PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto and Reunion

pwilk
07 March 2005, 06:42 PM
Does anybody have a clever way to use iPhoto and Reunion together?

Sharon Lunde
07 March 2005, 07:23 PM
I add photos frequently to Reunion from iphoto.
Click on Multimedia. Open the multimedia window.
Click on add Item. this should get you in to your photo library.
Open the picture you want from your albums and it appears on
your on the family card. Very simple.

dcosten
07 March 2005, 08:05 PM
Does anybody have a clever way to use iPhoto and Reunion together?When you are in the multimedia view of an individual or family in Reunion, you can drag and drop photos out of iPhoto. Is this what you were talking about? I believe Reunion and MacFamilyTree are the only two actively supported genealogy applications that allow for this.

Edit: What Sharon said.

C. Osten

Norman Turrill
07 March 2005, 09:41 PM
The concern that I have is the duplication of photos in both places takes more disk space. Is there a way to share the same set of photo files, say by easily placing aliases in the Reunion folder to the real files stored in iPhoto?

swannyt
09 March 2005, 06:45 PM
I usually use Graphic Converter to make the picture into a small .gif. I then drop the picture into picture folder found in the Reunion folder and then into the subfolder. (I have several subfolders for family pictures. This makes it so much easier to find a picture when editing. I have up to 33 pictures in one of the 5 folders which I have identified for a specific family line.)Is iPhoto easier and how small can you make the picture?

Michael
09 March 2005, 07:26 PM
The concern that I have is the duplication of photos in both places takes more disk space. Is there a way to share the same set of photo files, say by easily placing aliases in the Reunion folder to the real files stored in iPhoto?Reunion only stores the links to your photos -- it won't create any duplicates of them.

jimrite
09 March 2005, 09:02 PM
The problem with linking photos to your iPhoto library is that you are then wedded to that computer. If you archive your photos to exernal storage, or if you want to also run Reunion on a laptop for field research, or if you migrate to another computer (which you eventually will) your photos won't follow you--at least not easily. Better to export photos from iPhoto and store them in a folder designated specifically for Reunion.

Kim
10 March 2005, 06:53 PM
I usually use Graphic Converter to make the picture into a small .gif. I then drop the picture into picture folder found in the Reunion folder and then into the subfolder. (I have several subfolders for family pictures. This makes it so much easier to find a picture when editing. I have up to 33 pictures in one of the 5 folders which I have identified for a specific family line.)Is iPhoto easier and how small can you make the picture?

When you say 'small .gif' exactly how small are you talking. Is there an optimum size for photos linked to Reunion?

Wendell
11 March 2005, 01:58 PM
Yes iphoto is a very good way to update your Reunion 8 multimedia pictures

Wendell

Bill McQuary
14 March 2005, 02:22 PM
Kim,

I'm not sure there is an optimum size (height and width), but there is an optimum resolution for images linked to Reunion. They should all be 72 dots per inch (dpi) since that's about the highest resolution you Mac's monitor will display and will keep each image's file size small. Moreover, I recommend you save photographs and scans of people in JPEG format since it captures thousands of colors. Save images of charts, diagrams and maps in GIF format which is limited to 256 colors.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bill