PDA

View Full Version : Reunion 8.06 and Tiger

Beverley Davis
17 May 2005, 03:11 AM
I've just made a huge leap into OS10.4 (Tiger) on a new G4 eMac! Have transferred my Reunion files by firewire cable from a G3 iMac running OS9.2.2 and Reunion 8.04.

When I downloaded the 8.06 updater for OSX and tried to open it, I was told that my Reunion file "needed another updater". Does that mean I should first download and apply the 8.05 updater?

David G. Kanter
17 May 2005, 06:00 AM
. . .Have transferred my Reunion files. . .from a G3 iMac running OS9.2.2 and Reunion 8.04.

When I downloaded the 8.06 updater for OSX and tried to open it, I was told that my Reunion file "needed another updater". Does that mean I should first download and apply the 8.05 updater? Yes.

Lil
18 May 2005, 06:06 PM
I've just made a huge leap into OS10.4 (Tiger) on a new G4 eMac! Have transferred my Reunion files by firewire cable from a G3 iMac running OS9.2.2 and Reunion 8.04.In response to Steve W. Jackson's query as to the source of my recent comment about Tiger's Safari protecting downloads from viruses, I am sending along the web site where I read the information:

http://docs.info.apple,com/article.html?artnum=301191

Lil

Mary Arthur
19 May 2005, 03:23 AM
In response to Steve W. Jackson's query as to the source of my recent comment about Tiger's Safari protecting downloads from viruses, I am sending along the web site where I read the information:

http://docs.info.apple,com/article.html?artnum=301191

LilCopy and paste of URL's is best. Correct address is:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301191

Steve W. Jackson
19 May 2005, 03:51 PM
In response to Steve W. Jackson's query as to the source of my recent comment about Tiger's Safari protecting downloads from viruses, I am sending along the web site where I read the information:

http://docs.info.apple,com/article.html?artnum=301191I don't remember, since I haven't been back in a few days, whether your earlier reference was to Safari or just to Tiger claiming virus protection. But the article referenced (once I fixed the comma-vs-dot error in the URL) explained what you meant.

This is new to Safari and is a nice feature to have for those wanting some additional peace of mind. It's the same practice I've followed on my own for ages, which is not letting the browser open files I download. Nevertheless, the reality is still that virus threats on a Mac are still rare. Adding this new feature of Safari to your arsenal of common sense practices means that you'll likely never have any problem if and when significant threats really do occur.

= Steve =

Bob White
21 May 2005, 03:10 AM
If, in recent days, one has followed any of the information on downloading Widgets, there is the possibility of security leaks. Several Mac pubs have recommended turning off automatic opening.

Mary Arthur
21 May 2005, 02:48 PM
If, in recent days, one has followed any of the information on downloading Widgets, there is the possibility of security leaks. Several Mac pubs have recommended turning off automatic opening.From what I have read it is unlikely, especially if you don't attempt to download a widget from an email or other unsafe place, but use Apple or Version Tracker.

Safe downloading is not in Security but, Quoting Help:

"If you select the option to open "safe" files when they download (in the General pane of Safari preferences), the file will open, if it's safe. Safe files include documents such as pictures, movies, and sounds, PDF and text documents, and disk images and other archives."

Bob White
23 May 2005, 03:53 AM
Correct. It is not in Security. It is in the General tab. One checks or unchecks the statement "Open "safe" files after downloading" as to whichever way one prefers to operate.

Actually, this is important if one is using Tiger. Under Tiger, Safari will automatically install widgets unless one has the Open Safe Files statement turned off. Each person to their own but I don't want anything installed automatically irregardless of whether it is "safe" or not.

David G. Kanter
23 May 2005, 03:35 PM
While this matter is woefully "off topic" for this thread, I'm making this post here to provide updated information, but I'm hoping that the good folks at Leister Productions will either move all the Safari-related posts to a new thread outside of this "Using Reunion 8" forum--if not close this thread, prune out the non-Reunion 8-related posts, and suggest us all to please use non-ReunionTalk bulletin boards, etc., for matters that have nothing to do with Reunion.

. . .Under Tiger, Safari will automatically install widgets unless one has the Open Safe Files statement turned off. . . .The upgrade to OS 10.4.1 (released 16 May 2005) included an upgrade to Safari so that is no longer true. Even if Open Safe Files is enabled, you'll get a warning that you're downloading an application.

P.S. I do agree with Bob that I want to control what's installed; therefore, I, too, keep Open Safe Files disabled even though Safari would now give a warning.