PDA

View Full Version : Problem with creating word processor reports

Rauser
28 May 2005, 01:14 AM
Hello, I'm experiencing the following problem with Reunion 8.06:

Whenever I try to generate a report (it doesn't matter which kind) and I have the Destination selected as a word processor (rather than .txt or .rtf, etc.) I get an error dialog that says:

Unable to create file

It doesn't matter if I select a different word processor from Word or Pages, I still get the same error. Creating a .txt or .rtf doesn't run into any problems at all.

It's a minor issue and I can still generate reports, but I thought I'd report it all the same. Perhaps some enlightened soul can recommend a solution.

Regards,
Chris

Michael
31 May 2005, 02:04 PM
Whenever I try to generate a report (it doesn't matter which kind) and I have the Destination selected as a word processor (rather than .txt or .rtf, etc.) I get an error dialog that says:

Unable to create file:Hi Chris,

There could be a few things causing the problem. First, you'll want to ensure that you have a valid reports folder defined for Reunion. If there isn't a valid reports folder, Reunion won't be able to create reports. You can check this by choosing Options -> Reports in the top Reunion menu bar. On the Report Options window, click on the Report Folder sidebar option. If the folder location listed here doesn't exist on your hard drive, you'll want to click the "Change" button to assign a new folder location.

If the folder location does exist on your hard drive, it's possible that you don't have sufficient OS X privileges for this folder. This could be due to incorrect or damaged ownership and permissions settings. As a quick test, change your report folder location to your Desktop or your Documents folder and try to create a report. If you're able to create the report, then it is possible that your permissions have been damaged. You'll want to use the Disk Utility (in your Utilities folder) to repair your permissions settings.

Incidentally, this problem is similar to the problem in this thread...

http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=282

Rauser
02 June 2005, 10:36 PM
Yes, Michael, you are correct--it was a permissions problem. The reports folder preference was pointed to the Reunion folder in Applications, definitely a no-no. I redirected it to my genealogy folder in ~/Documents/ and everything works fine now.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Regards - Chris