PDA

View Full Version : Descendant Chart

DelbertCurlin
18 May 2005, 02:16 PM
Today is one of those days for me. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a descendant chart starting with my Mother and Father to show their children as sons and daughters. They come up as brothers and sisters and with their children as nieces and nephews. I start with the family card of my Mother and Father showing. I'm sure there is a flag somewhere but I don't know where to find it. Anyone?????

Delbert Curlin
dlvcsr@mac.com
Researching Curlin,Buckner,McClish,Brigman,White and Brown

David G. Kanter
18 May 2005, 02:51 PM
I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a descendant chart starting with my Mother and Father to show their children as sons and daughters. They come up as brothers and sisters and with their children as nieces and nephewsYou just need to ask Reunion to recalculate all the relationships in the Family File. While on your parents' Family Card, use Find->Relatives and, in the instant case where you're just going to do their descendants, it won't matter whether you select in the Relatives dialogue box your mother or your father to be the new "Source Person".

Whichever you choose, however, will have "Source" as their relationship in the chart. (The other will have nothing as being a spouse isn't a blood relationship.) FWIW, I usually edit out that word "Source" from the resulting chart and add, instead, a caption--which I put up near the Title--saying some like "with relationships based on <enter name(s)>". I find that helps those who view the chart to immediately understand about the cited relationships.

Kelli
23 May 2005, 10:13 AM
I'm having the same problem, but I want to have the information appear in a tree format. I followed your suggestions and came up with report that listed the children, but I want it to be like a tree.

For example: I want to have my husband and I each listed with little lines connecting us and then have our children listed underneath of our names. The Relative Chart has the format that I want, but I don't want to have it go up a generation. Just had a thought...perhaps I should generate the chart by starting with one of the children of the couple instead of trying to start it with the couple themselves....I'll try that, but in the meanwhile, do any of you know how to make the type of chart I described?

Kelli

Kelli
23 May 2005, 10:39 AM
Okay, my workabout works great. I click on the name of one of my children and then choose "Relative Chart" along with 'hourglass with siblings.'

My question now is: How do I edit the information that is in each box? I just want to have our names and birth/death dates. I'm getting our birth locations and it's making each box so long that it is spreading onto two pages.

Kelli

ttl
23 May 2005, 03:11 PM
Kelli -

You can edit each individual box in the chart editor, but it looks as if you'd be better served by changing the layout in the chart creation process.

When you first create the relative chart and are presented with the chart setting window, select "Define Layouts" from the layouts popup menu. In the layouts window, hightlight the hourglass with siblings layout on the left, and click the duplicate layout button. Rename the new layout "hourglass with siblings, dates only."

Highlight the person fields and spouse fields in turn in the center column, and uncheck the birth and death checkboxes in the right column.

Highlight Name Setup in the center column, and then click the radio buttons on the right that give you the date layout you want.

Click the Save button, select the new layout, then click the Chart button.

You should get what you want.

As an alternative, you can keep the birth and death events checked, highlight Event Format in the center column, and check the Put Places on Separate Line box. This will give you the placenenames, but without stretching the box out as far.

Kelli
23 May 2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks - your suggestion did the trick of getting the dates as I wanted while removing the place of birth.

A final question on this subject - I hope... I want my chart to only have the mother, father and children. Is there any way to remove the spouses of the children? I can do it manually by clicking on the box in the chart and deleting the name, but I was wondering if there was a way to do this through the chart setting window, or by any other method. Is there anything like "click to not include spouse."

Thanks,

Kelli

ttl
23 May 2005, 06:21 PM
In your family file, you can use the Mark Groups command to mark the people you want to include in the chart. Choose the unmark everybody first option, and make sure the mark spouses box is unchecked. If there's anybody that doesn't fit into a grouping easily, you can mark them individually after the group is done.

Then when you create the chart, you can check the Prune-Marked Relatives only checkbox in the chart settings dialog.