PDA

View Full Version : Reunion Family Files

Chris C.
16 May 2005, 04:20 PM
Is there a file extention that I can use for reunion, i.e. MS Word = .doc, MS Excel = .xls? I remotely manage my mother's G3 and I am responsiable for updating her website. The problem is when I try to SFTP or create a ".zip" file from the commandline the resource fork gets destroyed and Reunion 8 on my end is no longer able to read the file. A file extention would fix this problem.

-Chris

ttl
16 May 2005, 04:40 PM
OS X 10.3's (and I assume 10.4's) File-->Create Archive menu command will create a zip file that will preserve the file metadata. StuffIt's latest versions will also create a zip file that will preserve the file metadata. And of course, the .sit format is Mac file friendly.

It's not a preferred mode, but there also are File Typer utilities available that will restore Type and Creator codes after they've been lost. Many times this is all that's needed to make the file readable.

Hope this helps in lieu of file extensions.

Chris C.
16 May 2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks Tim. I was hoping not to have to go down the road of file type/creator codes.

-Chris

Tom Robinson
18 May 2005, 12:47 AM
The problem is when I try to SFTP or create a ".zip" file from the commandline the resource fork gets destroyed and Reunion 8 on my end is no longer able to read the file. A file extention would fix this problem.A correction here: at least in my large family file, there's nothing in the resource fork.

I think you'll find it's actually losing the type and creator code which is the problem here. They're not part of the resource fork, but instead part of the file 'metadata', along with creation date, etc.

See Tim's reply for the solution. Both the type and creator code should be set to R~D8.

If you have the Developer tools installed and are comfortable at the command line (it appears you are), you can use SetFile to restore them.

Michael
18 May 2005, 11:02 AM
Both the type and creator code should be set to R~D8.A small correction here...

Although "R~D8" may work for both codes, the Creator should be set to R~U8 while the Type should be set to R~D8. :)