PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS 9.1> 10.4 conversion: sources are renumbered

ljirwin42
05 June 2005, 07:23 PM
I just got a Mac iBook with Mac 10.4 (Tiger) and Bluetooth installed. I'm converting from an iMac with OS 9.1.1 using Reunion 8.5.

I installed my Reunion 8 Update CD on the new machine. When I transfer a family file, by creating a New Family File, then using Import Family File, the data transfer just fine, but the new family file renumbers all the sources. These don't match the numbers I've assigned to them for my paper files and electronic files.

(I confess I'm using this as a work-around, since my attempts at transfering by File Sharing or UBS-to-UBS cable failed.)

Any suggestions most welcome.

Lee James Irwin

SGilbert
05 June 2005, 08:58 PM
You need to use the very same Family File you had on OS9. If your USB to USB failed, you need to transfer it someway else.

Tried CD-R, External HD, Target Disk Mode?

William Richards
06 June 2005, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=ljirwin42]I just got a Mac iBook with Mac 10.4 (Tiger) and Bluetooth installed. I'm converting from an iMac with OS 9.1.1 using Reunion 8.5.

Steve W. Jackson
06 June 2005, 06:47 PM
You indicated that a USB to USB connection failed. But you also indicated that you attempted to import an old family file. How did it get to your new machine? Or do you mean a really old family file, as in some outdated version?

I ask because, as someone else has suggested, you don't need to "import" anything at all. You simply need to find a means (via FireWire Target Disk Mode, crossover Ethernet, CD or CD-R, etc.) of getting your old family file onto your new system. Then Reunion will either open it directly or "upgrade" it by making a copy and then making any required changes in that copy to update to a new internal format used in Reunion 8. And when you do this, there will be no renumbering of sources since it's the same file as before.

= Steve =

SVass
06 June 2005, 06:47 PM
Buy a usb flashdrive (about $20 for 128 megabytes) and it acts like a floppy disk. Connect to one computer and down load, etc. It has the additional benefit of working at your public or Family History library for saving files for transfer.

Another simple choice is to email the file to yourself.

Do NOT connect a new machine to an old one via firewire! sam

Steve W. Jackson
06 June 2005, 06:51 PM
Buy a usb flashdrive (about $20 for 128 megabytes) and it acts like a floppy disk. Connect to one computer and down load, etc. It has the additional benefit of working at your public or Family History library for saving files for transfer.

Another simple choice is to email the file to yourself.

Do NOT connect a new machine to an old one via firewire! sam

I'm curious about the basis for your advice at the end there. Why should a new and old system not be connected via FireWire?

That is, in fact, one of the easiest and safest ways of connecting two systems when they're in the same location and you have control over them. Booting the old system while holding the T key, so that it goes into Target Disk Mode, will cause it to be seen by the new machine as if it were an external FireWire disk drive. You can copy all the files you need from the old system with little risk, then reboot it to a normal state when done.

Just curious...

= Steve =

Betty
06 June 2005, 10:52 PM
Do I understand you correctly that I can connect my 9.1 with an ethernet cable to my new 10.3.8 and export the Reunion 8 files from old to new?What is the correct procedure? Reunion 8 program is already installed on the new Mac. The old Mac was originally a 8.5 with SCSI. Thanks

Dave Wells
07 June 2005, 01:14 AM
I would suggest just emailing a copy of the Family file to yourself, or save it to your iDisk and then download it using the other Mac. Another alternative would be to buy a USB flash memory drive and use that to transfer it, since nobody seems to use floppies anymore.

John Hill
07 June 2005, 05:12 AM
You need to use the very same Family File you had on OS9. If your USB to USB failed, you need to transfer it someway else.

Tried CD-R, External HD, Target Disk Mode?

Or even just e-mail it to yourself on the new machine (preferably StuffIted, to cut down the file size)

John (Bournemouth)

Steve W. Jackson
07 June 2005, 05:57 PM
Do I understand you correctly that I can connect my 9.1 with an ethernet cable to my new 10.3.8 and export the Reunion 8 files from old to new?What is the correct procedure? Reunion 8 program is already installed on the new Mac. The old Mac was originally a 8.5 with SCSI. Thanks
The answer is a definite maybe. :)

If your old Mac is new enough to be running Mac OS 8.5, it probably has an Ethernet port. But you would need to go out and buy a special kind of Ethernet cable (crossover), so it may not be worthwhile -- especially if there are other options.

There have been a wide range of options suggested in this thread so far. Which one might be best, easiest, etc., depends very much on what specific model of Mac your old one is, whether it has USB ports, FireWire ports, whether you're a member of .Mac, and so on. If you'll provide some of those details, someone here will no doubt be able to give step by step, or even click by click, directions that can get you there.

= Steve =

SVass
07 June 2005, 06:05 PM
I'm curious about the basis for your advice at the end there. Why should a new and old system not be connected via FireWire?Steve, if the new computer is started in Target Disk Mode, Classic may ask to "rebuild the desktop" which could destroy the directory on a new computer. I would prefer to take no risks with files. Email and usb flash drives are far safer for file transfers. Actually email may lose the file type depending on the protocol. sam

Steve W. Jackson
07 June 2005, 06:23 PM
Steve, if the new computer is started in Target Disk Mode, Classic may ask to "rebuild the desktop" which could destroy the directory on a new computer. I would prefer to take no risks with files. Email and usb flash drives are far safer for file transfers. Actually email may lose the file type depending on the protocol. sam
I understand and agree with the desire to be safe with files.

There is actually no risk of directory damage from rebuilding the classic desktop. The mysterious and much misunderstood "desktop" in pre-OS X systems was really a couple of invisible files (far too large, IMHO, and far too easily corrupted, hence the need for a rebuild). These files reside on the boot volume and contain information needed to map file types and creators to applications or icons. There are no directories written in the process, but they are read. Also, any system started in FireWire Target Disk Mode and connected to would be seen as external drives, so Classic should not attempt to rebuild its desktop at all (at the very least, no such action should occur without requesting permission, which can be refused). A USB flash drive would suffer the very same risk of having its desktop rebuilt as using Target Disk Mode if there really were a risk. Since FireWire is significantly faster, it's a far better choice when available, but sadly there aren't any readily available "flash drives" using it for various reasons. Using email is often not possible because some ISPs strictly limit the size of files you can attach because they must, at least temporarily, consume the ISP's disk space. But it's an option that many can use if they don't face this problem. And the best way to prevent loss of file type data when using email is to compress the file with StuffIt first (there are other ways, but this one is fairly easy).

= Steve =

ttl
07 June 2005, 08:09 PM
Thought I'd highlight the central issue here... something that a number of folks have mentioned, but haven't lit up on a marquee:

Creating a new family file and importing data will cause your sources to be renumbered, but retaining, transferring, and using your original file will maintain the information integrity. A Reunion 8 file from OS 9 can be opened directly by Reunion 8 in OS X.

So just find a way to copy the file from one machine to the other using one or more of the many helpful suggestions.

And Steve, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all Macs for the past few years have been able to autodetect what kind of ethernet connection it has and will adjust appropriately, therefore a crossover cable is not needed. (The new Mac can do the compensation.)

theKiwi
07 June 2005, 08:46 PM
And Steve, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all Macs for the past few years have been able to autodetect what kind of ethernet connection it has and will adjust appropriately, therefore a crossover cable is not needed. (The new Mac can do the compensation.)Yes that is correct - any Ethernet cable will do what was suggested as the new Mac will figure out what it's being fed with its auto switching port.

Roger

ljirwin42
07 June 2005, 09:40 PM
I just got a Mac iBook with Mac 10.4 (Tiger) and Bluetooth installed. I'm converting from an iMac with OS 9.1.1 using Reunion 8.5.

I installed my Reunion 8 Update CD on the new machine. When I transfer a family file, by creating a New Family File, then using Import Family File, the data transfer just fine, but the new family file renumbers all the sources. These don't match the numbers I've assigned to them for my paper files and electronic files.

(I confess I'm using this as a work-around, since my attempts at transfering by File Sharing or UBS-to-UBS cable failed.)I'm happy to report that the situation is fixed.
Fellow lister David Kanter gets my Hero of the Day award for talking me through the solution by phone. Many thanks, too, for all who have sent along helpful suggestions. Lee James Irwin

Betty
07 June 2005, 11:49 PM

If your old Mac is new enough to be running Mac OS 8.5, it probably has an Ethernet port. But you would need to go out and buy a special kind of Ethernet cable (crossover), so it may not be worthwhile -- especially if there are other options.

There have been a wide range of options suggested in this thread so far. Which one might be best, easiest, etc., depends very much on what specific model of Mac your old one is, whether it has USB ports, FireWire ports, whether you're a member of .Mac, and so on. If you'll provide some of those details, someone here will no doubt be able to give step by step, or even click by click, directions that can get you there.I do thank all of you for your help.
I do not have USB ports or firewire, just ethernet 10BASE T and SCSI on the older Mac. I do have the same Reunion 8 program installed on the G 5 just waiting for info. I am not a member of .Mac.
Betty

S. Craig
08 June 2005, 12:45 AM
... or save it to your iDisk and then download it ...Does one have to have a .Mac subscription to be able to save it to my iDisk?

Thanks,
Sherry

theKiwi
08 June 2005, 09:29 AM
Does one have to have a .Mac subscription to be able to save it to my iDisk?Yes, the iDisk is a feature of a .Mac account. The "basic" iDisk is 250 MB of storage space on Apple's .Mac servers.

Cheers

Roger

STEVE
10 June 2005, 09:45 PM
These don't match the numbers I've assigned to them for my paper files and electronic files.

Lee James,

Probably changed everyone's ID number as well. You (as you have discovered by now) need to move the entire file from one computer to the other.

STEVE

Scott Gerstenberger
11 June 2005, 12:26 AM

= Steve =

I would think there's a pretty good chance that your new iBook has the kind of Ethernet interface that automatically determines whether a cross-over (or straight through) cable is needed and thus will work with whichever type of cable you use.

ttl
11 June 2005, 01:59 PM
I do thank all of you for your help.
I do not have USB ports or firewire, just ethernet 10BASE T and SCSI on the older Mac. I do have the same Reunion 8 program installed on the G 5 just waiting for info. I am not a member of .Mac.Hi Betty -

Did you get your answers?

If not, here's some of the steps.

Connect your two computers with an ethernet cable. Turn on your old computer, go to the apple menu, then control panels, then file sharing. Turn file sharing on by clicking the start button. Close everything up.

Start your G5. When you're logged in and sitting in the finder, select from the Finder menu File-->New Finder Window. In the window, click on Network, and in the next column over, your old computer should show up. (It might take a few moments..) Click on it, and then the Connect button. Highlight the hard drive your Reunion folder resides on, then enter your name and password for your old computer (hope you remember them!).

Your old computer should then show up in the list of volumes on the left of the Finder window, and you can copy files from it just as if it were a hard drive in your new computer.

Good luck!

Steve W. Jackson
13 June 2005, 06:09 PM
I probably should've done this to begin with, since it obviously became a question. But Apple's Knowledge Base has an article which specifically identifies which Mac models do or do not require an Ethernet crossover cable. It's at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717 for anyone interested. I can't recall just when Mac OS 8.5 came out and which models were then current, and I failed to consider the possibility that such a cable may not be needed depending on your system. I've pretty much forgotten all Mac OS releases prior to OS X 10.1, when I became a full-time user of the best operating system on the planet. :)

= Steve =

Betty
14 June 2005, 11:55 PM
Thank you both so much, shall go find an ethernet cable and see what happens. I have been dreading the possibility of having to enter my files manually again. Betty

Roy Derrick
29 June 2005, 01:12 AM
I've read through this thread carefully and suspect it contains pretty much all the information I need but, just so I'm absolutely clear, here is my situation.

I have a G3 iMac on which I am running Reunion 8.05. I have on order a G5 iMac. When it arrives, am I correct in understanding that I can transfer over the program, including my current Family File (using Firewire or one of the other methods mentioned), upgrade to 8.06, and my current Family File will open in OS 10.4?

Roy

David G. Kanter
29 June 2005, 02:52 AM
. . .I have a G3 iMac on which I am running Reunion 8.05.(As the thread title mentions OS 9.1, I'll presume your G3 iMac is running OS 9.2.2 or earlier.) When you ran the install on the G3 iMac from the Reunion CD, it correctly installed just the "Classic" version of the Reunion program

Roy Derrick
10 July 2005, 10:03 PM
Many thanks for the tips, David. My iMac G5 arrived late last week and I did the transfers and installation over the weekend. Everything went well. Reunion is running wonderfully in OS X Tiger. The only adjustment I may make is to change the font to accommodate the higher resoution on the screen. Thanks again for taking the time to help.