PDA

View Full Version : Place names changing

xejn
07 July 2007, 11:35 PM
My wife has several family members born in Pre WWI Eastern Europe (lots of Russian and Austrian Empire towns) and isn't sure how to indicate this in place fields for BMD, obviously country borders have changed significantly since then and what was once "Russia" no longer is. It seems to change on the census as well. Any suggestions for keeping track of this in some coherent way would be appreicated.

Thanks-
Michael

Michael Talibard
08 July 2007, 04:20 AM
My wife has several family members born in Pre WWI Eastern Europe (lots of Russian and Austrian Empire towns) and isn't sure how to indicate this in place fields for BMD, obviously country borders have changed significantly since then and what was once "Russia" no longer is. It seems to change on the census as well. Any suggestions for keeping track of this in some coherent way would be appreicated.
Thanks-
MichaelThere is a similar problem with counties in England. Do you want to record the information as you found it? Obviously, yes - especially for sources. Do you want to show the current name for that place? Also yes. So just put both - e.g. Bath, Somerset (now Avon).

brandt
09 July 2007, 07:03 AM
As your records are fixed in time and changes go on, I should suggest '2007, Avon' instead of 'now Avon'.
Or even: 1814 ...., 1870 ...., 1914 ..., 1945 ..., etc. (especially on the European continent).

Dirk Brandt

Christer Hellholm
10 July 2007, 08:30 AM
I too, want to have a separate place field. One field could be called "current place", the second could be called "history place". In that way you could see which country a relative lived and what country it belongs today. That would solve prevoius posts, I think.

brandt
10 July 2007, 07:34 PM
This last suggestion is the other way round. The first place field should be the "history place" that belongs to the date of the Event: Birth, Death, etc, placed in front
The second field could be called "current place"; and when you place this information just behind the first one, there is no need of two seperate fields.
The one line on the Card is long enough (and there is a Memo field too).

Pat Bell
03 August 2007, 06:00 PM
There is a similar problem with counties in England. Do you want to record the information as you found it? Obviously, yes - especially for sources. Do you want to show the current name for that place? Also yes. So just put both - e.g. Bath, Somerset (now Avon).

The same problem on a smaller scale exists in the U. S. It's very useful to keep a list of when the various states came into the Union and from what states they were formed. Virginia in 1790 was a large state; Kentucky was formed from it (don't remember quite when, but it is an early state following the original 13.

The same is true of counties within states as well. Two states I've "worked" with are Tennessee and Arkansas, and both have counties being formed by either dividing one large county, or taking chunks from several counties. I usually make a note of that when I identify locations.