PDA

View Full Version : Upload gedcom to Ancestry.com??????

bobmowrer
14 May 2005, 12:23 PM
Has someone successful uploaded their family file to Ancestry? I managed to successfully upload the gedcom, but when viewed in Ancestry's Online Family tree, all records are lost except for the line of first-borns and his/her family. I tried exporting from gggg grandfather and then ggg grandfater to make export smaller. In the first try, four generations were shown--five in second--to the point where there were no decendants of last first born. I have tried different settings for export gedcom--same results. same results. I hope someone has a suggestion.

Bob Mowrer

Gergely
16 May 2005, 06:20 PM
Has someone successful uploaded their family file to Ancestry? I managed to successfully upload the gedcom, but when viewed in Ancestry's Online Family tree, all records are lost except for the line of first-borns and his/her family. I tried exporting from gggg grandfather and then ggg grandfater to make export smaller. In the first try, four generations were shown--five in second--to the point where there were no decendants of last first born. I have tried different settings for export gedcom--same results. same results. I hope someone has a suggestion.I don't use Ancestry's Online Family Tree, anymore, as it tended to leak data. The other problem with it, is that if I remember, it really wants the data from Ancestry Family Tree program.

I have successfully uploaded my GEDCOM to both Ancestry and Rootsweb, from Reunion 8, several times, but not for the Online Family Tree. I upload so that people can contact me, but need to protect information on living and certain data, without constantly disabling a field before the export.

First point, use Rootsweb to do your upload. You have finer control over the gedcom, including removing the data for living people. The URL for using Rootsweb is (copy and paste the link):

http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igmuser.cgi

Anything posted to Rootsweb will show up in Ancestry.Com within 24 hours.

In Reunion, I use the following settings for the Export Gedcom:

Destination: GEDCOM 5.5
GEDCOM Character Set: ANSEL
Line Length: 255

If you use anything other than ANSEL, characters will get mangled or lost. Macintosh extended character sets translate perfectly using ANSEL.

Hope this helps.

- Peter