Andrew-Bede Allsop
14 June 2007, 02:58 PM
Okay, a follow-on to John

R. Walker
14 June 2007, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=Andrew-Bede Allsop]Okay, a follow-on to John

Mary Arthur
14 June 2007, 07:53 PM
What I mean is, is it worth shelling out the shekels? What exactly are the benefits of getting DNA testing done? .

If you have an unusual surname, and two (or more) male's you think are likely related, but you can't find the link, the tests may tell you that they are related, and make it 'worth' continuing to look for the link.

But in all cases, this assumes that blood ties are what you are interested in, not relationships.

I also feel it important to point out, that people can discover things they would rather not know. Two brothers could find out that they do not have the same father, two cousins could find out that they do not have the same grandfather . . . In my opinion, this does not mean anything, but it could have a major impact on your view of your mother (grandmother) with possibly no way of finding out the 'truth'.

WilliamTaber
14 June 2007, 09:36 PM

S. Kennedy
15 June 2007, 12:29 AM
Hi A-B,
It depends on what you want to know. Are you doing a family name project. Do you want to find others with that name, and see how the families connect?

Do you have a "paper trail" of genealogy back to 16something, and want to test the y-dna of the males in your extended family to see how they all fit?

Do you have an "unknown" paternity event, and want an idea where the family connects from that point back?

Are you interested in the general research process, finding how all the ancestors migrated and from where, in other words the deep history?

You may or may not get the answers by having your DNA tested. As to whether it is "worth it" only you can answer that. It depends upon your interest and what you want to get out of it. It is not all cut and dried, and you may end up with more questions than answers, but DNA testing for genealogical purposes is in its infancy, and new things are learned every day. I suggest subscribing ( in Digest Mode) to the Rootsweb Genealogy-DNA forum,
http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html
and lurk for a while reading about what others are finding out. Also check out National Geographic Project https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/index.html
and Family Tree DNA
http://www.familytreedna.com/
for their tutorial/ information.

Also Charles Kirchner's DNA Testing/Info page:
http://www.kerchner.com/dna-info.htm

Then you'll have to decide yourself what worth it has to you.
"rwalker"

This is an excellent general answer with links that will provide enough information to keep one busy for more time than most of us have. For me, I got involved because my paternal line has hit a stone wall in Hanover County VA about 1730. I have hopes that DNA might provide some clue as to the source of my family before that time. Unfortunately, except for two cousins and myself none of the public databases reveal any relationships of significance. This includes several hundred sets of Kennedy family data. All that is proven so far is that there is a good match between myself and a cousin descendent from a brother of my ggg grandfather. I am still hoping for a match with someone that can trace their lineage back further.

Katharine Ott
15 June 2007, 11:33 AM

Larry Jelf
01 May 2008, 04:57 PM
DNA testing has interested me for some time now. I have one, to me, major question.
If there is a contingent in England with the same name as me but of unproven
relationship ( very unusual name) and if that English faction has had DNA testing, would I be able to see if there is a bloodline connection between us, or would the test be far more general than that? I'm wavering on this test. I want to see a result. Letters in the forum don't seem to really answer this. Thank you for your attention.

WilliamTaber
01 May 2008, 08:20 PM
DNA testing has interested me for some time now. I have one, to me, major question.
If there is a contingent in England with the same name as me but of unproven
relationship ( very unusual name) and if that English faction has had DNA testing, would I be able to see if there is a bloodline connection between us, or would the test be far more general than that? I'm wavering on this test. I want to see a result. Letters in the forum don't seem to really answer this. Thank you for your attention.Assuming you are both males, yes, it will tell you if you have a common heritage in that surname. Without genealogy study, of course, you would not know who the common link was.

Nick
04 May 2008, 07:03 PM
...would I be able to see if there is a bloodline connection between us...

The real answer is: maybe. If your DNA tests comprise enough 'markers' (criteria) they can confirm that two individuals almost certainly have a common ancestor. I have been (successfully) using such tests to elucidate whether genealogically unconnected groups bearing the same surname (LAIDMAN in this case) are in fact related. A positive result encourages me to continue documentary research and find the connection.

But what about a negative result when comparing two individuals with the same surname? It means they are not (genetically) related, and have no common ancestor. But it still may be possible to connect them genealogically: there may have been an illegitimacy in one of the lines. I am amazed at the number of illegitimacies in my database - and that is 'known' illegitimacies; the number of 'unknown' ones - of which only the mother is maybe aware - is probably as great or greater.

All this to say that DNA tests are well worth forking out for if you have a specific aim in mind. And if the result is positive, that's brilliant. If it's negative however, it is meaningless (apart from the pure genetics), and no genealogical conclusion can be drawn from it.