PDA

View Full Version : Gedcom Editor/Reader

Bill Hawke
03 August 2007, 10:27 AM
Can anyone suggest a good Gedcom Reader to work with Reunion 9 ?

ByronSpoon
04 August 2007, 01:22 AM
You might go to Cyndi's List
--> http://www.cyndislist.com/
and scroll down to the GEDCOM category. You'll find "GEDCOM software" and "Software and Computers" listed there (including viewers). But since some of these may be considered Reunion competitors, it would be inappropriate to recommend any of these here on ReunionTalk... except for Reunion <grin>.

Bob White
05 August 2007, 09:03 PM
Why would you need a separate piece of software? Just import the file into Reunion, work with it in Reunion and then create a new GEDCOM file with your edits contained. Or am I missing something here?

jimrite
06 August 2007, 06:15 PM
Every now and then when I export a Gedcom file from Reunion to import into MyRoots, I get an error message from MyRoots indicating a problem with a line in the Gedcom file. I have used BBEdit Lite (free download) to open the Gedcom file, go to the indicated line and make the necessary correction. Not sure if this is what you mean by a Gedcom reader. Otherwise, I agree that all you need is to import the file into Reunion.

ACWhite
08 August 2007, 08:05 PM
You might go to Cyndi's List
--> http://www.cyndislist.com/
and scroll down to the GEDCOM category. You'll find "GEDCOM software" and "Software and Computers" listed there (including viewers). But since some of these may be considered Reunion competitors, it would be inappropriate to recommend any of these here on ReunionTalk... except for Reunion <grin>.

Hi, I'm a newbie. Would it be inappropriate to ask for a recommendation on Windows software, since Reunion doesn't make a Windows version? I want to get this for a relative with a Windows machine (I have a Mac and love Reunion 9).

I've gone to Cyndi's list but find the many choices rather overwhelming.

Thanks!

Mary Arthur
09 August 2007, 06:21 PM
I want to get this for a relative with a Windows machine (I have a Mac and love Reunion 9).

Thanks!
1. Does she have any other relatives who use any type (get their advice).

2. Does she live somewhere that has a user group for one?

3. Get free one - Legacy seems fairly good.

4. Ask if she is going to get a new computer soon and suggest a Mac :-)

Marilynn
09 August 2007, 07:48 PM
Legacy Family Tree from Millennia Software. All my friends who have windoze machines who have switched from Family Tree Maker love Legacy.
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/

Marilynn

Harold Polk
09 August 2007, 08:01 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie. Would it be inappropriate to ask for a recommendation on Windows software, since Reunion doesn't make a Windows version? I want to get this for a relative with a Windows machine (I have a Mac and love Reunion 9).

Thanks!

My windows friends tell me that Legacy is the way to go. These friends have loaded gedcoms into Family Tree Maker and the dates that do not conform to it's strict format are deleted and error messages are generated. If you have a large gedcom the error messages can be overwhelming. In my opinion this is a major shortcoming.

Agnes E. Cloninger
09 August 2007, 08:17 PM

Thanks!

If memory serves the program that most closely resembles our beloved Reunion is Legacy. Visit their site where you can download a sample to have a look for yourself. No they will not run on a Mac but you can use the GED-com feature nicely.

ACWhite
16 August 2007, 06:30 PM
1. Does she have any other relatives who use any type (get their advice).

2. Does she live somewhere that has a user group for one?

3. Get free one - Legacy seems fairly good.

4. Ask if she is going to get a new computer soon and suggest a Mac :-)

Hi, Mary, thanks. He can't get a new computer :-) and isn't an active genealogist; I just want him to be able to read a file I send him. We don't know of any other relatives who use the computer; a few are doing things by hand. I will look into Legacy. Thanks!

ACWhite
16 August 2007, 06:31 PM
If memory serves the program that most closely resembles our beloved Reunion is Legacy. Visit their site where you can download a sample to have a look for yourself. No they will not run on a Mac but you can use the GED-com feature nicely.

Thanks, Agnes, Marilynn and Harold!

Mary Arthur
17 August 2007, 06:21 PM
I just want him to be able to read a file I send him.

if he doesn't want to do anything to the file but just wishes to see it, then maybe webcards would be the way to go - they open in any browser and look great.