PDA

View Full Version : Viewing Family Tree Maker CD-ROMs

Al Poulin
30 January 2008, 03:47 PM
I have reviewed information about Family Tree Maker CD-ROMs at:
http://www.genealogy.com/cdhome.html

The options for viewing these disks are either a recent Family Tree Maker application for PCs or the free Family Archive Viewer which requires Windows 95 or higher.

We have a number of old FTM data CD-ROMs which are useable with FTM software version 3.02 for Macintosh running under OS 9 or in Classic. There is no FTM for OS X. We want to move entirely into using OS X 10.5 Leopard, precluding OS 9 and Classic except via the emulator SheepShaver 2.3 for OS X which runs System 7, MacOS 8, or OS 9. That should let us use the old Mac version of FTM.

But I would like to first try using the Family Archive Viewer. Some folks use CrossOver Mac to run Windows applications in Intel Macs. It seems that taking CrossOver would be the simpler than going into SheepShaver. Our only other alternatives would be to keep a G3 Lombard PowerBook with OS 9.1 or to buy a PC!

Questions: Has anyone been using either SheepShaver or CrossOver? Is either one satisfactory for researching FTM CD-ROMs on occasion?

Karen Peters
02 February 2008, 05:39 PM
Al,

This is not exactly an answer to your question, so feel free to ignore it, but if the PowerBook works, why not keep it? I've kept an old Toshiba laptop running Windows 95 with a cracked case and a barely viewable screen precisely to view Family Tree Maker CD-ROMs.

Cheers!

Bob White
03 February 2008, 02:20 PM
You didn't say which Mac you are currently using. If you have an Intel Mac, buy Parallels for $79 and install whichever version of Windows that you desire and then your viewer program within Parallels. Then you can honorably retire the Toshiba. Added benefit is that you will be able to copy and paste between the Parallels and Mac desktops by keys or dragging. I don't know if the dragging works with 95 or 98; it does work with XP and the new Vista.

Karen Peters
03 February 2008, 08:57 PM
Then you can honorably retire the Toshiba.

Honorably retire? Only when smoke actually starts rising from the keyboard!;)

Seriously, I only made the suggestion to Al because it would cost him nothing to keep the old G3 and (as long as it's still working) he might as well get some use out of it.

But, back to Al's question, has anyone used Sheepshaver or Crossover? Or is everyone using Parallels or Bootcamp?

theKiwi
03 February 2008, 09:47 PM
I have Parallels installed on my MacBook and it works fine to let me open Family Tree Maker files that people send to me.

Roger

Al Poulin
04 February 2008, 11:28 PM
I have Parallels installed on my MacBook and it works fine to let me open Family Tree Maker files that people send to me.

Are you doing this without running the Family Tree Maker application? Regrettably, reading the Family Tree Maker CD-ROMs may not be the same as opening the files you receive. The CD-ROMs require the free Family Archive Viewer or a Family Tree Maker application for either Windows or Macintosh. The FTM vendor quit support for the Macintosh version many years ago. Using CrossOver ($60) seems to be an alternative to Windows.

Expanding the set of options in my original post, one is to acquire the Windows FTM application ($35 new) and to use that with Boot Camp (taking on the added cost of a recent Windows). Another option is the virtualization route with Parallels ($80) or VMware Fusion ($60 on-line purchase) and then installing Windows 98 which my son gave me and which I fear is not a fun thing to do.

Unless someone can tell me that CrossOver is feasible, I guess the virtualization route with the old Windows carries the least risk at a reasonable expense. Thanks for all your thoughts.

Also, I enjoyed Karen's Toshiba model for this problem. I was hoping that someone else could put our old PowerBook to more productive use.

theKiwi
05 February 2008, 12:15 AM
Are you doing this without running the Family Tree Maker application?

I have Parallels, Windows XP Pro and Family Tree Maker software all involved in this mix.

Parallels was free after rebates when I bought the MacBook

Windows XP Pro is a 120 day trial version I got from someone who had a copy.

Family Tree Maker I bought on Ebay for $28, and that included a year of free Ancestry World Edition.

I don't know if Family Tree Maker will work with Cross Over, or whether it actually needs Windows to run.

Roger

Bob White
07 February 2008, 03:54 AM
.........Another option is the virtualization route with Parallels ($80) or VMware Fusion ($60 on-line purchase) and then installing Windows 98 which my son gave me and which I fear is not a fun thing to do...............
Actually, installing XP in Parallels was easier than installing it on a PC laptop that we own. (No oddball messages or running around in small circles!) Both the Parallels and the VM people have scripting that helps push the install right along. I would assume that the scripting is in there for 98 also. :)

theKiwi
07 February 2008, 09:02 AM
Actually, installing XP in Parallels was easier than installing it on a PC laptop that we own. (No oddball messages or running around in small circles!) Both the Parallels and the VM people have scripting that helps push the install right along. I would assume that the scripting is in there for 98 also. :)

Windows 98 works with Parallels, but it's nowhere near as seamless as Windows XP, and if this is for more than just a very fleeting use, I'd suggest trying to get Windows XP to use - Ebay has plenty of copies for sale.

There is no script for Windows 98 in Parallels, and things like copy/paste between environments doesn't work either.

I have both in Parallels, since I already had a Windows 98 disk but I'm now using Windows XP as it works much better.

Roger

Al Poulin
07 February 2008, 10:37 AM
Bob, Roger.
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences.