PDA

View Full Version : Instructions for creating .mac site

johncreelman
25 May 2005, 04:13 PM
I'm new here but I'm wondering whether anyone has developed step by step instructions for creating a .mac Reunion site. I gather there are issues surrounding downloading, naming of 'index' file, updating without having to completely re-download and photos.

I'm sure some of these issues have been addressed in various posts but a 'dummies' guide would be terribly helpful.

Many thanks,

John Creelman

Steve W. Jackson
25 May 2005, 07:21 PM
I'm new here but I'm wondering whether anyone has developed step by step instructions for creating a .mac Reunion site. I gather there are issues surrounding downloading, naming of 'index' file, updating without having to completely re-download and photos.

I'm sure some of these issues have been addressed in various posts but a 'dummies' guide would be terribly helpful.

Many thanks,

John CreelmanI don't currently have any Reunion web cards on my .Mac site, but I have numerous other things and think I can address your question.

There are multiple ways to create your .Mac web site made up of Reunion's web cards. It depends on whether or not you want to use the Homepage tools Apple provides to create what they consider multiple sites. I'll highlight more than one approach.

1 Without using Homepage at all, you can simply generate your web cards and copy them from the folder where Reunion created them to the "Sites" folder on your iDisk. The name of the "index" file isn't really relevant unless you want it to be. If the file is named "wc_toc.htm", the URL to get to your new site becomes http://homepage.mac.com/yourname/wc_toc.htm when you do this. Or, if you want to eliminate the page name at the end of the URL, you can have Reunion name it "index.html" and Apple's servers will automatically load it when the URL says http://homepage.mac.com/yourname (with or without a trailing slash).

2 Whether you're using Homepage or not, you can still create a folder inside the "Sites" folder on your iDisk using any name and copy your web cards from where Reunion generates them into that folder. Use the "wc_toc" style name or anything else you prefer for the "index" file, and the URL of http://homepage.mac.com/yourname/foldername/indexfilename will get you there. You need to know, however, that Apple's Homepage tool won't let you make any adjustments to that "site" if you created it manually.

3 When you use Apple's Homepage tools, you need to take multiple steps when you first create the "site" containing your Reunion-generated web cards. First, you'll have to go into Homepage by visiting www.mac.com and create a new site. This will create a folder inside the "Sites" folder of your iDisk with the specified name. Once that's done, you need to copy the web cards from where Reunion placed them into this new folder. Next, go back to Homepage and choose that new Site. In the "Create a Page" section at the bottom, choose "Advanced". It should then show "External HTML", which you should click. It will show a list of the HTML files in that new folder, where you can pick one to use as the "index" page for this site. Have Homepage publish the "site" and it will tell you the URL to use for it. This particular approach has the advantage of allowing you to set a password on the new "site" when you create it, so that you can give that password to only those you trust to view your information. But it's not as good as having user accounts and passwords, which is only possible with a web server.

There aren't any issues I'm aware of with photos included in your web cards when placed on a .Mac or any other web site. Reunion includes them if you tell it to do so, and they'll be GIF or JPG files -- standard formats handled by all current browsers. So if they're included in what Reunion generates, simply duplicate the entire file/folder structure to whatever place is appropriate and you're good to go.

As I mentioned above, there's not really any issue with the "index" file's name. Apple's web server, like many, expects your default index file to have a certain name if you don't include it in the URL. I'm reasonably sure that they only support "index.html", but that's not really a factor.

I'm not sure what you may mean about downloading and re-downloading. I'm guessing you mean uploading instead of downloading. If so, you're likely referring to the fact that Reunion generates entire sets of web cards and doesn't readily identify those which have actual content changes (other than the new creation date). That particular problem is the reason that I created a program called FolderUpdater. You can find information on it at http://homepage.mac.com/stevejackson/MacStuff.html and download it there if you wish. The general idea is to generate your set of web cards and upload them to your web server (or iDisk, in the case of a .Mac account) once, then keep them for future reference. On subsequent generation of web cards, FolderUpdater will copy and delete files as needed in that baseline set, then provide a list of what changes you need to make on your web server.

Let me know if I've muddied the instructions in any way and I'll get it square. And there are numerous others here who've used .Mac accounts with their Reunion web cards, so no doubt they'll be able to make it better.

= Steve =

martha
27 May 2005, 01:38 AM

I'm sure some of these issues have been addressed in various posts but a 'dummies' guide would be terribly helpful.I was definitely interested in this "dummies' guide" - not necessarily for a .mac site, but for any site. Steve, are your instructions valid for any site? I have a lot of space available to me on my University site, but don't have any idea at all of how to go about this.

Martha Lev-Zion

Steve W. Jackson
01 June 2005, 06:44 PM
I was definitely interested in this "dummies' guide" - not necessarily for a .mac site, but for any site. Steve, are your instructions valid for any site? I have a lot of space available to me on my University site, but don't have any idea at all of how to go about this.Part of these instructions are more or less specific to a .Mac site in that they refer to the (optional) use of Apple's Homepage tools and the folder (directory) structure of a user's iDisk space. But item number 1 can be applied generically to most web server spaces.

Your ISP or other provider of web space will tell you the proper form of a URL when you put files on their server. But generally, you'll still be able to copy all your Reunion-generated HTML files/folders into this space. Start with the URL they provide, which will refer to the "root" of some storage area. Add to that the names of any folders you may have opted to create, following each with a slash ("/") character, and the name of the TOC page that Reunion created.

= Steve =

martha
03 June 2005, 02:24 AM
Part of these instructions are more or less specific to a .Mac site in that they refer to the (optional) use of Apple's Homepage tools and the folder (directory) structure of a user's iDisk space. But item number 1 can be applied generically to most web server spaces.

Your ISP or other provider of web space will tell you the proper form of a URL when you put files on their server. But generally, you'll still be able to copy all your Reunion-generated HTML files/folders into this space. Start with the URL they provide, which will refer to the "root" of some storage area. Add to that the names of any folders you may have opted to create, following each with a slash ("/") character, and the name of the TOC page that Reunion created.Thanks Steve!! I'll discuss this with them next week! It is nice to know that we can always count on your good graces and deep knowledge of these mysterious things!

Martha

Thomas Blomberg
19 June 2005, 11:05 PM
As several have pointed out in another thread, uploading to .mac by dragging the Renunion web folder into the apropriate folder in your iDisk unfortunately takes an extremly long time, often several days even with broadband. And because of the long update, you easily may run into problems.
It seems that the reason is the way .Mac handles the uploads.
I run a local community website on my .mac account, beside my Renunion stuff. That website is created with a wonderful shareware called Rapidweaver. Now, here comes the interesting stuff: the local community site totals some 11 Mb of material, and if I create it locally in Rapidweaver and then upload the folder to iDisk, it takes several hours. However, I can also, from within Rapidweaver, upload all the pages directly to my preferred .Mac address, and if I do that, it's done within five minutes! And, even better, whenever I've done any changes in Rapidweaver, the software keeps track of them and sends only the changed pages to my .Mac account, often in less than a minute!
This shows that are faster ways of uploading to .Mac. My question is if anyone knows of a way to upload Reunion material quicker than by dragging into iDisk (yes, I know about the helper FolderUpdate. It's a help, but still quite cumbersome to use)?
I saw someone mentioning Transmit and similar ftp programmes for uploading to iMac. Would that make it faster in any way?

Thomas Blomberg
20 June 2005, 10:12 PM
Yes! FTP was the solution! Without waiting for any reply (and none seems to be coming), I decided to try uploading the web version of my Renunion to .Mac with Transmit instead of dropping the folder into iDisk.
My web version is quite large (some 3,400 files with a combined size of almost 18Mb), and the drag and drop to iDisk takes several days.
So how long did it take with Transmit? Wait for it... 25 minutes!!
The speed when doing an FTP upload is of course depending on your connection speed, and I have a quick one (0.5Mb up and 8Mb down), but even if you're using an old modem it will be drastically faster than dragging and dropping into the iDisk.
Dragging and dropping seems to be just as slow when you have a fast broadband as when you're on an analogue modem, due to some internal checking and registering of each file on Apple's server. However, FTRP uploads seem to bypass that checking function - and the pages work just as well anyway.
You can try Transmit for free from http://www.panic.com/transmit/, but I think you'll find that the fully fledged version is well worth its $30!
Using it is dead simple in this case: When you start it up, you immediately see your iDisk in the right-hand window. Just click on it to find and open the "Sites" folder. Then locate your new webfolder in the left-hand window (as a default it displays your desktop), drag it across to the Sites folder and then watch the files flying across while you have a nice cup of coffee.

Steve W. Jackson
21 June 2005, 07:14 PM
Yes! FTP was the solution!
Actually, as I indicated in a reply to your post on the other .Mac-related thread, FTP isn't involved at all. Transmit just happens to handle the WebDAV protocol used by .Mac. But it's good that you've found a workable solution for those who need to upload large quantities on a reoccurring basis.

= Steve =

cutemartin
16 July 2005, 05:58 AM
Actually, as I indicated in a reply to your post on the other .Mac-related thread, FTP isn't involved at all. Transmit just happens to handle the WebDAV protocol used by .Mac. But it's good that you've found a workable solution for those who need to upload large quantities on a reoccurring basis.Perhaps those nice people at LeisterPro could add .Mac functionality into a future upgrade???? ;-)

On another note, does anyone know if it is possible to create template pages (in Dreamweaver or whatever) which Reunion could then use instead of its own styles when creating web cards?

martin

theKiwi
16 July 2005, 09:48 AM
On another note, does anyone know if it is possible to create template pages (in Dreamweaver or whatever) which Reunion could then use instead of its own styles when creating web cards?No this is not possible.

You can use a Text Editor afterwards to modify the Web Cards that Reunion makes - I used to modify mine using a series of Find and Replace operations in BBEdit Lite to change them to look like this...

http://clanmoffat.org/WebCards/ps/ps108_446.html

http://clanmoffat.org/WebCards/wc/wc02_010.html

There were quite a few steps to do separately on all the ps files and all the wc files, as well as changes to make to the src and pi as well.

Roger