PDA

View Full Version : Citing tombstone data

Karen Hewett
14 October 2007, 05:08 PM
I am trying to figure out the best way of recording data I have personally gathered from family gravestones. Should I create a source called "Tombstone" for this purpose? If not, what should I use? Should I call the source something that reflects that I have personally been to the grave and gathered the data myself? If so, what could I call it?

Also, how do I cite data I have gathered because I was personally at the event - rather than having a document for it (for example: my aunt's funeral, or niece's birth)? How have others handled these kinds of sources? Any suggestions and input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

K. Hewett

Karen Peters
14 October 2007, 09:03 PM
An example following the rules from Evidence! by Elizabeth Shown Mills (a book I highly recommend):

John Smith tombstone, section 11, Smith Cemetery, Ashland (Boyd County), Kentucky; transcribed by the writer, on 14 Oct 2007.

I would tailor the information about the location of the cemetery and tombstone to however much detail is needed for someone else to find it. So, a large urban cemetery would only need a name, but a rural cemetery might need directions or even latitude and longitude from a GPS unit if you needed to bushwack to find it. For the tombstone, you might just need to identify a section if there are few graves there, but if there were many you might need to identify row numbers.

I can't find anything in Evidence! about events you attend. I put it under Witness and include the date and my relation to the people involved. So, an example would be "Karen Peters, Witness, 13 Nov 2003, Aunt of deceased." I'm also interested in how other people would handle it.

Troy
15 October 2007, 08:06 AM
Hi---

Just to add in my 2-cents. If you had a picture of the tombstone, it could be added to the source as well which would help in the identification for anyone searching the cemetery for it; as well as add a more personal touch for the source (in my opinion).

On the other hand, doing it this way would mean having to have a source for each tombstone.

Anyway, just a thought for consideration.

Troy---

Steve W. Jackson
19 October 2007, 05:48 PM
For what it's worth, there's already a "Cemetery Marker" source type defined in Reunion, and I've been using it for a long time.

Personally, I never cared to make a distinction when using this as to whether I went in person or not if I had reliable information as to the contents of the marker. For instance, if someone provided a photo, or if I took it myself, I don't make any distinction.

For other things, depending on just what it really is, I've seen some people use "Personal Recollection" or other ways of citing what they knew, saw, heard, etc. I've often used the "Free Form" source in Reunion and cited things that I was told during a conversation, or remembered hearing as a child if it pertains to relatives, etc. But I later modified the format somewhat so that it specifically includes my name when I do this, in case somebody else should ever inherit and continue my work.

= Steve =

STEVE
23 October 2007, 02:36 AM
...For other things, depending on just what it really is, I've seen some people use "Personal Recollection" or other ways of citing what they knew, saw, heard, etc. I've often used the "Free Form" source in Reunion and cited things that I was told during a conversation, or remembered hearing as a child if it pertains to relatives, etc. But I later modified the format somewhat so that it specifically includes my name when I do this, in case somebody else should ever inherit and continue my work.

= Steve =

I have a source "Personal recollection of Steven Byars." I have another, "Personal Recollection of Clovis Byars" for a cousin I share research with. If I'm referring to a specific interview, I'll create a source something like "Interview with Maude Davis, 20070912" I use that dating convention because it's possible to have more than one interview with any given person and I like having them sort sequentially. The dating system is defined in my "Readme" file.

STEVE

Nancy G Chesnutt
23 October 2007, 06:40 PM
I have a separate photo album with all the pictures of tombstones I have taken (most before the day of having a digital camera) and I refer to that album with a source number. I now believe I need to go back and give more information as to where each tombstone is located after reading all of the above!

Troy
24 October 2007, 08:30 AM
Nancy---

A separate photo album is a great idea for your tombstone photos.

My tombstone photos are all over the place and a separate album would definitely help.

Another 2-cents for what it's worth; If you have a photo of the Cemetery Entrance to put with the tombstones in that Cemetery it would be nice to include it.

That would / could (in my humble opinion) provide more information to help someone find it as well as add another personal touch and completeness to the data, especially if the cemeteries / tombstones are in very rural / unkept cemetery settings like a lot of mine are.

Thanks for sharing your idea Nancy.

Troy---

scatchardfamily
21 August 2008, 12:43 PM
I don't seem to have Cemetery in my sources list. Did you add this in or is it supposed to be there already?

Karen Peters
21 August 2008, 04:56 PM
I don't seem to have Cemetery in my sources list. Did you add this in or is it supposed to be there already?

Add it in. Go to Preferences>Sources. Click on "Types" at the top, then click on "Add Type" below. You can choose the fields you want to use on the right. If you want to use a field that isn't already there, click on "Fields" at the top, add the field, and it will be available for your source type.

Good Luck,

scatchardfamily
21 August 2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks!

scatchardfamily
21 August 2008, 06:35 PM
But actually, was it supposed to be there already? Some members are talking of it here as if it were pre-existent...