PDA

View Full Version : iDisk image

martha
02 October 2007, 11:50 AM
I know this is not exactly on topic, but I hope someone can help me. I automatically got 60 days of iMac backup to iDisk when I bought my new laptop. That period of time has elapsed and nothing is backed up there any longer (I use Mozy and DropBoks in any event). How do I get the iDisk icon off my desktop and into the trash? I have looked on Apple's support pages but cannot find any mention of such treasonous behaviour! Thank you in advance for any help!

Martha

RobertB
02 October 2007, 02:24 PM
Martha,

Go to the Finder's Preferences window, choose the Sidebar pane and uncheck iDisk.

Robert

I know this is not exactly on topic, but I hope someone can help me. I automatically got 60 days of iMac backup to iDisk when I bought my new laptop. That period of time has elapsed and nothing is backed up there any longer (I use Mozy and DropBoks in any event). How do I get the iDisk icon off my desktop and into the trash? I have looked on Apple's support pages but cannot find any mention of such treasonous behaviour! Thank you in advance for any help!

Martha

martha
03 October 2007, 02:57 AM
Martha,

Go to the Finder's Preferences window, choose the Sidebar pane and uncheck iDisk.

Robert

Thanks, Robert, but the iDisk in the sidebar pane is not/ was not checked. Any other ideas???

Martha

RobertB
03 October 2007, 12:18 PM
Martha,

I'm sorry. I should have read through my response before sending it. My solution simply affected the sidebar in your Finder windows and not the desktop.

I think you should simply be able to drag it to the trash to unmount it, as you would a firewire or USB mounted drive. Does that not work? It may take a little time to do so if your .Mac account is no longer active. If not, I will have to give it some more thought.

Robert

EDIT: Have you restarted your mac? It should not appear on the desktop after a restart.

Thanks, Robert, but the iDisk in the sidebar pane is not/ was not checked. Any other ideas???

Martha

theKiwi
03 October 2007, 03:07 PM

Martha

Go to System Preferences ------> .Mac ------> iDisk and uncheck the Stop iDisk Synching.

Then you can remove the icon from the Desktop

Roger <------- way down south in New Zealand at the moment.

martha
04 October 2007, 04:56 AM
Go to System Preferences ------> .Mac ------> iDisk and uncheck the Stop iDisk Synching.

Then you can remove the icon from the Desktop

Roger <------- way down south in New Zealand at the moment.

Oiy, Roger, that caused more problems!! This is what it said:
"Because it is no longer active, the iDisk that belongs to marthalz@mac.com will be copied to the desktop."

Ahhh. I see now. It made a back up copy of the iDisk and removed the icon. I put it in the trash and now I am finally free!! THANK YOU, Roger!!!

Martha