PDA

View Full Version : Unable to do "long" (banner) prints

wadiuwant
09 May 2005, 04:15 AM
System: running 10.3.9.
Printer: HP Deskjet 930C

I have a nice long descendants chart (115" (~290 cm)) that I would like to print as one continuous page on my printer. (I already have the banner (fan-fold) paper.)

I created a custom page size (A4 width + 115 inches long), so the chart is on one virtual page. However whenever I've tried to print, printing starts on what would be the last A4 page (the weird thing is that the page order is not set to reverse order) and I have to stop the print immediately.

Banner-printing is supposed to be possible with this printer, but there is no banner checkbox on the print dialog.

I've tried using HP's printer driver V2.5 and Gimp-Print V4.2.7 both with identical unsuccessful results.

I've tried HP's online support without receiving an answer and I'm about to try gimp-print's help forum, but I thought that I'd ask here in case someone had already solved this problem.

Thanks in advance
Richard

ttl
09 May 2005, 10:50 AM
Here's some completely nonauthoritative random thoughts:

- If you're using Reunion's virtual plotter to create a custom page in OS X, you might run into problems. If you haven't already, use OS X's custom paper size creation function to create your custom paper size.

- This printer had been around for a while when OS X 10.0 came out. Generic OS X drivers were created for some of these printers, but a common complaint at the time was that many features were not supported in these bare-bones drivers. Perhaps this is what you're encountering. GIMP doesn't always support all features either.

- Long shot thought: maybe the page is too long. Try one that's 60" and see what happens. The specs say that banners can be printed up to 20 pages long, but I'd try it anyway.

- If you can reboot in OS 9, I'd wager that the OS 9 driver will work the way you want.

Good luck!

jmonty
09 May 2005, 05:40 PM
Another thing to try -

Does the printout look right if you do a preview (or print to PDF?) If not then your printer is not immediately to blame.

STEVE
10 May 2005, 12:59 AM
System: running 10.3.9.
Printer: HP Deskjet 930C

I have a nice long descendants chart (115" (~290 cm)) that I would like to print as one continuous page on my printer. (I already have the banner (fan-fold) paper.)

I created a custom page size (A4 width + 115 inches long), so the chart is on one virtual page. However whenever I've tried to print, printing starts on what would be the last A4 page (the weird thing is that the page order is not set to reverse order) and I have to stop the print immediately.

Banner-printing is supposed to be possible with this printer, but there is no banner checkbox on the print dialog.

I've tried using HP's printer driver V2.5 and Gimp-Print V4.2.7 both with identical unsuccessful results.Richard. I've had problems with HP's printers/drivers in the past. They can, and do, do odd things. Suggestion #1. Turn on reverse printing and try that. It's worked for me in the past trying to do the same thing. Suggestion #2, Contact Tim Lunden. He's the expert at this sort of thing. He does printouts of Reunion charts on his professional equipment for people (mine are fantastic) and is always willing to help people with problems.

STEVE

wadiuwant
18 May 2005, 02:56 AM
To those who replied with suggestions, thank you.

I found the solution to my problem. As is always, I should have known the correct method before I made the mistakes. However the answer is as follows:

1. Don't use custom page sizes.

2. Open Page Setup and ensure that (in my case) DeskJet 930c is selected (not Any Printer).

3. Now when selecting the page size, A4 Banner (and for you Americans, Letter Banner) is now available as a selection (off A4 and Letter respectively).

4. Create (adjust as necessary) and print your chart. Make sure that the Banner option displays as the page size. If it doesn't then the printer setting has probably reset to Any Printer.

Wow it works. Of course, my color cartridge faded before the end of the chart, but what would the world be without Murphy.

Regards
Richard

ttl
18 May 2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the update. It's nice to know the end of the story. Glad you found the solution!