PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good voice recorder?

xejn
29 April 2007, 12:01 PM
I want the following features:

Bob White
29 April 2007, 08:41 PM
Do you have an iPod? If so, look at http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/earphones_recorders/micromemo_nano_2g/.

Various settings are possible. The smallest iPod 2GB will do up to 3 hours in High Quality mode. I've seen it demo'd and it works quite slickly.

xejn
30 April 2007, 08:58 AM
Do you have an iPod? If so, look at http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/earphones_recorders/micromemo_nano_2g/.

Various settings are possible. The smallest iPod 2GB will do up to 3 hours in High Quality mode. I've seen it demo'd and it works quite slickly.

I have a 1st Gen Nano, no mic options for that model

dseifert
01 May 2007, 07:22 AM
I use this
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1193

Bob White
02 May 2007, 03:28 AM
[QUOTE=xejn]I have a 1st Gen Nano, no mic options for that model

Bill Gerber
02 May 2007, 10:15 PM
My old iPod (gen 2 - 3?) with a Griffin "iTalk" mic works quite well, even from half way across a small lecture hall. And, the iPod battery seems to last a long while. (I've not exhausted it yet; recorded a 1-1/2+ hour meeting.) When sync'ing, the voice-file will upload to iTunes, from which it can be exported.

Works fine for me.

HTH,

Bill G.

STEVE
03 May 2007, 06:54 PM
You might consider not being on the cutting edge. I use a Panasonic voice-activated micro tape recorder/player. Hours of recording on pretty cheap tape, which I archive after transcribing. I've got a foot-controlled transcribing machine so transcribing is very little trouble. Or, I guess you could just plug the recorder into the microphone jack on the Mac and upload it that way. Then let the Mac save it in whatever format you prefer. I'd still archive the tapes though.

The best thing I did to get really good recordings is buy a pair (they come as pairs) of condenser microphones from Radio Shack, a Y-jack and a sack full of batteries and micro-tapes. Some recorders use AA, some AAA batteries. The condenser microphones use watch batteries. Being chicken, I replace them every time I start an interview. The tiny mikes come with clips that I fasten to the interviewee and my clothes. I get beautiful, easy to transcribe tapes that usually include everyone in the room.

This has worked very well for me for years and I've seen no advantage to the newer technology --- and some drawbacks.

Hope this helps.... STEVE

Katharine Ott
23 March 2009, 05:51 PM
The query about a good voice recorder was posted in 2007, so I thought I might see what the response is now. I am working on an eMac OS 10.3.9 and Reunion 8.02. I guess my first question is, if I record a relative with a digital voice recorder, can I attach that to the Reunion multimedia window of that relative? Will I be doing that in a mp3 format? I saw Bob White's answer to use an iPod, but the link does not go the the correct place anymore. I have a 4GB iPod - can that be used for recording? And if I shop for a dedicated recorder, are they all Mac-compatible? The ones I looked at online just said PC, which doesn't really mean Windows. So many questions! I appreciate any input. Thanks.

kyuck
23 March 2009, 06:29 PM
Snip...And if I shop for a dedicated recorder, are they all Mac-compatible? The ones I looked at online just said PC, which doesn't really mean Windows. So many questions! I appreciate any input. Thanks.
They are NOT all Mac compatible. I purchased a Olympus Digital Voice Recorder (DVR) WS-311M, at Radio Shack for about $50 and it works really well. It is stereo (as are most now) and it has excellent (and variable) sensitivity. It has four levels of quality (one mono, three stereo) and on the lowest quality it will record 137 hrs non-stop. It uses only one AAA battery and it measures 3 3/4 in long, 1 1/2 in wide and 1/2 in deep. I have no interest in the Olympus company but I really like my DVR.

Bob White
23 March 2009, 09:03 PM
I have no need for lengthy recordings. I am now using iTalk on my iPhone. See a thread today in the iPhone area of ReunionTalk. :)