PDA

View Full Version : Gedcom Tags

Anne C Booth
04 May 2005, 07:12 PM
Hi,

Could someone explain how you choose the gedcom tags for your own topics under Facts and Notes. I have been told by receiving programs that I don't have standard tags.

Thanks

Anne C Booth

Mary Arthur
05 May 2005, 08:12 PM
Could someone explain how you choose the gedcom tags for your own topics under Facts and Notes. I have been told by receiving programs that I don't have standard tags.The short answer is no. Gedcom has not been updated (I think this is the last: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~pmcbride/gedcom/55gctoc.htm) and will not be updated - trying to use gedcom to transfer information beyond name, birthdate, deathdate, marriage date (possibly place names) is a way to drive yourselves crazy.
FYI accepting a gedcom rather than entering the information yourself can also cause problems in the future - you are able to catch errors, and connections by typing the found information yourself that no computer program could (you also can make mistakes - see thread about feasability).

Mary Arthur

theKiwi
06 May 2005, 01:51 AM
I wouldn't be so down on GEDCOM - it depends on where the information is destined to, and probably the competency of the person getting the file and the software they use.

I use GEDCOM to get my data out of Reunion to be published online using TNG (The Next Generation of Genealogy Site Building).

http://Lythgoes.net/genealogy/software/

I am able to get almost all of my data out of Reunion and into TNG. This includes 85 Custom Tags that are used in Reunion for Notes, facts, events and sources.

Apart from a few that I choose not to show online in TNG, they all make it into TNG.

Flags don't get transferred, neither do Child Statuses or Multimedia links, but most everything else does.

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/getperson.php?personID=I16&tree=Roger

shows someone with a reasonable number of custom events and notes and sources set up that show online. The content of the sources is displayed if you click a source number at the bottom of the page. The photos displayed on that page are linked up using TNG's Admin capabilities.

Sure it took some time and attention to detail to set it all up so that every possible field in Reunion has a unique GEDCOM tag assigned to it, and then to go through the configuration of TNG to set it up to import these different fields with a field name, but the end result is that very little of the data in my Reunion database is not able to be transferred to another software.

The next version of TNG will be even better, with support for sources in Notes fields which hasn't been the case up until now (although they do suffer the common GEDCOM problem that all sources scattered through a notes field are dumped to the end of that notes field).

Cheers

Roger

Anne C Booth
06 May 2005, 06:49 PM
Mary and Roger,

Thanks for the help with gedcom tags. Appreciate your taking time to write.

Anne Booth

Eirik StrÝm
07 May 2005, 03:03 PM
Could someone explain how you choose the gedcom tags for your own topics under Facts and Notes. I have been told by receiving programs that I don't have standard tags.

Short and to the point. So let us find an explanation. (By the way, I notice that you do not mention personally defined topics under Events, so I shall not deal with those, although they would have proved the most interesting...)

First we have to establish that GEDCOM is a standard dealing with information exchange and nothing else. One program exports information which it is constructed to handle into a GEDCOM file, and another program imports the same file keeping the parts of the file that it is constructed to handle and possibly skips the rest. Skipping parts of a GEDCOM file when importing is legitimate if the receiving software is not made to handle the information in question - the software may still be called GEDCOM compatible.

For events and facts (or attributes in the GEDCOM terminology) the GEDCOM standard has defined a list of acceptable tags (standard tags) to be used. Reunion uses most of these tags. A few attributes tags, such as PROP (Possessions), RESI (Residence), and TITL (Nobility_type_title) are missing or merely utilized in part in Reunion, so if you need to register information under such facts/attributes you will have to define them yourself, using standard GEDCOM tags. For notes GEDCOM specifies only one tag called NOTE. (It should be noted that Reunion among its facts and notes definitions uses quite a few GEDCOM tags that are not among the specified standard GEDCOM 5.5 tags, and such predefined Reunion tags may also trigger a response of "not standard GEDCOM tag" if you try to import a GEDCOM file including those tags into another genealogy program.)

Then what about personalized tags? In the case of events the GEDCOM standard presents a workaround for those wanting to personalize events. For events and notes no workarounds are offered.

The GEDCOM standard prescribes that a user may generally be allowed to define his own GEDCOM tags. But they must be preceded by an underscore (like: _TAG). Furthermore this method is not at all recommended by the standard. And such tags can never be called standard tags although they comply with specifications in the GEDCOM standard.

The answer to your query therefore is: The handling of non-standard GEDCOM tags (including personalized tags) is up to the genealogy program that imports a GEDCOM file. Reunion accepts such tags - however, since a GEDCOM file includes no tag definitions the creator of the GEDCOM file imported must supply such definitions separately. Other programs may put information marked by such tags in a note field, or they will refuse to accept any non-standard codes (as they may refuse even standard GEDCOM tags if treatment of their contents is outside the scope of the program). Before exporting GEDCOM files containing personalized GEDCOM tags you must therefore assure yourself that the receiving software is able to handle such tags in a proper way.

Gedcom has not been updated (I think this is the last: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~pmcbride/gedcom/55gctoc.htm) and will not be updated

Both yes and no. The last definite version of the GEDCOM standard is 5.5 as mentioned above. On another discussion in ReunionTalk is given a link to the more recent 5.51 version. This is however a draft version that has never been authorized for official use.

The GEDCOM standard has not been updated because it has in reality been superseded by the GedXML standard. The v. 6.0 was presented as a draft version in December 2002, and the preface makes it clear that the creators considered this version ready to be tested by software publishers. This has not happened. Further development seems also to have been hampered by the death of a person connected with the GEDCOM project. So predicting the future is as difficult as ever...

- Eirik Str

STEVE
10 May 2005, 12:15 AM
Thank you Eirik for your informed reply.

[QUOTE=Eirik Str

Anne C Booth
12 May 2005, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=Eirik Str

Gregg
13 May 2005, 11:51 AM
...Its too bad we can't get wills, deeds, etc into Events as can be done in Legacy Family Tree (for PC)Please expand on your statement here.

Wills, deeds, etc. are not events. Wouldn't it be better to enter them as notes, multimedia items or shared sources?

Mark Williamson
13 May 2005, 06:18 PM
...Wills, deeds, etc. are not events. Wouldn't it be better to enter them as notes, multimedia items or shared sources?The writing or probating of a will most certainly would be an event, as would the creation or transmittal of a deed.

metfordplatt
14 May 2005, 05:31 AM
Wills, deeds, etc. are not events. Wouldn't it be better to enter them as notes, multimedia items or shared sources?This is why I like Reunion, because you can expand your Events by making new gedcom tags. But I heartily disagree. Wills *are* events. More so than burials (which are hard dates to come by). You have will dated and will proved. I have put them into my Events section and the expanded text I put in the Misc. Notes field.

In a lot of older sources, there are only death years known, but when a will turns up, frequently there is a month between dating and the proving of the will. As in Reunion you can choose alternate events for sorting or appearing on charts, I've set my Reunion for replacing death dates with wp. when the death year is empty

Anne C Booth
14 May 2005, 01:26 PM
Please expand on your statement here.

Wills, deeds, etc. are not events. Wouldn't it be better to enter them as notes, multimedia items or shared sources?Greg, and the rest of you, thanks for writing. The purpose of my original questions about gedtags was to find some way to transfer my FACTS and NOTES to my daughter-in-law's Legacy program on PC.

In my Facts and Notes sections I have about 50 sub-headings, with custom gedtags. Among the sub-headings are things like Wills, Estates, Name, Migration, Family, and on and on. While I put wills in my notes (under Wills), I also have in Events sub-headings such as Date Will Signed, Probate Date, and so forth. When it comes to Notes and Facts, if the item is short enough for Facts, I put it under its sub-heading in Facts. In Notes I have put in things so long that Reunion would not accept them, forcing me to give that person two cards.

On the line in the Program that says "Facts", I put an index of the facts that are in the following lines; thus making the titles of all my facts show up in the family card ...to look something like this: Nickname...Immigration..Health.. Residence..Occupation..Education.

Why I try to get them into Legacy, All I get is the Index on the top line of Facts.

I finally resorted to making a copy of Reunion and manually changing all Facts to be just Facts with no sub-topics; and the same with Notes. After changing the data of about 3,000 people out of 15,000, I have decided that I would rather just give my daughter-in-law a Mac powerbook with Reunion and all my data....unless someone can tell me a way to solve this problem.

Thank you all for writing about this problem.

Anne C Booth

Gregg
16 May 2005, 02:03 PM
The writing or probating of a will most certainly would be an event, as would the creation or transmittal of a deed.Yes, I agree with this and I guess I should have worded my question a bit differently.

What I wanted to know was why wills and deeds can't be entered into Reunion as events and what does Legacy offer when entering an event that Reunion doesn't.

jmo
16 May 2005, 10:32 PM
I, too, have a number of customized GEDCOM tags for Events, Facts and Notes. If your daughter's genealogy program will not recognize custom GEDCOM tags and correctly assign them as generic Events, Facts or Notes, the next easiest step is to change the GEDCOM tags in the GEDCOM, using a text processor such as TextEdit, BBEdit or TextWrangler, or a word processor such as AppleWorks or MS Word (be sure to save the resulting file back as a plain text document).

You would do a global change once for each custom type, changing the custom tag "WILL" to the standard "NOTE". So, if you had a custom GEDCOM tag for Wills, "WILL", you would have a GEDCOM line like:

1 WILL The will was witnessed by....

You could change all "1 WILL" to "1 NOTE". If using BBEdit, you could specify changing only if that was the start of a line: "^1 WILL" to "1 NOTE".

You could also build a script to do this automatically (with BBEdit or TextWrangler) and just run the script each time you create a GEDCOM.

Custom Fact tags would transfer over fine as NOTE as well, but custom Events might be a problem.

I like your idea of giving her a Mac, of course... :)

Joe

Anne C Booth
19 May 2005, 12:29 PM
You would do a global change once for each custom type, changing the custom tag "WILL" to the standard "NOTE". So, if you had a custom GEDCOM tag for Wills, "WILL", you would have a GEDCOM line like. . .Everybody who was kind enough to give me help on my Gedtag problem, I want to thank you again. I tried changing all the Gedtags to "Notes" to transfer to Legacy. It worked great. Everything went into the "Notes". They are all in one big bag for each person, but easy to access and easy to read.

My best to all of you. You have saved me the price of a computer...smile.

Anne Booth