PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry.com - Thanks

Charles Cox
11 July 2007, 06:11 PM
After much pulling of hair with Ancestry.com they have repaired the My Ancestry site and its family tree option so that it is now compatible with Safari.

Thanks to them. I can strongly recommend that site as a very valuable source of data

Charles

John
12 July 2007, 06:47 PM
Well you may have helped us all because my Ancestry family trees now work fine via my Safari as well. I've found Ancestry to be a valuable resource but all their changes over the last year have often been maddening to say the least!
- John
OS 10.4.10
Reunion 9.05
_____

Rob_McAlear
12 July 2007, 08:27 PM
After much pulling of hair with Ancestry.com they have repaired the My Ancestry site and its family tree option so that it is now compatible with Safari.

Thanks to them. I can strongly recommend that site as a very valuable source of data

Charles
Charles, would you consider "walking me through" the process of submitting my data to Ancestry.com? I have tried making a GedCom but have not been successful. I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. Step-by-step instructions might get me there.

Rob

mwphelps
13 July 2007, 06:30 PM

Charles

Forgive the question, but I missed the lead in to this posting. What exactly was the issue with Safari that the Ancestry site would not work properly?

Charles Cox
13 July 2007, 06:36 PM
The first step, of course, is to create a gedcom file of the data you want to post. You will need to decide how much you want to post. Under "export gedcom" you have the option of exporting all the data in your file or only "marked people." I have exported my father's family and my mother's family separately. The export option will also ask for destination. I have forgotten which I chose but the default is Gedcom 5.5. and I seem to remember using that - I am not very adventurous about this kind of thing.

The next step once the gedcom file(s) is created is to go to ancestry.com. At the top choose "My Ancestry." Close to the top will be the option: "upload a family tree." There you will have the option of choosing the gedcom file which you have created.

You will need to give the tree a name, eg, The Smith Family.

There follows options such as "allow others to see your info and tgo be used in OneWorld Tree."

When the data is uploaded there is the option of letting others have access to the data for the purpose of editing. I have listed on mine the names of my sons so that they can view the data as well as add to it.

One of the neatest features of this site is that Ancestry will from time to time signal - a green leaf beside an entry on the tree - that they have additional data which you might or might not want to include automatically. While this helps document entries on your family tree, it also means that you need to update the data on your computer.

Enjoy
Charles

Bob White
14 July 2007, 06:14 PM
Forgive the question, but I missed the lead in to this posting. What exactly was the issue with Safari that the Ancestry site would not work properly?
You can find several discussions in older threads. As I recall, it mostly had to do with viewing/downloading graphics such as census sheets.

Charles Cox
16 July 2007, 08:06 PM
No, my concern earlier was that the Ancestry site - family tree would not completely display via Safari. They have now corrected this problem.

Thanks
Charles