PDA

View Full Version : Reunion 9, TNG - mark as living?

timokracke
19 May 2007, 01:14 PM
Hi everybody ...

I'am currently using Reunion 9 and export my data as gedcom, and import it to my website with TNG.

I'am struggeling a bit with the living mark.
TNG gave me the option on import - "don't calc living-sign again", but I couldn't find out wich setting to make in Reunion to mark anyone as living?!

I could use "privacy-filter" on export, but this will replace the name with (Living), that's not what I like - just want to a checkbox for Living.

Anyone an idea?!
Thanks ...

theKiwi
19 May 2007, 01:48 PM
Hi Timo

You can't do what you're trying to do.

For the people concerned to you have a birthdate?

If so, export the GEDCOM from Reunion without any Privacy settings in place, and let TNG handle the privacy, and let TNG re-calculate the Living flag each time.

If you don't have a birthdate for those people in Reunion there are a couple of options I can think of...

give them an approximate birthdate in Reunion - like "aft 1950" for example. This would then let TNG treat them as living because it will see aft 1950 as 1 Jan 1951.

Or you can use the script for TNG that has been developed that would let you reset the Living flag after you've done a GEDCOM import into TNG. For this to work, you first have to go through your TNG database and set the Living flag for all those people who you don't have a birthdate for, but you know are living. Then the script saves those for you before a GEDCOM import and then lets you restore them "en masse" after a GEDCOM import.

See this thread

http://www.tngforum.us/index.php?showtopic=1087

in the TNG forum.

Cheers

Roger

timokracke
19 May 2007, 02:41 PM
Hi Roger ...

For the people concerned to you have a birthdate?

No!

If you don't have a birthdate for those people in Reunion there are a couple of options I can think of...

give them an approximate birthdate in Reunion - like "aft 1950" for example. This would then let TNG treat them as living because it will see aft 1950 as 1 Jan 1951.

Or you can use the script for TNG that has been developed that would let you reset the Living flag after you've done a GEDCOM import into TNG. For this to work, you first have to go through your TNG database and set the Living flag for all those people who you don't have a birthdate for, but you know are living. Then the script saves those for you before a GEDCOM import and then lets you restore them "en masse" after a GEDCOM import.

See this thread

http://www.tngforum.us/index.php?showtopic=1087

in the TNG forum.

hhhmmm, nice ideas!
But for what is this option in the GEDCOM-import "Do not recalculate Living flag"?! This means to me that there must be an option to set this living-flag?! I wrote to Darrin, may he could tell me what the import-script searches for - which kind of flag :-)

If I got news, I drop you a message!

theKiwi
19 May 2007, 03:08 PM
There are some genealogy softwares that do support the Living flag in the software.

If you don't check the Do not recalculate living option in TNG, then I think what happens if that someone who you have already marked as living, will stay as living, even if your latest import contains a death date for that person. TNG will still think they're alive.

Roger

timokracke
20 May 2007, 04:07 AM
Hi Roger ...

If you don't check the Do not recalculate living option in TNG, then I think what happens if that someone who you have already marked as living, will stay as living, even if your latest import contains a death date for that person. TNG will still think they're alive.

yes - thats exactly what it does! I aseked Darrin for that.
"Do not recalculate Living flag" will let the "Living flag" on next import and just calculates the newer ones.

Thanks for you support ;o)