PDA

View Full Version : Keeping same name/different people straight

Karen Peters
02 November 2007, 10:39 PM
What do you do if you have people with same name, same location and similar birthdates? One is my line of interest and the other isn't related at all. Especially if the two are confused in some websites?

I've been keeping it straight in my head, but that's NOT a very reliable system!

Kate McCain
05 November 2007, 06:37 PM
What do you do if you have people with same name, same location and similar birthdates? One is my line of interest and the other isn't related at all. Especially if the two are confused in some websites?

I've been keeping it straight in my head, but that's a very reliable system!
I've got at least one of those. I just have a note in the Notes field pointing out that this person does NOT seem to be the Mary Walker (wife of James Montgomery) who lived in Little River Township, NC and reference the URL of the apparently erroneous website that conflates the two.

dm87
06 November 2007, 06:18 PM
I have many many individuals with the same name and similar birth dates. This is how I eliminate confusion. At the end of every given name (in the given name field) I enter the mother's maiden name in brackets.

e.g.

First & Mid Name: John (Jones)
Last Name: Smith

This differentiates almost all the duplicate names, and even helps me identify siblings in the Index window. It is challenging when there are two John (Jones) Smiths born in approximately the same year and place. However, this is a rare event.

FKerstetter
19 March 2008, 07:24 PM

I've been keeping it straight in my head, but that's a very reliable system!
"suggestion- after their name in parenthesis put birth year,or mother's name, or a number that's a code for your info"

Michael Talibard
20 March 2008, 04:39 AM
I have a lady who married twice, both husbands called Jean Vibert, born St Ouen, Jersey at around the same time - and lots of other same-names in my village study. I find it useful to have Person ID numbers at the top of the Family Card.

Dave Wells
20 March 2008, 06:04 PM

Hi Karen - I have created both "Research" and "ToDo" notes in Reunion and have them appear in addition to the Misc notes on the Family Card. I use the Research note field to record dead ends, confusing situations like you mention, and other researchers who have contacted me about this family. I use the ToDo note field to keep ideas for further research that might add details for the person.
Hope this helps,

martha
22 March 2008, 02:50 AM
Hi Karen - I have created both "Research" and "ToDo" notes in Reunion and have them appear in addition to the Misc notes on the Family Card. I use the Research note field to record dead ends, confusing situations like you mention, and other researchers who have contacted me about this family. I use the ToDo note field to keep ideas for further research that might add details for the person.
Hope this helps,

Why don't you use the "Log" for that sort of thing?

Martha

Barnbarroch
24 March 2008, 08:37 AM
You could flag them quite easily. Then it's easy to find all possible sources of confusion at the drop of a hat.
Regards,
Jamie.

Dave Wells
24 March 2008, 10:34 PM
I have created both "Research" and "ToDo" notes in Reunion and have them appear in addition to the Misc notes on the Family Card...

Why don't you use the "Log" for that sort of thing?

I assume you are asking about the "ToDo" notes, since the research info is specific to each person. My reason for not using Logs, which could be done, is that they would not show up on the Family Card, and be associated with individuals. By using Notes, I can also use the Find command to look for ToDo notes which have census, write, or other key words when I wish to create a list of research work of a particular type. Just personal preference based on how my process evolved.

Karen Peters
25 March 2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I've started putting the information into Notes.

Cheers!