PDA

View Full Version : Importing into Reunion 8

Isabel
31 May 2005, 06:26 PM
I am about to begin using Reunion on a new MAC and have been using Legacy on a pc. My Reunion stuff hasn't arrived yet so I am just getting prepared for this as my old pc is about to be dismantled so I need to save my old info and a GEDCOM seemed the best way.

I have read the advice on ReunionTalk about importing GEDCOMS and am still not clear which version of GEDCOM I should use. Or how I should avoid the import problems that some people seem to have had.

My Legacy export offers a myriad of GEDCOM files such as PAF 2, 3, GEDCOM 5.5, basic, generic, Clooz (???) etc., etc. and I am wondering which one is best for Reunion. I am assuming GEDCOM 5.5 is the right one but I'd like confirmation of that!!

I see people have problems seeing the file if the GEDCOM file isn't set to TXT - does that mean the file extension should be .txt not .ged? Or is it about choosing the file format on the export menu?

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar and could give some advice?

Many thanks

AE Palmer
01 June 2005, 06:52 PM
GEDCOM 5.5 with standard settings is the best overall format. As for the .TXT vs. .GED extention, Reunion can be fussy about importing files from other programs. That said, it WILL accept the data with a little tweaking. The procedure I use is to have all GEDCOMs sent with the .GED extention, and to use a word processor (Applworks, Word, etc.) to do the tweaking. It is a matter of opening the file using the WP and re-saving (without making any changes) the file as text with the .GED extention. For some obscure reason Reunion will then work as advertised when importing your data.

Mark Williamson
02 June 2005, 12:41 AM
One piece of advice that seems clear from previous discussions of importing into Reunion is that you should plan to have your PC around long enough to be able to check that Reunion has imported everything properly. Maybe if you have printed out absolutely everything, you may be able to work from the printouts, but I would find working from the previous software (Legacy for you) easier.

fjvanbodegom
02 June 2005, 05:35 AM
Sorry I disagree with AE Palmer with changing the extension.
It does not matter what extension is used, it can be .txt or .ged; Reunion can import it (but of course the gedcomfile must be in plain text format)
Reunion has NO problem with importing a gedcomfile with the extension .txt or .ged, so there is no need to change the extension from .ged to .txt as described by AE Palmer.

The method Palmer describes is only valid when you want to import a gedcomfile that is (perhaps accidently) formatted by a wordprocessor, so the file is not in plain text format.

AE Palmer
02 June 2005, 06:48 PM
Sorry I disagree with AE Palmer with changing the extension.
It does not matter what extension is used, it can be .txt or .ged; Reunion can import it (but of course the gedcomfile must be in plain text format)
Reunion has NO problem with importing a gedcomfile with the extension .txt or .ged, so there is no need to change the extension from .ged to .txt as described by AE Palmer.

I was not advocating any changes from .GED to .TXT or vice-versa. just suggesting that the use of a word processor will sometimes alter the gedcom file in a subtle way that allows Reunion to accept an otherwise reluctant data file.

The method Palmer describes is only valid when you want to import a gedcomfile that is (perhaps accidently) formatted by a wordprocessor, so the file is not in plain text format.

Hardly! At least in OS 9.x, I have had Reunion v7 and 8 refuse gedcom files created by other (PC) programs. However, once these files have been opened and re-saved without modification

Drew Scott
03 June 2005, 12:22 AM
The point being that the use of a WP program can make some obsure modifaction to these files which Reunion seems to like. (What and how, is completely beyond my 30+ years of programming experience).

I would guess it is the line feeds that Windows inserts at the end of each line of text. Your word processor is probably smart enough to remove these.

Drew

Bob White
03 June 2005, 06:15 PM
My experience with importing from other software via a GEDCOM is simplistic compared to the above somewhat involved discussion. I have found that Reunion seems to be a little finicky about 5.5 format but very smoothly imports 5.0 format. So, when my PC relatives want to share, I ask them to save in 5.0 format.

Steve W. Jackson
03 June 2005, 06:41 PM
There seems to be some ongoing confusion about file name extensions, opening GEDCOM files in word processors, etc. The matter is really simple. And file extensions have no bearing, regardless of what anyone thinks.

With or without the use of an extension, only those running Reunion in Mac OS 9 (or earlier) can have the problem some have alluded to where some GEDCOM files created on a PC can't seem to be imported until they've been opened in a word processor and saved. The problem has to do with the "type code" assigned to the file, not on the extension (or lack of one) or whether the file was created on a PC (I could actually duplicate this situation on my Mac). The typical advice from Leister and many of us who've encountered this problem has been to open the file in a word processor and save it as plain text; I usually suggested some text editor instead. In pre-OS X systems, that ended up changing the file's type code to "TEXT", which is what actually mattered. In all Reunion versions prior to 8, which couldn't run in OS X, this magically appeared to fix the file. Running Reunion 8 in OS X, it's not an issue, though it can still surface with Reunion 8 or any other version under Classic.

= Steve =

rdw1936
04 June 2005, 04:10 PM
My experience with importing from other software via a GEDCOM is simplistic compared to the above somewhat involved discussion. I have found that Reunion seems to be a little finicky about 5.5 format but very smoothly imports 5.0 format. So, when my PC relatives want to share, I ask them to save in 5.0 format.Hi Bob,
I am trying to find a GEDCOM on my family that I can import. If I find one, and I know that they exist, I am not sure how to import it. I am new to this in a sense in that I have not worked on genealogy in a while, and I have aged--my memory is not what it used to be 60 years ago.

Bob Wheelock

Mary Arthur
05 June 2005, 01:08 AM
I am trying to find a GEDCOM on my family that I can import. If I find one, and I know that they exist, I am not sure how to import it. I am new to this in a sense in that I have not worked on genealogy in a while, and I have aged--my memory is not what it used to be 60 years ago...If you open the Reunion manual, one of the bookmarks is "importing a gedcom" and it gives great instructions. (It is one of the best manuals I have seen).

Philpott
06 June 2005, 03:10 PM
GEDCOM 5.5 with standard settings is the best overall format. As for the .TXT vs. .GED extention, Reunion can be fussy about importing files from other programs. That said, it WILL accept the data with a little tweaking. The procedure I use is to have all GEDCOMs sent with the .GED extention, and to use a word processor (Applworks, Word, etc.) to do the tweaking. It is a matter of opening the file using the WP and re-saving (without making any changes) the file as text with the .GED extention. For some obscure reason Reunion will then work as advertised when importing your data.I would like to be in touch by email with AE Palmer, if he is so inclined, as I too am researching family in Friesland.

peter.philpott@healthonecares.com

Isabel
07 June 2005, 06:47 PM
Dear all

Thank you for your advice. I have imported using GEDCOM 5.5 and it has worked with all my notes and sources copied across. Only glitch, if you can call it one, is that some information is in the Notes or Events rather than on the front Facts screen but no doubt I can sort that. I haven't looked at the online instructions yet to see if they help me with this but that is my next step.

Meanwhile AE Palmer - I am researching Palmers from Kenmare, Co. Kerry - would these be any connection of yours?