PDA

View Full Version : Using Parallels, BootCamp, etc. to access PC CD information

Margit
14 June 2007, 02:36 PM
I know there has been much discussion in the past about the worth of the data on FTM CDs, so that issue aside, I would like to know if running Parallels, BootCamp or any of the new virtual programs for the Intel Mac will allow viewing of information on PC-only CDs. In brief, do the virtualization programs allow you to access the CD drive for PC material?

As well, do the virtualization programs assist with accessing websites that are difficult to read using a Mac?

Thanks for any information on this.

Steve W. Jackson
14 June 2007, 06:29 PM
I know there has been much discussion in the past about the worth of the data on FTM CDs, so that issue aside, I would like to know if running Parallels, BootCamp or any of the new virtual programs for the Intel Mac will allow viewing of information on PC-only CDs. In brief, do the virtualization programs allow you to access the CD drive for PC material?

As well, do the virtualization programs assist with accessing websites that are difficult to read using a Mac?

Your Mac can already read the CDs themselves, so the only issue is those which require a PC to run software to utilize their contents. And for that purpose, since the optical drive on your Mac will operate from the Windows environment in these other situations, the answer should easily be yes, that you can indeed use them in that way.

As for web sites, that is a slightly different issue. The problem is that the most commonly used browser among Windows users is notorious for not handling Web standards well (if at all), and a great many web sites are designed to work only with that browser. In that sense, running Windows under one of the virtualization programs, or booting it directly (which is what Boot Camp allows, rather than virtualization), means that you'll be able to run that very same nasty browser. But you might also find that some other browsers on your Mac can handle those sites too. If Safari doesn't work well with one, try Camino, Firefox, or one of several others. When all else fails, you could resort to Windows...but I would not recommend buying any of these solutions and the high price of Windows itself only for that particular problem.

= Steve =

JamesWinfrey
15 June 2007, 06:35 PM

Margit,

I am a recent convert from the Dark Side. I bought Parallels when I bought my Mac, not having a specific for making the change. Parallels works great for me. I can open a Mac app and a Windows app side by side and even copy information between them. I did a lot of work getting Reunion set up and since then have haven't seen a need to start Parallels often but when I need it, it is a solid performer.

Jim

Tom Robinson
15 June 2007, 09:13 PM
I'll second what Steve said and add that:

- I do all my research online or at the library and have never missed accessing data on CD (also CD must have a limited life-span before everything goes online)

- The more people who access websites through Safari (or other non-Internet Explorer browsers) and/or complain about how they perform when running under a standards compliant browser such as Safari, the more those sites will take alternative browsers seriously.

Cheers

Bob White
16 June 2007, 02:04 PM
I have a couple of the LDS Family Search Pedigree Resource Files. They come with a dark side application named Progeny Family Explorer. The application serves both as an index and retreival tool. This runs just fine in Parallels. The data on these CD's is not readable directly from OSX.