PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with long genealogy lists

tals28
03 August 2007, 07:12 PM
I'm new to Reunion 9 for Mac. Been attempting to make entries that will eventually go back to the 10th century. Heavy on documentation with each generation. What's the best way to start all of this?

Do I make separate family files for each and combine them down the road?

Or do I start at my source and then work backwards?

Basically I have 4 - 6 main families that all then go back. Although each does go back that far. You're talking a heck of a lot of information. So what is the best way?

Thanks,
Micheal

genealogist.lily
06 August 2007, 06:16 PM
I'm new to Reunion 9 for Mac. Been attempting to make entries that will eventually go back to the 10th century. Heavy on documentation with each generation. What's the best way to start all of this?
Basically I have 4 - 6 main families that all then go back. Although each does go back that far. You're talking a heck of a lot of information. So what is the best way?
Thanks,
Micheal

My vote: Reunion doesn't care how big your file becomes - it has an enormous capacity. So put it all together. Otherwise you won't remember where you put certain names and will end up with duplicates. Down the road merging will be a headache all by itself. So create one file - open it - and begin working without worrying about smaller collateral files. This is the voice of experience speaking here... I deeply regret the extra files I created.
Lily

Mary Arthur
06 August 2007, 07:14 PM

Thanks,
Micheal
Yes.

If you ever want just one line, it is easy to mark them and get a report. I can think of no reason to have more than one file if there are any overlaps - actually, I can't really see a need for more than one file at all if you are the only researcher (two people may feel the need, altho even then, I would be tempted to only have one file).

Tim Powys-Lybbe
06 August 2007, 07:52 PM

Thanks,
Micheal
There is no best way, it is only what suits you. But I don't think there is a problem with size: my file has 22,000 people in it and is no problem and remains fast; I have heard of people with numbers towards 100,000 people. So I would say: put all the people in the one file; you will find it much easier for all the reports you end up wanting to do.

For documentation, you can put as much as you want into the Notes fields. Each one holds 64,000 characters (or is it more these days?) and you can add extra Notes fields when you want to.

The one place where there is clearly room for debate is what to do about sources. Some people like to put the whole of each source into their family file and this can certainly make the files very large. But if, as they should be, the source is publicly available, all you need is to put in a reference so that the reader knows where to find it if they want.

Finally it will take you a long time entering all the data, it has certainly taken me a few years. You can't afford to lose this so ensure you make frequent backups and ensure also that you always have one recent backup off-site in case of a catastrophe at your house.

martha
07 August 2007, 02:37 AM

Thanks,
Micheal

I can recommend strongly that you do NOT split the files. I did that and have mourned it ever since. Trying to merge them back again is just a nightmare.
Sigh. I wish I had asked at the beginning when I started using Reunion 4. But if wishes were horses, beggars would ride...and all of that. Save yourself a lot of trouble - don't split the files.

Martha