PDA

View Full Version : Tiger and Other Software

Lil
11 May 2005, 11:31 PM
Reunion 8.06 is peforming okay with Tiger on my iMac G5 17. I had problems with Virex and several Norton applications but none with Reunion. Overall Tiger is a major improvement over Panther and is well worth any minor compatibility problems.So far, Tiger is working well with Reunion on my iMac G4. However, Virex is not supported on Tiger. I have been told by McAfee, the developer of Virex, that they are not planning to support Macintosh OS at the 10.4 version. Rumors have it that Norton isn't yet covering viruses for Tiger, but I haven't contacted them yet. However, the newly updated verson of Safari in Tiger claims to catch just about all virus threats, and as you know, up to now Macs not have been the focus of virus developers. So I guess we just sit and wait until someone steps up.

Lil

Steve W. Jackson
12 May 2005, 06:48 PM
Or so the poem goes. Have you installed Tiger? I just want you to know that Reunion works beautifully with the new system.

I had a little trouble with some older applications that wanted Classic. If you have any of those you must install your OS9 discs first, then Tiger. I think you must install OS09 on a separate partition. I have Tiger on each of two partitions so I couldn't install OS9 programs.

I was in Salt Lake City last week with our local Genealogy Society, got some new info. to put into Reunion this week. Had a great time.

Janet Mobley
http://homepage.mac.com/janmobley/home.htmlThis continues to be a misconception (that OS 9 must be installed on a separate partition or is somehow otherwise different under Tiger than before). It works fine on the same partition, just as it always has. The hiccup has always been how you install it on newer systems that can't boot the OS 9 install CD, and Apple has addressed that in its Knowledge Base.

= Steve =

Ray Bowler
12 May 2005, 07:32 PM
So far, Tiger is working well with Reunion on my iMac G4. However, Virex is not supported on Tiger. I have been told by McAfee, the developer of Virex, that they are not planning to support Macintosh OS at the 10.4 version. Rumors have it that Norton isn't yet covering viruses for Tiger, but I haven't contacted them yet. However, the newly updated verson of Safari in Tiger claims to catch just about all virus threats, and as you know, up to now Macs not have been the focus of virus developers. So I guess we just sit and wait until someone steps up.I would avoid Norton--too many peopld have problems when it is installed.

I would recommend VirusBarrier <http://www.intego.com/> if you want virus protection. Cost is $69(I believe).

I will not list all others available but there are several.

Steve W. Jackson
13 May 2005, 06:15 PM
So far, Tiger is working well with Reunion on my iMac G4. However, Virex is not supported on Tiger. I have been told by McAfee, the developer of Virex, that they are not planning to support Macintosh OS at the 10.4 version. Rumors have it that Norton isn't yet covering viruses for Tiger, but I haven't contacted them yet. However, the newly updated verson of Safari in Tiger claims to catch just about all virus threats, and as you know, up to now Macs not have been the focus of virus developers. So I guess we just sit and wait until someone steps up.

LilRecent actions by Symantec make it clear to me that Norton products aren't a good bet for Mac users any longer, and Virex is indeed said to be incompatible with Tiger. I have yet to see any reports of Safari catching virus threats from any source, so I'm interested in where you saw this claim.

In general, there's no real reason to be overly concerned about a virus on a Mac anyway. The continuing myth that it's because "virus developers" aren't focusing on the Mac is just plain false. It's because the Mac is a more secure environment. There has never been a virus on any Unix variant, to my knowledge. Understand that there's a difference between a virus, a Trojan Horse, and a worm, and there have been occurrences of the latter two on Unix systems, but following simple guidelines like not using root accounts, not opening unidentified attachments, and other things make it highly unlikely you'll encounter one.

= Steve =

Janet Mobley
15 May 2005, 11:00 PM
Reunion has been working just fine with Tiger BUT, now I have a BIG problem. I can't update my web site. It will open the main page but not the others. I have clicked on the pages within the program on the iDisk and they open but won't on the Internet.

I thought it might be a Tiger conflict so I tried uploading the seb site on my PowerBook which still is running Panther with the same results...or rather non-results.

At this point, I don't know if it is a Tiger problem or a web problem.

Janet Mobley
in Petaluma CA

Betty Miessner
16 May 2005, 07:04 PM
...but following simple guidelines like not using root accounts, not opening unidentified attachments, and other things make it highly unlikely you'll encounter one.Excellent suggestions Steve, but what, pray tell, is a root account?
Betty M

Tom Robinson
16 May 2005, 08:33 PM
I would avoid Norton--too many peopld have problems when it is installed.

I would recommend VirusBarrier <http://www.intego.com/> if you want virus protection. Cost is $69(I believe).

I will not list all others available but there are several.I've recently started trialling clamXav. It's an open-source front-end to an open-source virus checker, clamav. i.e. free but donations appreciated.

Installation is straightforward and the virus database is regularly updated. The interface isn't as polished as some Mac apps, but is quite functional. You have to trigger a scan manually, which I personally think is better than an automated checker, as there's no low-level hooks into the operating system.

http://www.markallan.co.uk/clamXav/index.php

Dave Wells
17 May 2005, 12:19 AM
Reunion has been working just fine with Tiger BUT, now I have a BIG problem. I can't update my web site. It will open the main page but not the others. I have clicked on the pages within the program on the iDisk and they open but won't on the Internet.

I thought it might be a Tiger conflict so I tried uploading the seb site on my PowerBook which still is running Panther with the same results...or rather non-results.

At this point, I don't know if it is a Tiger problem or a web problem.Janet,
I don't know if this is relevant, but the Transmit utility for uploading files just released version 3.2 which works just great with your iDisk in addition to working even better as an FTP file transfer tool. I can now use it for uploading both my Rootsweb and iDisk web sites.
(This is with Tiger and Reunion 8.06)

Al Cooper
17 May 2005, 03:54 PM
So far, Tiger is working well with Reunion on my iMac G4. However, Virex is not supported on Tiger. I have been told by McAfee, the developer of Virex, that they are not planning to support Macintosh OS at the 10.4 version. Rumors have it that Norton isn't yet covering viruses for Tiger, but I haven't contacted them yet. However, the newly updated verson of Safari in Tiger claims to catch just about all virus threats, and as you know, up to now Macs not have been the focus of virus developers. So I guess we just sit and wait until someone steps up.

Lil

Norton AntiVirus 10.0 for Macintosh is now available for Tiger. I just downloaded and installed a copy. I also updated Tiger yesterday to Mac OS X 10.4.1. The new Norton application costs $69.95 but a rebate coupon for $30 is also available for owners of earlier versions. The new version installs a widget in Dashboard that shows the current viruses. As you probably know most of the viruses only affect PC users but it is good not to pass them on to your PC friends.

David G. Kanter
17 May 2005, 06:42 PM
To follow-up (under a more applicable title) the last posting in this forum's thread entitled "Re: MacOSX 10.4 Tiger Testing?"

Norton AntiVirus 10.0 for Macintosh is now available for Tiger. . . The new Norton application costs $69.95 but a rebate coupon for $30 is also available for owners of earlier versions.Note: This is not to be taken as an endorsement of that Symantec product; nor is it intended to start a debate over whether you, as a Mac user, should or should not have an anti-virus program; nor should ReunionTalk become a place to "push" anyone else's program.

As I dislike having to wait some 6-8 weeks for the company to get around to giving me the rebate to which they acknowledge I'm entitled, I thought I make one (hopefully last, but useful) point on the subject.

In the instant case, you can avoid the rebate-coupon procedure:

a. For those of you who have access to the toll-free USA numbers: Call 1-888-810-9896, choose option 3, and then wait to be transferred to a sales representative. S/he will take an order at the reduced cost.

b. For those who wish to order on-line, you can reach the Symantec Upgrade Center's order page for at http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat1/ec_main.entry25?page=UpgradeCenter072104&client=Symantec&sid=27674 and should be able to place an order at the reduced cost.

Steve W. Jackson
19 May 2005, 04:11 PM
Excellent suggestions Steve, but what, pray tell, is a root account?
Betty MThe fact that you don't know means it's not likely that you've enabled it. :)

In the Unix world, which is now at the heart of Mac OS X, an account named "root" is also known as the super user. That user has all privileges possible, even more than your OS X admin account. Your admin account can get all the same privileges, though usually in a safer fashion, by simply authenticating when needed. That's what happens when some installers ask for your admin password. You indicate your permission for it to temporarily assume those high level privileges. That authorization times out after a set period and prevents any malicious program from doing things you don't want.

= Steve =

Blaise A. Darveaux
20 May 2005, 08:21 PM
Speaking of the root user, is it normal for there to be about 29 things listed in the Activitiy Monitor that is being used by "root" even though the root user is not logged in? I can turn the computer on, log in as myself (one of two administrators) and immediately open the Activity Monitor and find that "root" is using a lot of processes, some which are using a significant amount of processor. I ask again, is this normal? I am running Panther 10.3.8.

--Blaise A. Darveaux

theKiwi
20 May 2005, 10:53 PM
Yes, this is normal.

The root user owns many of the processes that make the computer work. There are 33 processes running as root on my G4 right now - things like the web server (httpd), lookupd which deals with internet domain lookups, cupsd which is printing etc etc

But you as Adminstrator can't alter any of those processes without using your Administrator password, or logging in as the root user.

Roger

Blaise A. Darveaux
23 May 2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks for your response, Roger. The reason I asked is that on my newer PowerMac G5, where the root user has never been evoked (logged in), there is not a single process being used by root. I suppose once you use it, you are pretty much stuck with it. It just seems weird that if root is not logged in that it still requires all these processes to be active.
--Blaise A. Darveaux

theKiwi
23 May 2005, 08:28 PM
The reason I asked is that on my newer PowerMac G5, where the root user has never been evoked (logged in), there is not a single process being used by root. I suppose once you use it, you are pretty much stuck with it. It just seems weird that if root is not logged in that it still requires all these processes to be active.Are you sure that when you open the Activity Monitor on the G5, that it's set to show "All Processes" - there is a pop up menu at the top of the window that gives you choices about what to see - if it's not set to show All Processes (or Administrator Processes which shows only the root processes), then you won't see the processes owned by root - the computer would not function without these, and whether they are visible or running is nothing to do with whether the root users has ever been enabled or invoked.

Roger

Blaise A. Darveaux
24 May 2005, 09:29 AM
Yes, you are correct. I knew about that setting, but forgot about it. The root processes are there just as you say. Thank you for clearing that up. It makes me feel better about the health of my computers.
--Blaise A. Darveaux