PDA

View Full Version : Location of source citations in notes field

Larry Foster
17 May 2005, 07:32 PM
A few months ago I transferred my Reunion 8 family file from my Model A iMac to my G4 iBook using a GEDCOM. It worked fine except that my source citations in the notes field are all lined up at the end of all the entries rather than appearing after each entry. I hope there is a box I can check or uncheck to correct this - I have looked and have not found it. Thank you, Larry Foster
Solvang, CA

David G. Kanter
17 May 2005, 08:30 PM
A few months ago I transferred my Reunion 8 family file from my Model A iMac to my G4 iBook using a GEDCOM. It worked fine except that my source citations in the notes field are all lined up at the end of all the entries rather than appearing after each entry. I hope there is a box I can check or uncheck to correct this - I have looked and have not found it.Sorry to report, there isn't. A GEDCOM export->import doesn't provide 100% fidelity beyond the basic information--and definitely can't preserve citation positions within note fields. (Search the Manual for "gedcom" and item #2 will give you some background on the GEDCOM limitations. While it doesn't explicitly cite your problem, you'll get an idea of the disadvantage of using a GEDCOM--especially in Reunion-to-Reunion situations.)

While I recognize it would require trying to figure out what changes you've made to your Family File since importing that GEDCOM, I'd suggest the best "solution" is for you to simply move your Family File (in its native Reunion format) from your old Mac to your new Mac--and then re-enter those changes. That will insure 100% fidelity of all your work prior to the move.

You can use networking, a removable or external medium (hard drive, CD, etc.), or e-mailing to yourself to effect the move. If the size of your Family File is an impediment to whatever means you do have for the move, you can compress the Family File (Stuff or Zip it) and expand it once it's on your new Mac.

theKiwi
17 May 2005, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately the GEDCOM standard doesn't allow for the sources to remain scattered through the note as Reunion allows :-(

So there's no box to check to fix this.

However I'd offer this suggestion in the form of a question..

Why did you choose to transfer the file by GEDCOM, rather than simply transferring the Reunion data file from one Mac to the other?

How much data have you changed since you made this move?

If it's not much, and you have access to the olde Mac still and the data on it, you might want to consider whether it's less work to:

a: start over and copy the Reunion file from one machine to the other - this will keep the sources in the notes correctly, but lose you all the changes made since the initial move. (You can find those records you've changed in the new file by doing a Find Anything for Modified Date after "the date you moved", and then update those records in the olde file);

or

b: go through your existing notes and put the sources back where they should be.

I'm in the process of "working around" this by doing the following:

In notes fields where I have sources, I now put [Source xx] immediately before the Reunion source of the same number xx, so that when it goes via GEDCOM to my online TNG presentation and the Sources get dumped to the end, it is at least possible to figure out which source goes with which part of the notes field. See for example:

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/getperson.php?personID=I16&tree=Roger

Cheers

Roger

Larry Foster
30 May 2005, 06:31 PM
Reunion Talk and those participating are truly great! Within a couple hours of my recent post, David Kanter contacted me by phone from Boston and followed it with a post. Roger, theKiwi, added a post. Both gave excellent suggestions and did so in kind ways that did not make me feel lower than low-tech. There are MUG (Mac User Groups) meeting 30 miles in different directions. I need a MUG-RUG (Reunion User Group) that meets at my house in Santa Barbara County, California, USA. Any takers - you must provide your own transportation.

Larry Foster SBMUGRUG Coordinator