PDA

View Full Version : Can't recognize my hard disk

Ruth Ann
07 June 2005, 01:38 PM
Thought maybe someone on this list might be able to help me. I bought a new IMac last month and just getting ready to copy my documents and Reunion file on a zip disk which is on my old 6400 Power mac. The problem is I had been organizing the files etc., and later in the day found the computer off and thought maybe the electricity blinked and went off even though my new computer did not. Started it back up and only get the disk thing with the blinking question in it. I can start it up with my OS 9 disk but won't let my repair disk as program quits because of error and then tried to restore my system software but can't recognize my hard disk. Does this mean that my hard disk is dead? I don't have a back up copy of my genealogy program as was running Reunion 6 and was going to put on my OS 9 on new computer and then update to Reunion 8 or the latest, which I think is Reunion 8.02. Just wondered if anyone can help me with this problem. Can a hard disk be taken out and repaired? Thanks for any help that you can give me.
Ruth Ann Leicher

SGilbert
07 June 2005, 01:48 PM
Do you not have either Disk Warrier or Tech Tool Pro? Either one would most likely repair your troubles.

Do you know anyone with a copy? Removal of the HD is the last option, and would not likely help you at all.

Ruth Ann
07 June 2005, 05:57 PM
Do you not have either Disk Warrier or Tech Tool Pro? Either one would most likely repair your troubles.

Do you know anyone with a copy? Removal of the HD is the last option, and would not likely help you at all.Do you think that buying either Disk Warrier or Tech Tool Pro would really help if my hard drive is dead? I now know that starting up with my OS 9 disk it does not show that I even have a hard drive. Thanks!

Steve W. Jackson
07 June 2005, 06:00 PM
Do you think that buying either Disk Warrier or Tech Tool Pro would really help if my hard drive is dead? I now know that starting up with my OS 9 disk it does not show that I even have a hard drive. Thanks!
A dead hard drive may not really be dead. It's possible that one or both of those programs could see the device and perform repairs that would then allow your system to boot from the drive again. If not, it's possible that you could at least get it repaired enough to gain access to some of what was on it while booted from a CD.

Based on numerous sources, I recommend buying both of those programs if you can afford to do so, as there are things they can each repair better than the other. But if your drive really is dead, I sure hope you've been keeping good backups. Otherwise, retrieving data from the drive could become very expensive.

= Steve =

SGilbert
07 June 2005, 09:20 PM
I think you would find that a drive salvage will cost many hundreds of dollars---far more than TT & DW cost together.

Both (especially DW) have saved my bacon several times!

If your OS9 disk starts up your computer, then it is still a viable computer and only your HD needs attention.

Unfortunately, neither are any good on OS-X, so consider them 1-shot wonders if you do not use 9 again.

Steve W. Jackson
08 June 2005, 08:07 PM
I think you would find that a drive salvage will cost many hundreds of dollars---far more than TT & DW cost together.

Both (especially DW) have saved my bacon several times!

If your OS9 disk starts up your computer, then it is still a viable computer and only your HD needs attention.

Unfortunately, neither are any good on OS-X, so consider them 1-shot wonders if you do not use 9 again.
Are you saying that there aren't OS X versions of these products? If so, that's incorrect -- I've recently bought and installed both.

Or are you suggesting that they aren't so good on OS X but were on OS 9 and earlier? If so, then I must disagree. There was an article last year sometime in TidBITS (http://www.tidbits.com/) comparing several disk and directory repair programs, including these and more. While none was perfect, the author gave detailed explanations of the good and bad for all of them. And the general recommendation coming from the comparison was that both are worth owning if you can pay the price. Having been a longtime user of Norton Utilities, and feeling betrayed by their dropping support for the Mac, the two articles on this subject and discussions in our local Mac user group led me to decide to buy both.

= Steve =

SGilbert
08 June 2005, 11:13 PM
No----What I thought I said is that these 2 for OS 9 aren't for OS X; and visa-versa.

If you know for a fact that 1 or both NOW will handle 9 & X, in the same program, I will gladly stand corrected.

(BTW: I have a dual-boot Ti Powerbook)

Ray Bowler
09 June 2005, 02:27 PM
Are you saying that there aren't OS X versions of these products? If so, that's incorrect -- I've recently bought and installed both.

Or are you suggesting that they aren't so good on OS X but were on OS 9 and earlier? If so, then I must disagree. There was an article last year sometime in TidBITS (http://www.tidbits.com/) comparing several disk and directory repair programs, including these and more. While none was perfect, the author gave detailed explanations of the good and bad for all of them. And the general recommendation coming from the comparison was that both are worth owning if you can pay the price. Having been a longtime user of Norton Utilities, and feeling betrayed by their dropping support for the Mac, the two articles on this subject and discussions in our local Mac user group led me to decide to buy both.

= Steve =
A further point is that the DW for OS X also has the OS 9 operating system on it and will boot in OS 9. A rather different attitude than most software but on on the reasons I like Alsoft.

Steve W. Jackson
09 June 2005, 06:56 PM
No----What I thought I said is that these 2 for OS 9 aren't for OS X; and visa-versa.

If you know for a fact that 1 or both NOW will handle 9 & X, in the same program, I will gladly stand corrected.

(BTW: I have a dual-boot Ti Powerbook)
As Ray Bowler points out, the latest Disk Warrior includes an OS 9 boot capability. But it's not really relevant if you have OS X. The OS X version will repair the directory structure for HFS+ without issues, and that's the same filesystem used in both OS 9 and OS X.

I too have a "dual-boot" PowerBook, but I can't remember the last time I booted into OS 9 -- I think it was in the last ice age. :)

= Steve =

SGilbert
10 June 2005, 01:17 AM
OK---I'm down on 1 knee. Only 1 because DW v3 handles 9 & X, but TT v4 only does X.

I just ponied up tonight for upgrades to both. DW 2 to 3; and TT 3 to 4. There are discounts for each for upgrades. (TT provides an upgrade price for Norton owners too).

Thanks all for making me realize that my utility inventory was out of date!