PDA

View Full Version : Negative Scanning and 8mm Film transfer questions

xejn
12 November 2007, 01:03 PM
I have about 1050 color images on 35 mm film negative I want to scan

Can you recommend a company you have used for archival scanning? I would want 4000 dpi resolution scans (is higher even an option? if so, is it worth it?) and the files to be delivered in TIFF format (not JPG).

I am also looking for a company that can transfer 4 8mm films to digital. Does any have a company they have worked with for this as well?

Thanks,
Michael

Terry Medlar
12 November 2007, 02:38 PM
Try Ritz Camera. They do a lot of transfer type work. I have no real experience, but it is a start.

jep111
12 November 2007, 02:56 PM

Can you recommend a company you have used for archival scanning? I would want 4000 dpi resolution scans (is higher even an option? if so, is it worth it?) and the files to be delivered in TIFF format (not JPG).

I am also looking for a company that can transfer 4 8mm films to digital. Does any have a company they have worked with for this as well?

Thanks,
Michael

For the film, I would use www.moviestuff.tv

daw640
13 November 2007, 11:00 AM
Hi Michael,

The Debenham Media Group, 416 Mill St., Coraopolis, PA 15108 ( http://www.mymovietransfer.com/index.html ) is the place to check for movie transfers.

They can produce the highest possible quality digital transfers, limited only by the amount of information contained on the original film. Output choices include DVD, digital video tape, and uncompressed data saved to an external hard drive. This last stores every pixel from the film.

They did quite a bit of work for me earlier this year and I'm delighted with the result.

The only downside is that when you blow up an 8mm frame to a large TV screen, the focus looks a little "soft".

Dave Williams

Deena
08 December 2007, 05:33 PM
I haven't used them yet but I plan to try scancafe.com
They have been advertizing a lot in the imaging mags.

Thanks,
Michael