PDA

View Full Version : Worldvitalrecords.com

Bob Goode
03 December 2007, 11:08 PM
Does anyone subscribe to Worldvitalrecords.com?

If so, would you please post your views as to the value of the subscription.

Thanks,

Bob

linders
04 December 2007, 01:32 PM
I have just subscribed and find it somewhat useful. The most important part for me was the Prisoners of War during WWII. I found my brother and cousin. There are lots of newspapers with tidbits about my relatives so that is useful too. Hope this helps

Bob White
04 December 2007, 04:28 PM
I'm finding all kinds of goodies in the small town newspapers. An example is my paternal grandfather being called up for jury duty in 1926 and a great aunt appearing among the list of graduates from a local grammar school in 1914. At the special rate they have been offering, it's worth it. It's two years for $80 which includes one year of the Genealogical Helper magazine. And, true to their word, they add new databases everyday.

Update: Roots Magic has an offer which expires on 12/9/07 of two years for $40 (no magazine).

Bob Goode
04 December 2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks to both of you for your response. I belong to Ancestry and recently decided to expand to either Footnote.com or Worldvitalrecord.com or both.
I was aware of Footnote but did not know much about Worldvitalrecord.com.

Again, thanks for your input.

Bob

WilliamTaber
04 December 2007, 10:35 PM
I used their free trial pretty extensively about a year ago. The only thing I found of value, which was not already included in my memberships at Ancestry.com and Genealogy.com were the newspaper archives. I was able to find quite a few articles about several of my relatives which contained details I would not have found from other sources I have been searching.

On the other hand, unless you are researching very unique names (as I was) you will find their search engine pretty poor. It is very difficult to restrict your search specifically enough to filter out the chaff.

At least those are my findings.

Does anyone subscribe to Worldvitalrecords.com? If so, would you please post your views as to the value of the subscription.

Donald A. Sage
05 December 2007, 02:08 PM
Does anyone subscribe to Worldvitalrecords.com? If so, would you please post your views as to the value of the subscription.
Bob -- I subscribed to WVR via the Everton Genealogical Helper magazine combo deal. They seem to have volumes of all kinds of on lline data but frankly I find it overwhelming to try and sort it all out. Some information I did gather from their military records ,which proved to be only partially correct ,and which I advised them of and they responded that got their info from the NARA. That source of course is available to all of us at no charge. I thought I might get access to the Federal Census but they onlly show that for the 1880 and so far do not have others on line. I do not intend to renew my subscription to WVR but I do llike the Everton Genealogical Helper. Don Sage

Cormac
15 December 2007, 05:32 PM
Does anyone subscribe to Worldvitalrecords.com?

If so, would you please post your views as to the value of the subscription.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

I was a subscriber to WVR, but I let my membership lapse. I found it to be a real niche research site. I think that you are better off with an subscription to Ancestry.com instead.

Bob Goode
17 December 2007, 08:14 PM
Bob,

I was a subscriber to WVR, but I let my membership lapse. I found it to be a real niche research site. I think that you are better off with an subscription to Ancestry.com instead.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am presently subscribing to Ancestry.com and will consider all suggestions about WVR and wait until after the holiday season to decide. Again thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Bob

Roxanne
21 February 2008, 04:59 PM
I got a subscription a few months back when they were offering 2 years for the price of one. I have searched on it on and off but find that the only thing that is of value to me in their site is the small town newspapers - which actually is free. You can use the Worldvitalrecords site to search the small town newspapers quickly and easily and access them without a subscription. But, before that I was already using small town newspapers through their website at:
http://www.smalltownpapers.com

I will continue to keep trying it to see if anything else on their site helps me but when my subscription expires I might not renew unless if they get something in there that will be helpful to me and my search and that is not free elsewhere or included in one of the other sites I subscribe to. Time will tell as they do keep growing almost every day.

I believe they have subscription that you can access their site on a per month basis but I am not sure if that is for the US collection only or also the world collection.