PDA

View Full Version : Visual Basic

John E. McLoughlin
12 May 2005, 11:47 AM
I am hopeful that a member who is familiar with IsNumeric will see this posting and will be able to provide a solution to my problem for which I would be most grateful.

For reasons that I will not labour, I have transferred my focus from Generations to Reunion. To that end, I now have a Mac Mini, Reunion and Office 2004 for Mac, as well as my Windows PC. Incidentally, it is pertinent that Excel 2004 for Mac is said to be compatible with Excel 2003 for Windows.

For some time now, I have transcribed pertinent entries from census pages into Excel spreadsheets and, to calculate the estimated year of birth, I wrote a procedure function. In certain UK Censuses, the ages of men and women are recorded in separate columns and the ages of infants less than one year are given in months (7 m), weeks (3 w) or days (5 d). With this in mind, the following code depicts the area of my function that is problematic:

Function yob71(m_age, f_age) *****************

Legolas
12 May 2005, 02:12 PM
Could you please provide me with a few samples and tell exactly what error message occurs and when it occurs ? May be I can help you.

Alain

John E. McLoughlin
27 May 2005, 05:32 AM
Firstly, I would like to thank Alain for his help with this problem.

It transpires that when using IsNumeric to test if an expression is numeric or not, the Macintosh version of Excel 2003 considers it wrong to pass a non-numeric expression to Isnumeric and thus returns an

John E. McLoughlin
31 May 2005, 08:29 AM
In my last posting, I said

netty
31 May 2005, 09:28 PM
This is totally non-Reunion related, so please contact me off-forum if you have any additionaly information you could share.

I'm looking to learn how to program in Visual Basic & so I can teach a class in it next year (I'm a high school teacher). Haven't had much luck in finding how I can do this on a Mac. What ever recommendations you could provide about how I might accomplish this would be extremely helpful. Additionally, if you provide a few brief examples of the types of things I can do with Visual Basic on a Mac (and what limitations I will run up against as compaired to programming on a PC in VB), that would be most helpful as well.

Most of my 'programming' experience comes from web development (HTML, JavaScript, ASP, ActionScript (Flash), etc.) which I've been doing for nearly ten years. Been a very avid Mac user for longer.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Rick
netty@wi.rr.com