PDA

View Full Version : Need software suggestion(s)

Steve W. Jackson
13 August 2007, 06:34 PM
I'm planning my purchase of a shiny new MacBook Pro in the relatively near future. I want to get some new software for use in my task of mailing notices for an annual family reunion. Does anyone have any suggestions for good software for this purpose?

I'm currently keeping the address information in an AppleWorks 6 database but want to leave that behind and get iWorks '08. Although I don't currently have need of them, I'm not averse to software that supports some other reunion planning features -- it's just that my primary interest at first is on the mailing list.

While I am an experienced developer, I would prefer something off the shelf. But I'll also consider databases or other ideas -- I'm not ruling out anything for the moment. I'd appreciate any and all suggestions from my fellow Reunion users in this area.

= Steve =

SGilbert
13 August 2007, 07:43 PM
Want tons of graphics and options to use them? "The Print Shop"

Otherwise, just for mailing lists and an occasional graphic; stick with AW.

Bob Goode
13 August 2007, 10:01 PM
Steve,
If you are definitely going to get iWorks 8, then look at the two parts of Pages. It now has both word processing and page layout functions. In the word processing section it has envelope templates. You should be able to export all your addresses in Reunion to Pages or from Appleworks to Pages and then set up your addresses in the envelope template of your choice.

If this approach does not satisfy your purpose, I am sure others will have other software suggestions, but you may want to explore Pages first before investing in additional software.

I am converting all my Appleworks files over to Pages.

Bob

joeswann
14 August 2007, 02:31 PM
There's always FileMaker Pro.

Steve W. Jackson
14 August 2007, 02:51 PM
Want tons of graphics and options to use them? "The Print Shop"

Otherwise, just for mailing lists and an occasional graphic; stick with AW.
Sticking with AppleWorks is an option of last resort, as it's long since been more or less abandoned by Apple. And it will, therefore, never be fully native and independent of Rosetta.

I don't have any interest in graphics.

My main interest in starting out is simply to have a good means of keeping the addresses and some related information (a note, perhaps, along with multiple individual names, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.) and then to produce labels (or directly addressing envelopes), maybe personalized letters, etc.

= Steve =

Steve W. Jackson
14 August 2007, 02:54 PM
Steve,
If you are definitely going to get iWorks 8, then look at the two parts of Pages. It now has both word processing and page layout functions. In the word processing section it has envelope templates. You should be able to export all your addresses in Reunion to Pages or from Appleworks to Pages and then set up your addresses in the envelope template of your choice.

If this approach does not satisfy your purpose, I am sure others will have other software suggestions, but you may want to explore Pages first before investing in additional software.

Bob
I am definitely going to get iWorks '08. I already know that it has page layout and word processing functions, and I don't doubt that it has good templates for envelopes and such. So it's a matter of working out how to store the name/address/assorted information I currently have in an AppleWorks database (Reunion is not involved in this process).

I will, however, take the approach of tinkering in Pages before making a final decision on what, if anything, to buy in addition.

Thanks,
= Steve =

Steve W. Jackson
14 August 2007, 02:57 PM
There's always FileMaker Pro.
Somehow I just knew that somebody was going to say that!! And I seem to remember that you're a tech guy at a school system or something, so you'd be the ideal candidate, eh? :)

Due to its cost, I want to avoid such a purchase unless I see some very compelling value in it...but nothing is ruled out just yet. It will remain on my radar.

Thanks,
= Steve =

Mary Arthur
14 August 2007, 07:07 PM
I'm planning my purchase of a shiny new MacBook Pro in the relatively near future. I want to get some new software for use in my task of mailing notices for an annual family reunion. Does anyone have any suggestions for good software for this purpose?

= Steve =

For the simple thing you are asking, what is wrong with the address book that comes with the OS?

Sara
14 August 2007, 07:55 PM
For the simple thing you are asking, what is wrong with the address book that comes with the OS?

Mary beat me to it. I was going to suggest the same thing.

Bill Spaulding
14 August 2007, 10:45 PM
I suggest using Address Book also. You can separate people into groups so you can control your mailings. Comments can be added for each entry. And you can print mailing labels or envelopes right from Address Book (under File>Print Style). I don't have Pages 08 yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it works well with Address Book also.

And, big bonus, Address Book is FREE with your new Mac. By the way, I believe iLife 8 and iWorks 8 will come free on your new MacBook Pro also.

Good luck and have fun.

Bill Spaulding

Bob Goode
15 August 2007, 12:29 AM
And, big bonus, Address Book is FREE with your new Mac. By the way, I believe iLife 8 and iWorks 8 will come free on your new MacBook Pro also.

Good luck and have fun.

Bill Spaulding

iLife 8 comes with the MacBook Pro, but the iWorks 8 is a 30 day free demo. He will still need to purchase iWorks 8.

Bob

Bob White
15 August 2007, 03:20 AM
You might take a look at Roll Call Directory at http://www.midnightmage.com/. Funny name but it does some things like labels, envelopes, etc., using the data in Address Book. It's shareware and the price is $14.99.

cutemartin
15 August 2007, 07:26 AM
I don't have Pages 08 yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it works well with Address Book also.

Bill Spaulding

Indeed, I am using the trial version of iWork 08 http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/

Not only does it do Mail Merges, but it will take the data straight from an Address Book group. I haven't tried it yet to see how well it works, though...

Martin

PS Just to confirm your suspicions, Apple have apparently announced the formal demise of Appleworks! http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18827

Al Poulin
15 August 2007, 05:47 PM

Bob

Are you doing this one by one? In selected sets? Or is there a way to do this globally? Does the method also work with the older "ClarisWorks" files without converting them to AppleWorks 6 before hand?

Thanks, I plan to get an iMac in a month or so.

Bob Goode
15 August 2007, 08:26 PM
Are you doing this one by one? In selected sets? Or is there a way to do this globally? Does the method also work with the older "ClarisWorks" files without converting them to AppleWorks 6 before hand?

As with many computer questions, the answer requires a convoluted response. If the Appleworks/Clarisworks is a pre-version 6, you must convert to Appleworks 6 and then to Pages. An easier approach is open the older file and copy/paste into Pages, skipping the conversion to Appleworks 6. If there are picts or other graphics in the old file, I just select and drag/drop it in the new Pages file.

Now, if the Appleworks files are from Appleworks V.6.x, then you can select entire groups of files, drag them on top of the Pages icon in the dock and Pages will mass open each file. Save them to the appropriate folder and you have made the transition.

I have been using Pages for a couple of years and most of my Appleworks files are pre-V6.x. If there is a way to convert old Appleworks/Clarisworks files global, I too would like to know. I suspect there is not a way. The transition to Pages is giving me a chance to review old files, converting many and trashing some.

By the way, some sites are reporting that Apple has officially ended support of Appleworks. Using Appleworks for future use becomes more tenuous. I am sure others will post different word processing apps they prefer over Pages. I just like Pages better than Word. But if Word is your new choice then mass dragging and dropping Appleworks files (version 5 or 6) will open in Word. I do not have any remaining Clarisworks files so I don't know how they will open in Word. Pages will not open ClarisWorks files without either converting to Appleworks 6 first or just try copy/paste.

Bob

Bill Spaulding
15 August 2007, 11:00 PM
iLife 8 comes with the MacBook Pro, but the iWorks 8 is a 30 day free demo. He will still need to purchase iWorks 8.

Bob

If you're not in a big rush to get your MacBook Pro you might want to wait until Apple releases the new version of the operating system (last rumor I heard was that it will be released in October). The new OS is usually installed on new computers sold after it's release - saves you paying $100 later. And who knows, they might install iWorks 08 along with iLife 08 to sweeten the deal.

Bill

Tom Robinson
16 August 2007, 06:46 PM
I have been using Pages for a couple of years and most of my Appleworks files are pre-V6.x. If there is a way to convert old Appleworks/Clarisworks files global, I too would like to know. I suspect there is not a way.
Didn't Apple supply an AppleScript with AppleWorks for bulk conversion of old documents? (i.e. bulk convert to latest AppleWorks, then bulk convert to Pages)

Bob Goode
16 August 2007, 09:09 PM
Didn't Apple supply an AppleScript with AppleWorks for bulk conversion of old documents? (i.e. bulk convert to latest AppleWorks, then bulk convert to Pages)

If there is one, could you provide the link as I could not find one; and when Appleworks 6 is open the AppleScript icon in the menu bar does not provide a script for conversion. There was not a conversion script in the AppleScripts folder on my MacBook Pro.

From Apple's Applescript web site.
>>>Here are some common ways that individuals and businesses use AppleScript to save time and money.

Batch processing
File conversion and manipulation
Performing tasks at specified times
Transfering information between databases and other applications
Create automated workflows by linking the actions of multiple applications to perform a series of related tasks<<<

So I hope there is a script laying around somewhere which will allow individuals to Batch convert.

Thanks,

Bob

SGilbert
16 August 2007, 10:23 PM
Unless I'm missing something here; why can't you "get info" on an AW file; go to "open with" and choose Pages; then click "change all".

That would change all AW files to Pages files.

Bob Goode
16 August 2007, 11:10 PM
Unless I'm missing something here; why can't you "get info" on an AW file; go to "open with" and choose Pages; then click "change all".

You have really helped all the individuals with Appleworks 6 files. Your approach should help solve some conversions. But you still have to save each file when you open it. So it is not a true batch conversion. But definitely, better than leaving them as Appleworks 6.
However, with older Appleworks files and definitely Clarisworks files, Pages refuses to open them in the manner you described.

Bob

Bob Parks
17 August 2007, 05:50 PM
Have you tried the AW user group Forum http://www.awug.org/phpBB2/

Bob

Sara
17 August 2007, 06:22 PM
I've found the discussion about converting Appleworks files to iPages interesting. My question: what are you doing about Appleworks databases? I have FileMaker but it won't open them.

Tom Robinson
17 August 2007, 06:39 PM

You realise of course that doesn't actually convert the files? It just tells the Finder to open them in Pages instead of AW.

I can't find a conversion script in my old AW folders. I'm not as old as my avatar, but it's possible I've mis-remembered.

Something like these should point you in the right direction:

http://www.tandb.com.au/appleworks/batch_convert/
http://lists.apple.com/archives/Automator-users/2007/May/msg00003.html

Tom Robinson
20 August 2007, 07:27 PM
I've found the discussion about converting Appleworks files to iPages interesting. My question: what are you doing about Appleworks databases? I have FileMaker but it won't open them.
You can only transfer data between the two, not layouts/reports/sorts/etc.

You'll have to export the data from AppleWorks to something like a tab-delimited file, then drag that file onto FileMaker. FM will create a new database from that.

Wayne Till
20 August 2007, 09:49 PM

Although AppleWorks and Filemaker have the same parentage, FileMaker doesn't open AppleWorks databases. You will have to "Save As" your AW database as ASCII Text, and write down the field names. Then open FileMaker and create a new database with those field names, and import the text file you created.

Sara
21 August 2007, 01:26 AM
Although AppleWorks and Filemaker have the same parentage, FileMaker doesn't open AppleWorks databases. You will have to "Save As" your AW database as ASCII Text, and write down the field names. Then open FileMaker and create a new database with those field names, and import the text file you created.

Yes, I've done that but my Appleworks databases are quite nicely designed and I hate losing all that work. Some I've been using for over 10 years. Guess I'll just have to hold onto Appleworks for as long as possible.

Ursula
21 August 2007, 06:20 AM
Yes, I've done that but my Appleworks databases are quite nicely designed and I hate losing all that work. Some I've been using for over 10 years. Guess I'll just have to hold onto Appleworks for as long as possible.

iWork 08 comes with Numbers, Apple's new spreadsheet application. Numbers can import AppleWorks databases. I bought it because of Pages and Keynote, although I'm not (yet?) using spreadsheets. Maybe it is worth a try, you can download a 30 day trialversion.

Jay Kay
21 August 2007, 06:35 PM

I've been converting MS wks3 into fmp and found that having saved a db as tsv, launch FileMaker, open the tsv from inside FMP: the first record contains the names of the fields, this means that you can change the new field names as designated by fmp (f1, f2, f3 etc) by just changing those to the required names. No writing down required.

As I dislike Appleworks db almost as much as I dislike MS3 I've never bothered to use it, so don't know if it works the same way - but I would have thought so.
Jay

Sara
21 August 2007, 07:28 PM
iNumbers can import AppleWorks databases. .

Tried this, didn't work. Numbers just kept telling me that the requested file wasn't a spreadsheet. I think with some effort I could get all my data to open in FileMaker but, as I said before, I hate to lose my formatting. I do appreciate all the discussion.

Steve W. Jackson
22 August 2007, 05:49 PM
Sorry for the delayed reply...I've been out having some surgery.

There's nothing "wrong" with Address Book for my purpose. I considered it at one point, in fact. But I want a way to have a dedicated address list for this purpose and with features that Address Book won't support without some finagling.

For instance, in my current mailing list, I have a "last name" field and a "names" field, such that any mailing might produce a label for "Bill and Sue Jones", for example. But some cases include "other names" like a case where one family has extended family members named in this way, and they've made it clear that they want a variety of names in their mailings. Further, I need to be able to track when an address turns out bad so that I can exclude someone, rather than immediately removing them -- or printing the label and then trashing it. In other words, I'm hoping to eliminate some waste (and associated cost) along with it.

Then there's the matter of printing the complete list, along with blanks for new information, in more than one form. I use some information for creating mailing labels (which could, of course, be used for direct envelope printing). But I need to print the entire thing (or selected fields from it) into a form which can be displayed for people to check their info, or the info of others they know, at the door.

A convoluted use of "Groups" in Address Book can certainly be made to help me do some of this...and I can even create a separate account on my system, so that its Address Book could be used for this and thereby keep my regular one "pristine". I had just sort of hoped to be able to find something that was specialized for this purpose, even if it included other "reunion planning" features I might never bother to use.

= Steve =

Steve W. Jackson
22 August 2007, 05:57 PM
As I said in an earlier reply to a specific post, I've been out a bit with surgery (for anyone interested, I just got a second cochlear implant, after having gotten my first one in February of 2004). But I've been looking over all these replies and appreciate the feedback.

I already planned to get iWork '08 after it recently became available, since it now includes Numbers. I have not yet finalized my decision as to whether to wait until the official release of Leopard, or to go ahead and order one before that...I'm still cogitating. :)

But the latter entries here about the interaction between Address Book and iWork have led me to think that I might very well want to take yet another look in that direction. I've deliberately avoided some complexities in what I've been using just because I knew that AppleWorks would be coming to an end in the not so distant future. So there's plenty of room for me to grow into iWorks...and maybe, just maybe, I can come up with some interesting ideas for how to make this work out.

Thanks for all the ideas!

= Steve =

martha
23 August 2007, 05:57 AM
I've been converting MS wks3 into fmp and found that having saved a db as tsv, launch FileMaker, open the tsv from inside FMP: the first record contains the names of the fields, this means that you can change the new field names as designated by fmp (f1, f2, f3 etc) by just changing those to the required names. No writing down required.

As I dislike Appleworks db almost as much as I dislike MS3 I've never bothered to use it, so don't know if it works the same way - but I would have thought so.
Jay

Jay, what language are you speaking?? Your first paragraph looks more obtuse than a government manual, all alphabet soup!

Martha

Tom Robinson
24 August 2007, 02:31 AM
Tried this, didn't work. Numbers just kept telling me that the requested file wasn't a spreadsheet.
From the Apple discussion forum it would appear not. Have you tried looking for supported file formats in the Numbers help?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5123382

Sara
24 August 2007, 07:18 PM
From the Apple discussion forum it would appear not. Have you tried looking for supported file formats in the Numbers help?

Found this on the Apple Support website:

"You can create a new Numbers spreadsheet by importing a document created in Microsoft Excel or AppleWorks 6. Numbers can also import files in comma-separated value (CSV) format, tab-delimited format, and Open Financial Exchange (OFX) format.

From AppleWorks, you can only import spreadsheets."

Guess that answers the question doesn't it?