PDA

View Full Version : Great Grandparents

Patricia
24 December 2007, 11:46 AM
Help! Has something gone wrong with my program? I have a 8th G Grandparent who has two sons which are also 8th G Grandparents.They are G.Grandparents but how can they also be 8th as their father?

Dennis J. Cunniff
24 December 2007, 01:42 PM
Help! Has something gone wrong with my program? I have a 8th G Grandparent who has two sons which are also 8th G Grandparents.They are G.Grandparents but how can they also be 8th as their father?

I think it's possible. The most likely explanation is that you are descended from the senior couple via two lines (that is, through two different children of the older couple) that have different numbers of generations in them.

Giving them names: Adam & Eve have two children, Benjamin and Carole. You are descended from Benjamin in a line that has 10 generations, and from Carol in a line that has 9 generations.

Via the Benjamin line, Benjamin is your 8th GGrandparent, and Adam is your 9th GGrandparent.
Via the Carole line, Carole is your 7th GGrandparent, and Adam is your 8th GGrandparent.

Reunion reports the closest relationship for each: Carole is 7th GGP, Adam is 8th GGP, Benjamin is 8th GGP.

If the same thing happens in Carole's next generation (two lines, one with fewer generations) you could get the results you describe. I think....

What does it look like when you print a descendant report with bold buttons only?

Reunion

Patricia
25 December 2007, 12:53 AM
I think it's possible. The most likely explanation is that you are descended from the senior couple via two lines (that is, through two different children of the older couple) that have different numbers of generations in them.

Giving them names: Adam & Eve have two children, Benjamin and Carole. You are descended from Benjamin in a line that has 10 generations, and from Carol in a line that has 9 generations.

Via the Benjamin line, Benjamin is your 8th GGrandparent, and Adam is your 9th GGrandparent.
Via the Carole line, Carole is your 7th GGrandparent, and Adam is your 8th GGrandparent.

Reunion reports the closest relationship for each: Carole is 7th GGP, Adam is 8th GGP, Benjamin is 8th GGP.

If the same thing happens in Carole's next generation (two lines, one with fewer generations) you could get the results you describe. I think....

What does it look like when you print a descendant report with bold buttons only?

Reunion

Hi!,
I can't email you as I don't have pop mail.
But it looks like what you say it is.I tried what you recommended but couldn't see anything bold.

Here is how it goes, 8th G Grandparents John and Dorothy have two sons John and Israel.
John is also 8th G Grandparent and his brother Israel is 7th G Grandfather
to my husband. It is very confusing.

Can you recommend something simple for my simple mind?

Dennis J. Cunniff
26 December 2007, 04:58 PM
Hi!,
I can't email you as I don't have pop mail.
But it looks like what you say it is.I tried what you recommended but couldn't see anything bold.

Here is how it goes, 8th G Grandparents John and Dorothy have two sons John and Israel.
John is also 8th G Grandparent and his brother Israel is 7th G Grandfather
to my husband. It is very confusing.

Can you recommend something simple for my simple mind?

Sorry, I forgot that not everyone has bold buttons ;(

What you can do is mark all of your husband's ancestors, then go to John & Dorothy, and make a descendant chart or descendant report showing marked descendants only.

That should give you a complete record of all the lines between your husband and John & Dorothy, and you can see if the relationships make sense.

(I think that it doesn't matter if you have POP or IMAP or any other kind of e-mail, you still should be able to e-mail me?)

Shirley Atkinson
26 December 2007, 09:35 PM
I have the same problem with a "bulge" in the tree. Thomas, 9th ggfather, has 2 children, Nicholas & Mary. Mary marries Robert and that line goes to Chloe, 3ggmother on her mother's side. Mary dies & her husband Robert marries & has Margaret.
Meanwhile Nicholas marries & has Gaulter. Gaulter marries Margaret (Robert's daug.).
Their line also goes to Chloe (3 ggmother) on her father's side.

Reunion calculates Mary as my husband's 8thggmother; her brother Nicholas calculates as 9th ggfather as does Thomas, the original father.

But Nicholas and his father Thomas can't both be 9th ggfathers. The relationship is only correct through Mary.

How does Reunion decide which side of the family to count from?

Bob Goode
26 December 2007, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=
How does Reunion decide which side of the family to count from?[/QUOTE]

I understand the issue and hope I can clearly state what I perceive to be what I believe to be a common phenomenon.

I believe Reunion takes the shortest route to a person and counts that person as x great grandfather even if one of his children can also be the same number.

This happens at least twice and I think three times in my tree. My 5g is George and he has two sons, William and Basil, who both are 5g. The first George remarries and has a son, George who is my 4g. If you understand that branches of the tree marry then this is fairly easy to understand.

Following the 5g George down from his second marriage to the me, as source person the numerical sequence is 5-4-3-2-1.

However, If you follow 5g George down with his first marriage then he is really a 6g. His sons, William and Basil are also 5 g. Following William down is William 5-4-3-2-1. Basil is the same. This make the first George both a 5g and 6g. Reunion only shows him as 5g. I made a comment in the notes section explaining the reason for the oldest George being a 5g and a 6g.

I don't have a problem with this because the further back you go with ancestors the more likely something such as this will occur.

I admit the first time I saw that one grandfather was the father of three of my grandfathers, I was a bit confused and bemused when I figured it out.

Of course,my wife states, "that explains a lot about me and my family." :)

I hope I have clarified the issue rather than "muddied the water further."

Bob

Patricia
30 December 2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks to all who have helped! Although it is confusing I understand.
This also explains my family :)