PDA

View Full Version : How to cite certificates?

Andrew-Bede Allsop
30 May 2007, 07:53 AM
What is the generally accepted way to cite copies of BMD certificates that have been obtained through GRO?

AE Palmer
30 May 2007, 09:40 PM
What is the generally accepted way to cite copies of BMD certificates that have been obtained through GRO?

GRO?

My guess would be to use the "certificate" source format.

Frank Mitchell
30 May 2007, 10:04 PM
See thread
http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=2669

I think you can also link a mutimedia item (scanned copy of the certificate) to the source in R9, but I haven't done it yet.

STEVE
30 May 2007, 10:16 PM

GRO. Great Records Orginization; General Recording Orders; Grandfathers Regular Odor; Growing Real Orchids? I can make a guess at BMD, but GRO leaves me wondering...

STEVE

theKiwi
30 May 2007, 11:05 PM
GRO. Great Records Orginization; General Recording Orders; Grandfathers Regular Odor; Growing Real Orchids? I can make a guess at BMD, but GRO leaves me wondering...

STEVE

I guess if you have certificates from there you know what it means :-)

GRO = General Register Office. It is for England and Wales. Scotland has its own record keeping as does Northern Ireland - all 4 parts together known as United Kingdom.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Roger

Andrew-Bede Allsop
31 May 2007, 02:24 AM
Okay folks sorry I was not clear. GRO is indeed the Genral Records Office. What I have is what I suspect many if not most of you have and that is copy certificates as opposed to the originals issued at the actual time of the birth, death or marriage. So all the reference numbers are modern. There is an Application Number, a Certificate Number and a the modern date, (eg 24th. May 2007) that the copy certificate was issued

Andrew-Bede Allsop
31 May 2007, 02:42 AM
Okay folks sorry I was not clear. GRO is indeed the Genral Records Office. What I have is what I suspect many if not most of you have and that is copy certificates as opposed to the originals issued at the actual time of the birth, death or marriage. So all the reference numbers are modern. There is an Application Nu,ber, a Certificate Number and a the modern date, (eg 24th. May 2007) that the copy certificate was issued

John Hill
31 May 2007, 04:56 AM
Okay folks sorry I was not clear. GRO is indeed the Genral Records Office. What I have is what I suspect many if not most of you have and that is copy certificates as opposed to the originals issued at the actual time of the birth, death or marriage. So all the reference numbers are modern.
There is no difference, in law or in practice, between a certificate issued at the time and a certificate issued last week. Both are certified copies of the entry in the register itself.
All that anyone needs to obtain a further copy, i.e. another certificate, are:
The registration district;
The registration subdistrict (which may be the same as the district);
The year of registration;
The number of the certificate;
The name(s).
So this is all you need to quote in your citation. The modern numbers you quote are of no use in obtaining a copy.
I use the Vital Record format, which contains Title (the type of certificate, B, M or D and the name), Date (the year), Locality (the Subdistrict), Certificate Number (the number in the first column), Register (District). There is a media type field that I used to fill in saying whether it was an original or a photocopy, but there is little point in that - all it can do is distinguish whether or not your copy has legal standing .
For church marriages, you will need the church for Locality but the rest is the same.
John.

Michael Talibard
31 May 2007, 12:28 PM
Okay folks sorry I was not clear. GRO is indeed the Genral Records Office. What I have is what I suspect many if not most of you have and that is copy certificates as opposed to the originals issued at the actual time of the birth, death or marriage. So all the reference numbers are modern. There is an Application Number, a Certificate Number and a the modern date, (eg 24th. May 2007) that the copy certificate was issued.
To order that certificate from the GRO, you normally need to cite 5 things: Year; Civil parish or District; Quarter; Volume; Page - something like 1891, Hackney, AprMayJun, vol.4b, p.137. They actually send you with the certificate another coloured A4 sheet that gives these volume and page numbers in case you didn't make a note. So those are the things that I cite when recording the source in Reunion, preceded by 3 other things: Country; County (except for Jersey, where I leave out County); and Birth, Death or Marriage. I follow all this (for completeness' sake) by the entry number, which is the first thing in the central (photographic) region of the certificate. This makes 9 elements in most cases; you can put the last one, or the last two, in the 'Detail' box if you prefer. If you have often been to Registry Offices and seen volumes taken off shelves for you to search through, it seems natural to think of that volume as the source, and the page number etc as detail. But it's up to you.

Andrew-Bede Allsop
31 May 2007, 02:13 PM
Thank you all for your help.