PDA

View Full Version : Is Reunion right for me?

Brooke
02 May 2005, 06:22 PM
I am thinking about buying Reunion 8, but have some questions after I used the free demo. Any help would be most welcome.

ddcathca
03 May 2005, 11:35 PM
I haven't got the answers, just more questions. I am wondering too if Reunion is right for me. I have several detailed family trees which I created in Family Tree Maker (FTM) which I maintain at Gencircles.com. I downloaded that tree gedcom to Reunion 8 and can't find my source notations and a lot of the facts e.g. a great deal of census info which I post into FTM. It seems I lost info from the gencircles tree when I loaded the gedcom into Reunion 8.

Detailed source info and notes are important to me so that other researchers will know what is the basis for my tree. And it's important to me to be able to share that info at gencircles.com. I am worried about losing data from my tree at gencircles.com when I download my old trees as gedcoms into Reunion 8, and about not being able to upload all the soure info etc. to gencircles from Reunion 8.

Do any of you share these concerns? I want to share my research info. I have put years into it and I don't want it to die with me. I would like to be able to maintain and update a detailed family tree with source information at some website such as gencircles.com so others can benefit from my findings. Can Reunion 8 do this? Is there another mac genealogy program that will? Or should I go back to FTM and the PC?

Mary Arthur
04 May 2005, 01:22 AM
I haven't got the answers, just more questions. I am wondering too if Reunion is right for me. I have several detailed family trees which I created in Family Tree Maker (FTM) which I maintain at Gencircles.com. I downloaded that tree gedcom to Reunion 8 and can't find my source notations and a lot of the facts e.g. a great deal of census info which I post into FTM. <snip>
I would like to be able to maintain and update a detailed family tree with source information at some website such as gencircles.com so others can benefit from my findings. Can Reunion 8 do this? Is there another mac genealogy program that will? Or should I go back to FTM and the PC?No software will download a gedcom correctly - try putting the gedcom into an empty FTM file and you will have the similar problems. If you start using Reunion, you will have to enter some information, most notes and many sources again, then you will be able to upload a ged com to gencirles.com (or other web pages). It is a great program, and is very flexible, (in my opinion, beter than FTM) but switching programs is always difficult at first. Using a Mac gives you more time to work on genealogy as there is less down time than with a PC. :-)

Mary Arthur

Mary Arthur
04 May 2005, 01:28 AM
[QUOTE=Brooke]I am thinking about buying Reunion 8, but have some questions after I used the free demo. Any help would be most welcome.

1. Is there a problem with entering multiple families who may or may not be related?

2. I need to be able to print out all the information I have collected on each person, family etc. (including the sources). I used the report function on the Reunion demo, and my information was there but it was buried in extraneous numbers and words, slashes, dots etc. Obviously impossible to use. Perhaps this is just the demo (I couldn

martha
04 May 2005, 02:58 AM
[QUOTE=Brooke]I am thinking about buying Reunion 8, but have some questions after I used the free demo. Any help would be most welcome.

SVass
04 May 2005, 06:26 PM
I haven't got the answers, just more questions. I am wondering too if Reunion is right for me. I have several detailed family trees which I created in Family Tree Maker (FTM) which I maintain at Gencircles.com. I downloaded that tree gedcom to Reunion 8 and can't find my source notations and a lot of the facts e.g. a great deal of census info which I post into FTM. It seems I lost info from the gencircles tree when I loaded the gedcom into Reunion 8.

Detailed source info and notes are important to me so that other researchers will know what is the basis for my tree. And it's important to me to be able to share that info at gencircles.com. I am worried about losing data from my tree at gencircles.com when I download my old trees as gedcoms into Reunion 8, and about not being able to upload all the soure info etc. to gencircles from Reunion 8.

Do any of you share these concerns? I want to share my research info. I have put years into it and I don't want it to die with me. I would like to be able to maintain and update a detailed family tree with source information at some website such as gencircles.com so others can benefit from my findings. Can Reunion 8 do this? Is there another mac genealogy program that will? Or should I go back to FTM and the PC?Let me suggest that as has been said that nothing will accept all of your data.
You should save your gedcom. Realize that you can open it with a word processor and manually copy and paste from it into Reunion or another program. Do not lose your original gedcom. Create a copy and perhaps edit it. Sharing data is presently best accomplished by creating a book or other kind of hard copy. Electronic copies will cease to exist as will FTM. sam

ddcathca
04 May 2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the replies and good ideas. I am encouraged by the responsiveness of Reunion Talk. I will come here again for help. It's really great to get speedy input to ones frustrations.

DD Cathcart
My Second Day with Reunion
Learning my way around thanks to RT