PDA

View Full Version : Slot won't accept CD

bonniegaia
13 October 2007, 03:09 PM
Attempting to reinstall iWork 08, suddenly the slot on my PowerBook G4 will not accept the install disk.

It is as if the disk 'hits something' on the right hand side of the slot;
the disk won't even go in as far as the center hole.

No forgotten CD shows up on my Desktop, or when I open the hard drive.

~Bonnie, grateful for any help

Aluminum PowerBook G4, 1.67 GHz

ByronSpoon
13 October 2007, 03:58 PM
Try inserting a different CD and see if it will mount. Also try shutting down your computer and then rebooting again.

bonniegaia
13 October 2007, 04:21 PM
No CDs are accepted.

The 'suck-in-the-disk' mechanism isn't ever activated as the disks apparently don't go in far enough.

I already tried re-booting.
I also turned computer off, took out battery, disconnected from AC and held Power Button down for over 5 seconds. Put battery back in and started up the computer again --- all to no avail.

Does this mean my CD mechanism is broken?

Worried now.

Bonnie

ByronSpoon
13 October 2007, 04:44 PM
It doesn't sound very promising then. But external portable USB CD drives are pretty inexpensive if you have to go that route. Sorry I don't have further suggestions...looks like you've tried the obvious things.

Terry Medlar
13 October 2007, 04:54 PM
It might not cost that much to have it fixed. Do you have an Apple retail store near you? Make an appointment at the Genius Bar. They are very helpful. As far a iWork is concerned, just download a new copy and enter your license key.

bonniegaia
13 October 2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone.

Bummer. However, I am not far from the Emeryville Apple store and will make an appointment. I believe I am still under AppleCare.... phew!

Bonnie

SGilbert
13 October 2007, 07:18 PM
Sure sounds like a CD is stuck in it.

Try restarting while holding the eject button down; also the "click" button under the track pad while restarting.

Generally, restarts do not eject CD's.

Frank Mitchell
14 October 2007, 05:41 AM
Attempting to reinstall iWork 08, suddenly the slot on my PowerBook G4 will not accept the install disk.
I'm sure you've already checked this as it should appear on the desktop, but there isn't a CD inadvertently left in the slot is there?

joeswann
15 October 2007, 10:09 AM
On a PowerPC machine you can reboot holding down Apple-Option-O-F. This boots the computer up in Open Firmware. From there you can type in the command 'eject cd' to make the drive spit up any disc it may have in it. (This does not work for smaller objects, like paper clips, that younger members of your family tree may chose to feed the optical drive.)

When you are done here you can type 'mac-boot' to continue booting up in the Mac OS or 'shut-down' to turn the unit off. A subsequent boot up does not stop at Open Firmware unless you hold those keys down again.

Karen Peters
15 October 2007, 12:00 PM
If you're still covered under AppleCare, having them fix it is the best way to go.

Just to let you know, it might be a software problem. My old iMac G3 was very inconsistent about accepting CDs with 10.2. Sometimes they would mount, sometimes not, sometimes they would eject, other times not. I thought for sure the CD drive was failing. I upgraded to 10.4 and never had another problem.

Good Luck!

romad
14 June 2008, 02:10 PM
No CDs are accepted.

The 'suck-in-the-disk' mechanism isn't ever activated as the disks apparently don't go in far enough.

I already tried re-booting.
I also turned computer off, took out battery, disconnected from AC and held Power Button down for over 5 seconds. Put battery back in and started up the computer again --- all to no avail.

Does this mean my CD mechanism is broken?

Worried now.

Bonnie

Did you hold down the mouse/trackpad button during startup? This ejects any removable item, optical disk or floppy disk (if you have a drive)