PDA

View Full Version : One Source with Many citings?

Penny Hartzell
16 May 2005, 01:04 PM
I'm new to Reunion having left my pc and Ultimate Family Tree after 15 years.

I am accustomed to entering a source, such as a book of transcribed church records with many baptisms. I pull up that source and enter the page number of the baptism I am entering in, say, 1786. That creates a footnote of that source with that page number. Then a sibling is bapatised, say, in 1788 on a different page. I would like to pull up the same source and enter that page and create another footnote of that same source with the appropriate page number. I see I could create in Reunion8 a source of a book and have page as one of the fields and leave that field blank. I could pull up that source for an event and enter the page and save it. What would happen if I pull that same source up again for another person and change the page number and save that to that second person's event?

Is this possible: To make a template of a source and then use it over and over again adding the appropriate page number each time.

I hope I have made myself clear.
Penny Hartzell

dfilpus
16 May 2005, 01:43 PM
Create one source entry for the book. The page number can go in the Details column of the reference to the source.

Bruce Christopher
17 May 2005, 02:57 AM
Or, if you really want separate sources representing each page, use the Duplicate Source feature. Open the Source List (command-S) and select the source to be used as a template. Then click on the Source Tools menu and select the Duplicate Source command, or use the keyboard shortcut command-D. This will make a copy of the original source, assigning it the lowest unused source number and now you can edit that source to change the page number or anything else.

Penny Hartzell
17 May 2005, 08:56 AM
Create one source entry for the book. The page number can go in the Details column of the reference to the source.Thank you. How will the details print in a Register Report?

Penny

David G. Kanter
17 May 2005, 02:01 PM
How will the details print in a Register Report?The setting you choose in Options->Reports->Sources will determine that. Your choices there in the pop-up menu for Citation Detail are:
(1) With Endnotes [the Detail will be appended to the Source description in the Source list (the "Endnotes") at the end of the report],
(2) With Citations [the Detail will be appended to the Citation number], &
(3) Ignore [Detail won't be in the report].

The setting you choose is "global" in that it will apply to all the reports that give you the option to "Include Sources".

Search for "citation detail" in the Manual. The #2 match addresses your question, but as the other matches will provide you additional information with regard to the use of the Detail field, you may want to browse through them, too.