PDA

View Full Version : Changing from IExplorer to Safari

S. Craig
08 June 2005, 12:53 AM
Hi,

I recently bought an iMac G5 and via fire wire or USB was able to transfer my info from my iBook into my G5, when setting up my computer at one point it asked which web browser and I chose IE and now I would like to change to Safari.
I know I can just click on the logo at the bottom of my screen but when I click on a link in an e-mail or ReunionTalk, I would like for Safari to open instead. I checked in System Preferences and don't seem to be able to see where I need to change it. I know it has to be there, but can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance,

Sherry

David G. Kanter
08 June 2005, 02:16 AM
. . .when setting up my computer at one point it asked which web browser and I chose IE and now I would like to change to Safari.In the Safari Preferences->General, the first item is

S. Craig
08 June 2005, 11:43 AM
Hi David,

Thanks so much!! I knew it had to be simple but couldn't find it. I was looking in IE instead of Safari.

Thanks again,

Sherry

dfilpus
08 June 2005, 02:30 PM
This is the most counterintuitive design elements in MacOS X. You also change the default mail server in the Mail.app Preferences.

Mary Arthur
08 June 2005, 03:26 PM
This is the most counterintuitive design elements in MacOS X. You also change the default mail server in the Mail.app Preferences.It may be to you, but to me, "make this app my default" makes sense, I can't see how "stop this app from being my default" would be something that a programer would be expected to add, even were they inclined, as to me, obviously you would be choosing a new app to take the place of the old.

If Apple has designed the way it could be infered from your quote, "stop using the Apple app" and "use app 3 instead of app 2", only from within the Apple app, it is a little more misleading, but still, understandable, as IMO, most users can be expected to start out using the Apple apps and then decide on another, and I don't think that the Apple apps can be deleted (or should be).

dfilpus
08 June 2005, 04:32 PM
The preference is labeled "Default Web Browser" in Safari Preferences and "Default Email Reader" in Mail Preferences. These do not change the behavor of Safari or Mail, but these preferences change the behavior of any application that is trying to open a browser page or send/receive email. Since it applies systemwide, it would make more sense to be in the System Preferences, in my opinion.

Bob White
08 June 2005, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=David G. Kanter]In the Safari Preferences->General, the first item is

Steve W. Jackson
08 June 2005, 07:59 PM
The preference is labeled "Default Web Browser" in Safari Preferences and "Default Email Reader" in Mail Preferences. These do not change the behavor of Safari or Mail, but these preferences change the behavior of any application that is trying to open a browser page or send/receive email. Since it applies systemwide, it would make more sense to be in the System Preferences, in my opinion.
This is how it's done in Windows, which is a major reason I dislike it so much on my Mac. I too find it counterintuitive to have to go to Safari to designate some other browser as my default, and likewise for Mail.

Some programs will do it for you. For instance, I use Eudora for mail, and it has a preference setting to designate itself as my preferred email program. Too bad not all web browsers have this same capability.

But there is another alternative that works for these and more. RCDefaultApp (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22977) is a preference pane, which you can read about and download for free at Version Tracker.

= Steve =