PDA

View Full Version : emailing web family cards to Windows users

daw640
20 May 2007, 12:44 PM
I've been trying to email a set of Web Cards created by R9 to a couple of Windows users. They are unable to download the cards because of a virus warning. I have sent the cards both Zipped and unZipped (fully aware that the data is likely to be corrupted) to see whether ZipIt may be causing the problem. Both still trigger the virus warning from their mail servers. One recipient uses Hotmail and the other is in the UK so I don't know about that one. I've done this many times in the past with previous versions of Reunion without a hitch.

I have used several different styles as well: Brown Leather, Olive, Simple_1, and Simple_2 with the same result.

Against my better judgment I also actually bought virus software (arrrrgh!! I can't believe I admitted that), which, of course, confirmed what I was already sure of - no viruses found!

As expected, there is no difficulty when sending the cards to another Mac.

I could send the cards on CD, but that's not going to resolve the main problem.

Has anyone else experienced this difficulty? Or am I overlooking something?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Dave Williams
Reunion 9.04, OS 10.4.9, 2GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook, 2GB RAM

ttl
20 May 2007, 01:21 PM
Are they unable to download because of the warning or just unwilling to download because of the warning?

If they're just unwilling perhaps some reassurance from you would be all that's needed.

It's hard to say why there's a warning, but some filters are tighter and have more false alarms than others. Perhaps someone could answer if R9 uses javascript at all?

daw640
20 May 2007, 03:51 PM
The US recipient on Hotmail is not being permitted to download because of the warning. I'm not sure about the UK recipient. But I'm a trifle reluctant to urge her to ignore the warning and try to download anyway because although we're related we've just established contact. I'd really hate to cause her any problems whatever by telling her to go ahead and download the file.

Dave Williams
Reunion 9.04, OS 10.4.9, 2GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook, 2GB RAM

ttl
20 May 2007, 04:41 PM
I sympathize with your situation.

However, if the warning is triggered even when the files are zipped, I have a hard time understanding how the problem would be with Reunion, because I doubt the filter would be decoding the archive and looking at the content of the Reunion files.

daw640
20 May 2007, 05:34 PM
There has been a wee bit of progress.

It seems that at least part of the problem is with Hotmail. I have sent the Zipped file to another recipient (in the US) through a Yahoo email address and that one does not object to viruses.

The file downloads and unZips, but the links from the Cover page to the Home Card, Index, etc. are broken. The browser tries to find files on the Internet instead of in the Web Card folder.

Am I missing something here?

Dave Williams

Tom Robinson
22 May 2007, 02:46 AM
I have a hard time understanding how the problem would be with Reunion, because I doubt the filter would be decoding the archive and looking at the content of the Reunion files.
Actually lots of the filters do look inside zip files (and other compressed formats).

Given web cards are simply text it's most likely a keyword which is triggering the filter (sex, money, stock... you know the ones)

You can trick some filters by adding another extension. e.g. my family cards.zip.removeme

You could also upload the zip file somewhere, and ask the recipient to download it.

Bill Williams
22 May 2007, 01:28 PM
Hi Cousin!

I've been trying to email a set of Web Cards created by R9 to a couple of Windows users. They are unable to download the cards because of a virus warning. I have sent the cards both Zipped and unZipped (fully aware that the data is likely to be corrupted) to see whether ZipIt may be causing the problem. Both still trigger the virus warning from their mail servers. One recipient uses Hotmail and the other is in the UK so I don't know about that one. I've done this many times in the past with previous versions of Reunion without a hitch.

I have used several different styles as well: Brown Leather, Olive, Simple_1, and Simple_2 with the same result.

Against my better judgment I also actually bought virus software (arrrrgh!! I can't believe I admitted that), which, of course, confirmed what I was already sure of - no viruses found!

As expected, there is no difficulty when sending the cards to another Mac.

I could send the cards on CD, but that's not going to resolve the main problem.

Has anyone else experienced this difficulty? Or am I overlooking something?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

I think the problem may be with ZipIt! I'm using v. 2.2.2, and recently zipped plain .pdf files uploaded to a Web site for download couldn't be opened by my brother-in-laws PC. (There wasn't a lot of difference in size, so I uploaded the expanded files and he could read them just fine.)

If you're using Tiger it has zipping capability built in -- Control-Click on a file or folder, pull down the File menu and select "Create Archive", which might work better.

daw640
22 May 2007, 09:35 PM
First, thanks to Tim, Tom, and Bill for your comments and advice.

As I mentioned, there does seem to be something about the files, Zipped or not, that Hotmail doesn't like. (I've since discovered that my intended recipient in the UK is also using Hotmail.)

I find Bill's comment about ZipIt 2.2.2 interesting, and I was beginning to wonder myself whether it might be the culprit. It hasn't undergone an update in the last couple of years anyway. I am aware of Tiger's compression capabilities, but it hadn't occurred to me to use it. Duhhh!

That's my next step. And if that doesn't work, I'll try Tom's suggestion about uploading elsewhere for purposes of being downloaded in the UK.

Thanks again to all.

Dave Williams