PDA

View Full Version : Source Documentation

MICHAEL AMOS
12 September 2007, 12:03 AM
I am considering switching over to apple and reunion. Currently I use Legacy on my PC. It appears source documentation is different in Reunion as Legacy has Master Sources and then each event has detail sources. The detail sources allow images, such as, Census images, or JPG images of pages from a book to be attached to the detail source and thus to the event.

Reunion appears only to allow the sources images to part of the [Master] Source Multimedia. Am I understanding this correctly and if so how do you differentiate between detail event sources?

I thank you in advance for your patience in this simply question.

theKiwi
12 September 2007, 12:58 AM
I'm not intimately familiar with Legacy, but I think Reunion can do pretty much what you're looking for, albeit maybe in a slightly different manner.

Each source in Reunion can have an image attached to it, so if you have a source for say the 1851 British Census, you can attach the image of the necessary page to that source and then cite the source to a number of people.

When you want another source for the 1851 British Census, you can duplicate the existing source, change those fields that are different and then attach a different image to it, and then link that source to different people.

On each use of a source there is a Detail field, which allows details specific to that citation to be added, but you can't attach images there.

While this isn't actually in Reunion, it has come from Reunion via GEDCOM file - take a look at this page

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/getperson.php?personID=I16&tree=Roger

and down at the bottom note the sources. Now take a look at this page

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/browsesources.php?sourcesearch=1851

which shows various sources that are all from the 1851 British Census, but each source is different, and linked to different people.

Cheers

Roger

MICHAEL AMOS
12 September 2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks Roger,
I understand and way you are using it is workable. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Amos