PDA

View Full Version : Use of Reunion with a pocket computer

SAINT GIRONS
05 December 2007, 01:35 AM
Good morning from Paris,

I am looking for a pocket computer I could use with Reunion. The size of an Iphone would be ideal.
Would Iphone do the job or, if not, would somebody have any recommendation ?

Many thanks

Bob White
05 December 2007, 04:13 PM
I uploaded a Reunion web card set to my iDisk on .Mac and I am the only one who knows the URL. Thus, I can access my file from any Mac, PC, iPhone, iTouch and other Internet capable devices.

Tom Robinson
05 December 2007, 05:47 PM
Reunion only runs on Macs, so for editing data (as opposed to viewing) your only option is the smallest MacBook.

Bob White
06 December 2007, 08:36 PM
Reunion only runs on Macs, so for editing data (as opposed to viewing) your only option is the smallest MacBook.
I was assuming, maybe wrongly, that Saint Girons already has a Mac.

SAINT GIRONS
08 December 2007, 11:09 AM
I was assuming, maybe wrongly, that Saint Girons already has a Mac.

Yes Bob I have a MAC. I was only hoping to find a pocket computer compatible with a Mac software such as Reunion.
When I participate to family weddings for example, I would love to have all my family datas in my pocket. That was a dream.

Thanks for your concern

Jean-Michel Saint Girons, Paris, France

Bob White
08 December 2007, 01:48 PM
If you want to take a chance on a Palm PDA (.... I say chance because the company seems to be having lots of problems) or already have one:

Look at these two softwares: GedWise at http://www.batteryparksoftware.com/index.html AND MyRoots at http://www.tapperware.com/MyRoots/index.html

I have used both when I had a Palm. (It's demise was a darned good excuse to purchase an iPhone!) While both are good, I prefer GedWise as its navigation is a bit more intuitive and it is faster. In both instances, you export a GEDCOM from Reunion and process it with the "on the Mac" part of their software. This creates ".pdb" files for the Palm. And the next time that you synch, you have a bunch of relatives in your shirt pocket.

There are several older threads here in ReunionTalk on both items. Just do a search on either name and you should locate them.

Sara
10 December 2007, 07:33 PM
When I participate to family weddings for example, I would love to have all my family datas in my pocket. That was a dream.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned pod cards? If you only want to be able to reference your data and not edit it this might be a possible solution. The drawback is the limited number of cards you can include but you could take along only the appropriate data for the family involved in a particular event.

Bob White
10 December 2007, 09:04 PM
You said it, Sara. Most of us have a lot more data than the small limitation. At one time, I tried it on my older iPod Photo. It was readable but kind of clumsy to navigate. I just wanted to see what it looked like.

jep111
11 December 2007, 03:27 PM
I have an iPaq 4700 and use Northern Hills software's Pocket Genealogist. PG uses the same screen metaphor as Reunion so the navigation is terrific. Of course, this requires gedcoming your Reunion file to a PC to be transferred to the iPaq (a Windows Mobile device). While PG is editable and synchronizable with PC genealogy programs, to get the data back to the Mac would require another gedcom transfer or printing reports of recently changed data and re-entering that into your master Reunion program. To shortcut the having a PC, I used PocketMac and Virtual PC for awhile; now you could use Parallels if you had an Intel Mac.

End result was a great way to have my entire genealogy database in my pocket at all times, but a lousy way to do research. The only thing I use my iPaq for now is keeping all my passwords, and as soon as a decent manager becomes available for the iPhone, goodbye iPaq. I think the web cards/iPhone combo will end up being the next solution, but I need to figure out how to store the web cards on the iPhone as I'm not always near EDGE service.

But if you want to try it, IMO Kevin and Northern Hills Software are the LeisterPro of the PocketPC world.

And maybe, after the SDK is shown at MacWorld, Leister will develop a little "something-something" for the iPhone. Pretty please?

Cheers!

John

STEVE
12 December 2007, 11:29 AM
...Look at these two softwares: GedWise at http://www.batteryparksoftware.com/index.html AND MyRoots at http://www.tapperware.com/MyRoots/index.html

...I prefer GedWise

I still have and use both on my old m515 Palm device, but have always preferred using My Roots. Support, when and if ever needed, is fantastic.

STEVE

Bob White
12 December 2007, 01:57 PM
........I think the web cards/iPhone combo will end up being the next solution, but I need to figure out how to store the web cards on the iPhone as I'm not always near EDGE service..........
Actually, this hasn't been an issue for two reasons. First is that most of the places where I access my file from have wireless access including friends and relatives homes, the local library, etc. Second is that I generally avoid using Edge for Internet unless I'm desperate; it's roughly twice as fast an old 56K dial-up but nowadays that seems like watching ice melt on a cold day. :)

It would be ideal someday to be able to store a set of web cards directly on the iPhone but that would be for the wish list section of ReunionTalk.

jep111
12 December 2007, 03:16 PM
Actually, this hasn't been an issue for two reasons. First is that most of the places where I access my file from have wireless access including friends and relatives homes, the local library, etc. Second is that I generally avoid using Edge for Internet unless I'm desperate; it's roughly twice as fast an old 56K dial-up but nowadays that seems like watching ice melt on a cold day. :)

It would be ideal someday to be able to store a set of web cards directly on the iPhone but that would be for the wish list section of ReunionTalk.
Bob,

Please see http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=3230

Cheers!

John

Bob White
12 December 2007, 07:11 PM
Bob,

Please see http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=3230

Cheers!

John
Which I was part of.... Of course, one can do PDF's and attach to emails and have information in the iPhone by that method. It might be workable if one only has 30 or 40 family cards but its lack of real navigation kills the idea for anything larger. Nope, I'm happy with my method for now.