PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry.com Image Viewer

Al Poulin
29 January 2008, 04:01 PM
Using OS X 10.5 Leopard on a new iMac, does viewing census images in Ancestry.com still require the use of ExpressView (formerly MrSID) on our machine? If not, what else?

My wife has a brand new subscription to Ancestry.com after not using that resource for years. And I find ExpressView loaded on our old machine, wonderning whether we need a new version.

Bob Goode
29 January 2008, 04:15 PM
Using OS X 10.5 Leopard on a new iMac, does viewing census images in Ancestry.com still require the use of ExpressView (formerly MrSID) on our machine? If not, what else?

My wife has a brand new subscription to Ancestry.com after not using that resource for years. And I find ExpressView loaded on our old machine, wonderning whether we need a new version.

Once you view the image, then click on the save icon at the top of the image.
A new page will load and then control click to get the contextual menu. Then download to your Mac. Quite an improvement over the previous method of a few years back.

Bob

theKiwi
29 January 2008, 06:38 PM

You do not need a viewer or plugin to use Ancestry.com these days. The images load up in the browser (I use Safari) and you can zoom in on them, and save them without the addition of any other softwares

So have at it!!!

Cheers

Roger

mwphelps
29 January 2008, 07:08 PM
Once you view the image, then click on the save icon at the top of the image.
A new page will load and then control click to get the contextual menu. Then download to your Mac. Quite an improvement over the previous method of a few years back.

Bob

Al wasn't asking how to save an image. He was asking if the special browser add-in module needed to view the census images (or any image from Ancestry.com) is the same one as we've had to use for years. I wish they offered an upgrade for the Mac because the version for Windows is much more capable. It has the ability to find text in newspaper images, and do a live zoom into pieces of the image without zooming the entire image.

Tom Robinson
29 January 2008, 09:39 PM
Al wasn't asking how to save an image. He was asking if the special browser add-in module needed to view the census images (or any image from Ancestry.com) is the same one as we've had to use for years
OK, but you don't _need_ a viewer; either to view or save images. A standard install of Safari works fine as they come through as JPEG files.

findmypast has also recently dropped the need for a special viewer :)

Agnes E. Cloninger
29 January 2008, 09:55 PM

My wife has a brand new subscription to Ancestry.com after not using that resource for years. And I find ExpressView loaded on our old machine, wondering whether we need a new version.

No you don't, I have the most recent OS on a 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon and I do not have any image viewer nor have I downloaded on in many years. I did struggle with Mr Sid a very long time ago, was dissatisfied, scrapped it and have not used any such a device since. Ancestry seems to jog along without any special viewer no matter what they say. I also have a G4 laptop which does not have any viewer installed and Ancestry also functions just fine there.

I canceled my long membership with Ancestry a few years back in favor of Genealogy.com and when that went down hill I resubscribed to the Ancestry membership and never even considered installing a viewer - find no need to now either.

Agnes C

Michael Murdock
16 April 2008, 11:52 PM

Al,

I think you haven't been using Ancestry in awhile. I have been making full use
of the Federal Census Records for viewing purposes. I have not required
any use of third party viewer (other than what Apple supplies in the OS).
This my friends has basically been the same program since Jaguar which is
Preview. Minor version changes - same basic functionality. The OS I
currently use is Mac OS X 10.4.11 (haven't gone to Leopard yet). I download
these census records as I always find more later. I have found to ALWAYS
set the resolution at 200% and NEVER Lower! This may make for multiple
MB JPEGs though it is worth when you're trying to find something.

Just a suggestion.

Michael

John Hill
18 April 2008, 05:18 AM
Al,

I think you haven't been using Ancestry in awhile. I have been making full use
of the Federal Census Records for viewing purposes. I have not required
any use of third party viewer (other than what Apple supplies in the OS).
This my friends has basically been the same program since Jaguar which is
Preview. Minor version changes - same basic functionality. The OS I
currently use is Mac OS X 10.4.11 (haven't gone to Leopard yet). I download
these census records as I always find more later. I have found to ALWAYS
set the resolution at 200% and NEVER Lower! This may make for multiple
MB JPEGs though it is worth when you're trying to find something.

Just a suggestion.

Michael
I have never had a problem viewing Ancestry images, under 10.3 on a G4 PPC machine or since I moved up to 10.5 on an Intel iMac.
You can choose the size of image to suit your immediate needs; I usually find 50% (the default) too small, and go straight to 100%. I don't know about Safari, but Firefox remembers this magnification for subsequent use of the same census or BMD set in the same tab. I go to 150% or 200% only if needed.
To download images, I use the Print button at the top right of the window and control-click (or right-click now I have Mighty Mouse) on the image that appears. This downloads as good a resolution as you can get and of course only one image. The downside is that I have to rename each image from image.x to "reference".jpg either before or after downloading it.
There is certainly no need for fancy viewing software. You can view the downloaded image in Preview as Michael says, or in any sensible browser; you can at a pinch import it into Word! My choice is GraphicConverter, because with that I can align it and trim off the spare round the edges before I print it should I wish to do so.
John.