PDA

View Full Version : Finding Divorce date?

Cormac
31 March 2008, 08:23 PM
I just found out that a deceased relative was divorced. I don't know if this relative has any living immediate family. I lost track of the other half back in the 1930s. I believe that this relative spent most of their live in Michigan.

How do I find out when the divorced happened?

SGilbert
31 March 2008, 09:58 PM
Ancestry or another online source MAY have a listing for the divorce. Otherwise, you would need to request a copy from the county/city clerk where the divorce occured

Cormac
02 April 2008, 06:56 PM
Other than knowing that a divorce occurred, I don't when it happened or where it happened. I am guessing that it happened in Michigan, but to which county I have NO idea. In fact, I have lost track of this relative after the 1910 census. I have looked on Ancestry.com and they don't have anything on divorce. I pretty sure there.

Thanks for the reply though.

Susan Assmus
18 April 2008, 03:29 PM
The Genealogy Sources Guide at the Archives of Michigan website at <http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7-160-17445_19273_19313---,00.html> indicates that "divorce or annulment records (1897+), can be obtained from the Michigan Department of Community Health, 201 Townsend Street, Capitol View Building, 3rd Floor, Lansing, Michigan 48913." It further indicates that patrons may also make use of divorce indexes 1897-1977 at the Library of Michigan and the Archives of Michigan. There is contact information on the website. Since you live in Tennessee, you could contact them to see if there was someone who could look up the information for you for a fee.