PDA

View Full Version : Gene file identification?

watertender3c
26 July 2007, 03:43 PM
I have been trying to convert the file shown in the following snapshot to a Reunion file and have not been successful. Would someone please identify the type of file it is and if possable tell me how to convert it.
Thank you very much

theKiwi
26 July 2007, 03:45 PM
There was no file in the snapshot.

Can you post the file name (and its extension),

or if you like eMail the file to me at rogerkiwi@aol.com and I'll take a look at it for you.

Roger

Oriolus
11 November 2007, 12:01 PM
I have been trying to convert the file shown in the following snapshot to a Reunion file and have not been successful. Would someone please identify the type of file it is and if possible tell me how to convert it.
Thank you very much
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and not a Reunion user yet. This was the only post I could find about changing from Gene to Reunion.
Still a satisfied Gene user, but aware of the fact that I cannot trust my nearly ten year old iMac (Gene won't run in Classic mode at my G3 running under Panther), I'm very interested in:
1. Are you (and others who may have taken the step) (a) happy user(s) of Reunion now? I'm so very fond of the simplicity in how Gene works and gives me almost what I desire... :(
2. Is Reunion comparably about as simple as Gene, or have I to cry :(, but have I to accept as things go? :)
3. As a matter of fact, I can choose whether to use my Mac i.c. Reunion, but I could also choose an other program that runs under Windows; all depending on the quality and ease of use of the program... Or shouldn't I mention Windows in this forum? :D
4. If Reunion is a good choice after all, what would be the best method to make the move? In the quoted text above watertender3c writes about conversion. What does that imply and is this different from and thus preferable compared to exporting from Gene and importing in Reunion via a GEDCOM-file?
I would be very obliged if I could have your opinion(s) about the things I'm wondering about.
Thank all of you who would tell something of interest or importance to the forum and of course especially to me :)
TIA, Oriolus

dfilpus
11 November 2007, 01:40 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and not a Reunion user yet. This was the only post I could find about changing from Gene to Reunion.
Still a satisfied Gene user, but aware of the fact that I cannot trust my nearly ten year old iMac (Gene won't run in Classic mode at my G3 running under Panther), I'm very interested in:
1. Are you (and others who may have taken the step) (a) happy user(s) of Reunion now? I'm so very fond of the simplicity in how Gene works and gives me almost what I desire... :(
2. Is Reunion comparably about as simple as Gene, or have I to cry :(, but have I to accept as things go? :)
3. As a matter of fact, I can choose whether to use my Mac i.c. Reunion, but I could also choose an other program that runs under Windows; all depending on the quality and ease of use of the program... Or shouldn't I mention Windows in this forum? :D
4. If Reunion is a good choice after all, what would be the best method to make the move? In the quoted text above watertender3c writes about conversion. What does that imply and is this different from and thus preferable compared to exporting from Gene and importing in Reunion via a GEDCOM-file?
I would be very obliged if I could have your opinion(s) about the things I'm wondering about.
Thank all of you who would tell something of interest or importance to the forum and of course especially to me :)
TIA, Oriolus

1. I moved my research from Gene to Reunion by exporting a Gedcom and importing it into a new family file. The move went smoothly.

2. Reunion has a demo. Try it to see whether you think it is simple. I find it to be easy to use, but very deep. I'm learning things all the time about Reunion's functionality. This board helps a lot.

3. Was there a real question 3?

4. GEDCOM works just fine. The folks at Leister and on this board will help deal with any quirks in the transfer. The only quirks I found were from funny tags left from a GEDCOM I had imported into Gene and Gene did not process correctly.

Oriolus
20 November 2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks dfilpus,

I'm sorry that I only react on your clear answers just now: I thought I had set this board to tell me when there is an answer to it; apparently I didn't...

About question 3, well it was a question indeed, but I was a bit unsure about what kind of answers I would get, that's why I put the last bit of the question as a sort of escape, if you get what I mean. So, yes I could as easily use my Windows-PC for the research and install software on that machine. I'm afraid, there is no Reunion for Windows? Any comparable software to Reunion when talking about easiness in use?

Trying to get my wishes more clear on either machne:
I find it to be easy to use, but very deep.
By deep you mean that it has so many possibilities?
What I'm really after is the ease of Gene. I'm not so interested in all kinds of gadgets to the software: The way you used Gene was straightforward, wasn't it? Can I work with Reunion as simple when I only use that functionality that Gene offered?

I would be very grateful with your answers, thanks in advance!

Mongold
21 November 2007, 09:01 AM
I think by "deep" the meaning was "many options".

Reunion can be used as a very basic "family tree" program; however: is does have many options IF YOU CARE TO USE THEM.

Bob in NC
Power Book G4, OS X10.4.10, Reunion 9.06