PDA

View Full Version : Switch from TMG to Reunion

izapem
28 August 2007, 08:00 PM
Hi All

I have spent one too many Saturdays trying to fix my PC and am considering switching to Mac. One problem, I am a long term "The Master Genealogist" or TMG user. I have about 1500 people in my TMG database and lots of information. I would appreciate corresponding with anyone who has made a TMG to Reunion transistion. Any tips appreciated. First question, how much detail in converting from TMG to Reunion am I likely to lose?

Thanks

Jon

Mary Arthur
29 August 2007, 10:23 PM
Hi All

I would appreciate corresponding with anyone who has made a TMG to Reunion transistion. Any tips appreciated. First question, how much detail in converting from TMG to Reunion am I likely to lose?

Thanks

Jon
Are you aware that you can run TMG (and all windows programs) fairly well on new Macs?
I love Reunion, but TMG does different things, and I think you may want to keep using it.

ttl
29 August 2007, 11:06 PM
If you'd like to export info on 10 or 15 people via gedcom and send me the file (feedback at familygraphics peri0d com), I can import it into a new Reunion family file for you and you can use the demo program to inspect how your data transferred. Mary's right though... TMG handles data in such a unique way, I'm not sure the gedcom format would accommodate everything you've recorded.

theKiwi
29 August 2007, 11:08 PM
But running TMG under Windows on an Intel Mac is back to the same situation - you've got to deal with Windows, and I'm assuming that at least part of izapem's statement about "fixing his PC" refers to dealing with Windows.

Just because you run Windows on a Macintosh, doesn't make Windows any easier to deal with I don't think.

But I have no experiences that are helpful to the underlying question of how any possible pitfalls in moving from TMG to Reunion.

Roger

Mary Arthur
30 August 2007, 07:06 PM
Just because you run Windows on a Macintosh, doesn't make Windows any easier to deal with I don't think.

Roger
This is true, BUT not using Windows connecting to the internet, not using IE or Outlook reduces the hassle by a LARGE amount.

izapem
31 August 2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Ironically TMG is about the only windows based program I like. If I switch to a Mac, i will probably keep TMG and load windows onto the Mac.

Jon

asjas
11 February 2008, 04:42 PM
I have also recently switched to a Mac and was using TMG on my Windows PC. I am currently running TMG under VMware Fusion on the Mac. I would really prefer to get rid of Windows. From your perspective what were the disadvantages of migrating to Reunion, was there a loss of major function? Thanks for your feedback.

Andy

Debra Osborne Spindle
23 January 2010, 04:24 PM
I'm late coming to this discussion. I have a new MacBook Pro and am wondering if I can still run TMG on my Mac. I dread the thought of trying to transfer all 4000+ of my people in TMG to another program--not to mention all the notes and data that wouldn't make the jump.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Debra

Mary Arthur
26 January 2010, 01:26 AM
I have a new MacBook Pro and am wondering if I can still run TMG on my Mac.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Debra

If you own a copy of Windows you can run it on your Mac, and any windows program. Ask your dealer about instructions.

theKiwi
26 January 2010, 07:57 AM
I have a new MacBook Pro and am wondering if I can still run TMG on my Mac. I dread the thought of trying to transfer all 4000+ of my people in TMG to another program--not to mention all the notes and data that wouldn't make the jump.

Yes, you can use either of 2 methods - both of which require you to own a copy of Windows:

1- Boot Camp which is provided free by Apple - this lets you start up your Macintosh as a Windows computer. While using it like this you can't use it as a Macintosh - you need to restart it again to use it as a Macintosh.

2 - use a Virtualisation software - eg VMWare Fusion, or Parallels - these are an application that runs on Mac OS X that then provide a Windows environment you can use while your computer is still running as a Macintosh.

I use VMWare Fusion on my Mac for those times I have to use a Windows software as it is much "easier" than having to restart my Mac each time (apart from my Mac runs as a webserver so I can't be continually restarting it from Mac OS X to Windows).

But you might also want to consider exploring Reunion and see just how different it is from TMG - I would expect most if not all of your data would make the move by GEDCOM file from TMG to Reunion, although I don't use TMG so don't know for sure.

Roger

Tom Robinson
27 January 2010, 01:22 PM
I would give Reunion a good trial, it

JRMcNeill
29 January 2010, 02:16 PM
I used TMG, too, and switched to Reunion 2 years ago. In moving the files, I lost ALL my photos that were linked. Most the other information came in (you can "map it" so it comes along), but the photo base is handled differently in Apple, so I'm STILL (see my recent post) trying to figure out "The Best Way" so I don't go through that again. There's no perfect genealogy program. Along with TMG, I always ran Family Tree Maker, too, for some "things" that I liked better in it.

jetkat
31 August 2010, 08:43 AM
I used TMG, too, and switched to Reunion 2 years ago. In moving the files, I lost ALL my photos that were linked. Most the other information came in (you can "map it" so it comes along), but the photo base is handled differently in Apple, so I'm STILL (see my recent post) trying to figure out "The Best Way" so I don't go through that again. There's no perfect genealogy program. Along with TMG, I always ran Family Tree Maker, too, for some "things" that I liked better in it.

I too recently decided to switch from TMG to Reunion. Coming from Roots III to Ultimate Family Tree, then they closed shop so I converted to TMG. Too many bugs in TMG probably cause its so complex (size wise), including printing reports on a 64bit Windows 7 PC and waiting for a fix or update seems useless. It's a big decision. I had 5300 people and 202 images to gedcom. My homemade flags didn't come over, but easy to make on Reunion! Mapping is VERY important in converting over. Made many dry runs.

Anyway, LOVE the way Reunion works! Good decision to convert! Plenty of features and the "Register" report is so easy! Took forever on TMG to prepare!

Love Reunion!!

Good luck!
Jack

Terry Smith
14 December 2010, 01:31 PM
I made the TMG to Reunion switch. I really loved working in TMG and my experience with it ran from the early 1990's to early this year (under Bootcamp on the Mac)--perhaps four TMG versions over that period. Mine was a small project--perhaps 400 persons, and I've not lost any data in the conversion. Where there wasn't a Reunion counterpart for a particular data element, it was easily identified in the transfer and was not a problem.

Once accustomed to the Reunion model, I have never (really, never) looked back. I should also note that I got lots of help (more handholding, actually) from Leister's tech support folks (including the Boss) and learned to use the app's amazingly robust Help system. Obviously, ReunionTalk is a major asset as well -- well indexed and with experts ready to help with their experiences. I've used the iPod app and, with an iPad on Santa's sleigh this year, I can't wait to try that one.

This post comes long after the OP's question. Since I spent lots of time in ReunionTalk looking for info about a TMG to Reunion move before deciding to make the switch, I'm hoping my experience might help someone in similar circumstances make a very good decision.

Terry

Larry Davies
14 December 2010, 03:06 PM
I made the TMG to Reunion switch. I really loved working in TMG and my experience with it ran from the early 1990's to early this year (under Bootcamp on the Mac)--perhaps four TMG versions over that period. Mine was a small project--perhaps 400 persons, and I've not lost any data in the conversion. Where there wasn't a Reunion counterpart for a particular data element, it was easily identified in the transfer and was not a problem.

Once accustomed to the Reunion model, I have never (really, never) looked back. I should also note that I got lots of help (more handholding, actually) from Leister's tech support folks (including the Boss) and learned to use the app's amazingly robust Help system. Obviously, ReunionTalk is a major asset as well -- well indexed and with experts ready to help with their experiences. I've used the iPod app and, with an iPad on Santa's sleigh this year, I can't wait to try that one.

This post comes long after the OP's question. Since I spent lots of time in ReunionTalk looking for info about a TMG to Reunion move before deciding to make the switch, I'm hoping my experience might help someone in similar circumstances make a very good decision.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I have been considering the switch, but haven't found anything (in Reunion) comparable to the custom flags and accenting capability within TMG. Were you using either of these features in TMG? If so, how did you handle it in the transition?

I also prefer TMG's person centric view rather than Reunion's family centric view, but I guess I will adjust.

Regards,
Larry

mwphelps
14 December 2010, 06:13 PM
Hi Terry,

I have been considering the switch, but haven't found anything (in Reunion) comparable to the custom flags and accenting capability within TMG.

Just curious, but what accenting capabilities can be handled in TMG that can't be addressed using standard Mac-OS characters? I use various accents in the names of my Hispanic ancestors and they work just fine. I assume more numerous European character accents (such as in Scandinavian languages) would be just as easy.

Larry Davies
14 December 2010, 06:26 PM
Just curious, but what accenting capabilities can be handled in TMG that can't be addressed using standard Mac-OS characters? I use various accents in the names of my Hispanic ancestors and they work just fine. I assume more numerous European character accents (such as in Scandinavian languages) would be just as easy.

Hi Mike,

I wasn't referring to character accents. Accenting in TMG refers to color coding individuals based on certain conditions. I use different shades of one color for my ancestors, another color for my wife's ancestors, a third color for my ex-wife's ancestors and a fourth for any that overlap. The different shades indicate direct line, sibling of direct line, cousin or spouse.

Regards,
Larry

Tom Robinson
14 December 2010, 11:49 PM
I have been considering the switch, but haven't found anything (in Reunion) comparable to the custom flags and accenting capability within TMG. Were you using either of these features in TMG? If so, how did you handle it in the transition?

Have you discovered Reunion's custom flags? What functionality are you missing?

Cheers

Larry Davies
15 December 2010, 07:17 AM
Have you discovered Reunion's custom flags? What functionality are you missing?

Cheers

Hi Tom,

Reunion's custom flags are just checked on or off and that would work for about 75% of the one's I use. TMG allowed you to create a set of valid values for each flag. An example would be a flag 'Related to me' with a value of 1 being a direct ancestor, 2 is a sibling of an ancestor, 3 is a cousin, 4 is a spouse and 5 is a parent/child of 4 not directly related to me.

Regards,
Larry

Bob White
16 December 2010, 12:39 AM
While there is no color flagging involved, the List>>Relatives function in Reunion does pretty much what your example is describing. In this case, the specific relationship is shown on the family card (as opposed to the value system that you describe). I'm thinking this does what you are looking for but you would just have to adjust to a different presentation. Just a guess on my part as to whether this is the specific function you want. :)

Larry Davies
16 December 2010, 07:20 AM
While there is no color flagging involved, the List>>Relatives function in Reunion does pretty much what your example is describing. In this case, the specific relationship is shown on the family card (as opposed to the value system that you describe). I'm thinking this does what you are looking for but you would just have to adjust to a different presentation. Just a guess on my part as to whether this is the specific function you want. :)

Hi Bob,

The List>>Relatives function only works for a single person at a time and only shows on the family card. I track the relationships of 3 people simultaneously. The flags (described in earlier post) show on the individual view and show how that person is related to me, to my wife and to my ex-wife (mother of one of my children). The color coding of names (also described previously) shows anywhere the name is shown. If I'm looking at a list of people, I can tell instantly how they are related to any of the 3 individuals I track. If I'm looking at a pedigree and the higher branches change colors, I know I have an overlap.

Regards,
Larry

Tom Robinson
17 December 2010, 10:47 PM
Reunion's custom flags are just checked on or off and that would work for about 75% of the one's I use. TMG allowed you to create a set of valid values for each flag. An example would be a flag 'Related to me' with a value of 1 being a direct ancestor, 2 is a sibling of an ancestor, 3 is a cousin, 4 is a spouse and 5 is a parent/child of 4 not directly related to me.

Right. The closest alternatives would be:

- create a set of five flags, e.g. 1. Direct, 2. Sibling, etc. Or more if you need wife's relationships...

- create a fact field and type in the number/relationship

Both methods could be shown on the family card. The flags method means you can automate setting them based on some find commands.

Galvao
07 December 2012, 08:31 AM
Recently I tried to make this switch. Having a brand new Mac, the occasion seemed perfect to make the jump, since genealogy programs are the only windows programs I use and Reunion has been highly recommended to me as being by far the best genealogy program for Macs.

I am a seasoned and satisfied TMG user with a database of about 10000 individuals, several hundred linked multimedia files, witnesses to all kinds of events, multiple tags, flags, etc. I asked Leisterpro for assistance during the evaluation period and Mark has been very helpful with all my questions, offering the best suited solutions. I had to analyze the the transition process deeply, for I had to be sure that I could manage it in a day or two, and have all the information transferred to the proper places the right way.

However, Reunion and TMG are both excellent pieces of work, but with very different concepts and architecture, that make impossible an easy transition. In my case I was looking to a huge amount of work, so at least for now I am keeping TMG (with an eye on Reunion). With Parallels 8 in coherence mode I do not even see Windows XP running beneath... and all works fine. I would rather have the Reunion UI, though!

argothor
17 March 2013, 11:01 AM
I too recently switched from a PC to a Mac with the hopes of completely getting rid of Windows and Windows based programs. I currently use The Master Genealogist (TMG) and I have over 92,000 people, 131,000 events, and 2,000 photos in my data.

I'm currently running TMG in Coherence mode under Parallels on my Mac, with the idea of ultimately switching over to Reunion so I don't have to have Windows at all. Like some of the earlier posters, I too use TMG's accents to quickly identify people as to how they are related to me. However, after reading this thread, and reading about people's issues of making the switch with databases much smaller than mine, I think I'll continue to run with TMG at least until I have have time to "play" with the demo version of Reunion, which I just downloaded, but unfortunately sets a limit of 50 people.

Deb
18 March 2013, 04:15 PM
...I think I'll continue to run with TMG at least until I have have time to "play" with the demo version of Reunion, which I just downloaded, but unfortunately sets a limit of 50 people.If you would like a temporary license that would enable you to play around with Reunion 10 as a fully licensed version for a limited time, feel free to send an email to me...

sales@leisterpro.com

MorrieRoss
18 February 2015, 01:03 PM
I love Reunion!

I am a long, long, time user of The Master Genealogist. I switched to a Mac a couple of years ago and have been trying to decide whether to keep up a PC just for my genealogy programs (also love Clooz and use GenSmarts)(or get involved in running TMG on my Mac). TMG going out of business made me make a decision. It was a difficult decision, which I see others wrestling with. I just switched to Reunion a couple of days ago and am absolutely amazed at how easy the transition (using GEDCOM) was, and how much I love Reunion already. It is so intuitive and easy to use. I wish I had switched a long time ago. I am comparing TNG 7 to Reunion 10, and everybody might have different experiences, but I am really thrilled. Support at Reunion is amazing also.