PDA

View Full Version : No Social Security number?

Cormac
15 December 2007, 05:52 PM
Hi all,

I just got a copy of a death certificate for relative. She died in 1963 (Michigan), but had NO SSN listed.

Is that possible? I would have thought that most, if not all, people by then would have had a SSN.

SGilbert
15 December 2007, 06:03 PM
It would all depend upon what the "Informant" gave. It legally does not need to be on a death certificate.

She needed to have one for tax purposes, among MANY other uses.

Check SSDI

dfilpus
15 December 2007, 07:49 PM
Having gone through dealing with a death of a family member in Michigan, I could not get the probate court to issue a death certificate without the Social Security number for the decedent. Times have changed.

Cormac
15 December 2007, 08:18 PM
It would all depend upon what the "Informant" gave. It legally does not need to be on a death certificate.

She needed to have one for tax purposes, among MANY other uses.

Check SSDI

Thanks, but I have checked SSDI and came up empty. I tried using her nickname, nada. I tried using her maiden name, nada. Btw, I have no idea if she has any living relatives.

Should I try for a social security number application?

Karen Peters
15 December 2007, 08:27 PM
Hi all,

I just got a copy of a death certificate for relative. She died in 1963 (Michigan), but had NO SSN listed.

Is that possible? I would have thought that most, if not all, people by then would have had a SSN.

Was she ever employed in a job that required a SSN after 1936? If she didn't work outside the home, she may not have needed one. Everybody gets one now, but it used to be that you only got one if you were working and paying into SS.

SGilbert
15 December 2007, 08:54 PM
I just got a copy of a death certificate for relative.....Btw, I have no idea if she has any living relatives.

That doesn't compute! :)

Bob White
16 December 2007, 02:45 AM
I just took a look at the Social Security site. The IRS started using the SSN as the identifier number in 1962. When Medicare was passed in 1965, almost everyone 65 or older that didn't have a SSN had to get one.

So if she wasn't employed and didn't have to file a tax return for 1962 or 1963, she didn't need a SSN.

Cormac
16 December 2007, 05:23 AM
That doesn't compute! :)

You mean that children or grandchildren don't compute? :) If I knew she had any of either, I could ask them.

SGilbert
16 December 2007, 10:34 AM
You mean that children or grandchildren don't compute? :) If I knew she had any of either, I could ask them.

What I meant was, and I suspect you "got" it, that YOU are a living relative---just not, apparently, a direct descendant.

linders
16 December 2007, 01:48 PM
Hi all,

Check the social security death index.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

Terry Medlar
16 December 2007, 02:38 PM
Check the social security death index.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi
It may show nothing. In 1962, many people were still not covered by SS. For example, federal government workers and teachers.

Agnes E. Cloninger
17 December 2007, 07:40 PM
Hi all,

You have been provided with some excellent suggestions as to why no SS#, she probably did not have one at that date millions of people did not have one.
You are looking for living descendants, perhaps hoping to locate them through SS info, you cannot do that, but you can find at least something about them from her obituary - you know she died in Michigan and have her death certificate, so you know the date of her demise, and where she was living including I hope the name of the mortuary involved. Mortuary records are a wonderful source of information and I would hope that the privacy laws may not apply to records as old an 1963. Otherwise there are always newspaper obituaries and the records of the Church she attended, any of which could provide names of survivors. Also you have not told us how old she was when she died - which might be relevant to someone wanting to help you.