PDA

View Full Version : Reunion 4.08 windows (not Mac) version - help with deleted file

Candessa
07 May 2007, 08:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I made a major boo boo on my Windows Reunion programme, and thought that if I deleted unmarked cards, I would get rid of spouses without names or identities. However, unmarked cards meant any card that I hadn't ticked!!!!

So..., I've 'lost' 29 years of information. My back up is several months old. There is a file with the info in, and I've managed to open it once, it contains all the people still, (whew!), BUT how do I change this (PDB) file to an
RCX file? No, right mouse clicking to change the name and file extension doesn't change it.

Any help gratefully accepted, I don't want to restore the old backup as still may delete the PDB file (which is possibly the card file)

No, the manufacturers are of no help, they sold the programme to another firm about 10 years ago, and I can't work out how to contact their new owners.

Thanks

Candy (Perth, Western Australia)

Gregg
07 May 2007, 10:58 AM
...I've 'lost' 29 years of information. My back up is several months old. There is a file with the info in, and I've managed to open it once, it contains all the people still...Your best bet would be to work from your backup which is only several months old....how do I change this (PDB) file to an RCX file?Reunion 4 requires both the PDB and the RCX files, they are two different files and one can not be changed into the other.I don't want to restore the old backup as still may delete the PDB file (which is possibly the card file)You should make a safety copy of what you have now before restoring the backup. Keep in mind that in Reunion 4 a family file is actually a folder of PDB, FDB, NDB, RCX etc. files. You need to treat this folder and its content as a whole and be sure not to move files in and out of this folder.

Sorry that we don't have a better solution for you.

Mongold
09 May 2007, 09:32 AM
...they sold the programme to another firm about 10 years ago, and I can't work out how to contact their new owners.

I believe that the old "Reunion" program that was sold is now called "Generations" and is owned by Bruderbund (sp). Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bob in NC

Bob White
10 May 2007, 04:05 AM
Dick Eastman reported in his July 25, 2002, column that genealogy.com had purchased Generations from Sierra. I couldn't find anything showing what happened to the program after that.

Peter Cook
11 May 2007, 01:44 AM
Dick Eastman reported in his July 25, 2002, column that genealogy.com had purchased Generations from Sierra. I couldn't find anything showing what happened to the program after that..

A quick check on Google appears to indicate that while the 2002 press release about the sale to the Broderbund arm of genealogy.com is still on the genealogy.com site; Broderbund don't now sell or support it.

There is however an active forum operating on Genforums (at genealogy.com) where current users may be able to help ...

http://genforum.genealogy.com/generations/

Troy
16 May 2007, 10:44 AM
Hi---

Just to add my 2-cents worth.

I had the last version (I think) of the Generations software (version 8.5a dated June 6, 2002) before it was 'abandoned' by Broderbund.

I checked the Generations' help and it says that it supports importing Reunion 5 files into its Generations file format.

If that is true, then Candy's Reunion 4.08 file would probably have to be brought in by GECOM import.

Hope this helps.

Troy---