PDA

View Full Version : Reunion and Spotlight

Ernst Schuiki
30 April 2005, 07:34 PM
As far as I have seen, Reunion works fine with Tiger. But it obviously does not support the Spotlight search feature of the new Mac OS. Using Spotlight to look for particular names in the Reunion database gave only negative results in my case. Maybe this can be fixed in a future update.

Bob Goode
02 May 2005, 01:18 AM
As far as I have seen, Reunion works fine with Tiger. But it obviously does not support the Spotlight search feature of the new Mac OS. Using Spotlight to look for particular names in the Reunion database gave only negative results in my case. Maybe this can be fixed in a future update.

I believe the issue with spotlight and applications such as Reunion is the need for Leister to create a metadata plugin. As you can see if you visit the site listed below, some of the plugins are available for some apps.
Hopefully, a metadata plug in for Reunion can be created or included in Version 9.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/spotlight/

Bob

Frank C
13 February 2006, 01:42 PM
I would hope Reunion 9 would have this feature. Surely it would be a a big help.

I have over 1200 names on my file and a Spotlight search feature would save me time and frustration.

theKiwi
13 February 2006, 03:19 PM
I would hope Reunion 9 would have this feature. Surely it would be a a big help.

I have over 1200 names on my file and a Spotlight search feature would save me time and frustration.

I'm curious - how would a spotlight search save you time and frustration - if you know what you want is in Reunion, why not just use Reunion's Find Anything, or the Index to find it - why wait for spotlight to dredge through all your eMails and documents and pictures and PDF files looking for something you know to be in Reunion?

I have over 80,000 messages saved in Mail, thousands of documents in my Home folder, thousands of images, and am generally quite underwhelmed by Spotlight overall - if I know it's in a Reunion file I can find it fairly quickly in Reunion. Similarly Spotlight is underwhelming enough that I'm not sure I'd want it bogged down further by having to deal with all the contents of two family files I manage which total over 80,000 names.

plink plink

Roger

Urs Geiser
13 February 2006, 07:29 PM
I'm curious - how would a spotlight search save you time and frustration - if you know what you want is in Reunion, why not just use Reunion's Find Anything, or the Index to find it - why wait for spotlight to dredge through all your eMails and documents and pictures and PDF files looking for something you know to be in Reunion?
Fully agreed!

About the only time I could imagine Spotlight would be useful is if you had dozens of family files, and you didn't remember in which file a particular name occurred. Perhaps there are a few users with such requirements, but probably not very many.

(Actually, this is a moot point for me, as I'm still at OS 10.3.9)

jaygalvin
14 February 2006, 09:33 PM
You may be missing the advantages of Spotlight... two quick examples:

- If I type USS Yorktown into Spotlight it should tell me that I have a .JPG file, two MSWord documents telling grandpa's story, AND that I have it listed on his record in Reunion. If coincidentally there is another family member who served on the Yorktown it would also show up.

- If I'm planning a trip to Weisbaden for work or fun, and I type it into Spotlight to find my itinerary... surprise! Grandma Didion was born there!

The point is, I didn't have to go into Reunion to find connected information.

Right now there is a trove of cities, years, churches, diseases, companies, etc. buried in my Reunion files. Spotlight will let me connect it to other things on my computer. I don't need Spotlight to tell me whether I put Grandma or Grandpa into Reunion, I need it for all the little details that are easier to find with a global search.

Please build a Spotlight plug-in for Reunion 9!

Jay

dcosten
15 February 2006, 11:18 AM
Spotlight is capable of searching GEDCOM files, or any plain-text files for that matter. It may not be the best method, but it's a quick and easy way to check if a name is familiar without loading up any programs.

Bob Rugo
15 February 2006, 07:25 PM
Spotlight is capable of searching GEDCOM files, or any plain-text files for that matter. It may not be the best method, but it's a quick and easy way to check if a name is familiar without loading up any programs.

Spotlight also searches any "Web Family Cards" that you have created in Reunion and saved on your computer.

Bob Rugo
http://homepage.mac.com/bobrugo

colinc
12 March 2009, 12:34 PM
I believe the issue with spotlight and applications such as Reunion is the need for Leister to create a metadata plugin. As you can see if you visit the site listed below, some of the plugins are available for some apps.
Hopefully, a metadata plug in for Reunion can be created or included in Version 9.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/spotlight/
Bob
This post started all but 4 years ago - I have only just realised that R9 still seem not to support Spotlight. This is a real pain for me as I have been transferring all my free text biog notes to the R9 Note field and they are now effectively un-findable unless I can remember which person a fact belongs to!

Where is the plug-in?

Cheers, Colin

theKiwi
12 March 2009, 02:01 PM
This post started all but 4 years ago - I have only just realised that R9 still seem not to support Spotlight. This is a real pain for me as I have been transferring all my free text biog notes to the R9 Note field and they are now effectively un-findable unless I can remember which person a fact belongs to!

Where is the plug-in?

There is no plug in that I'm aware of.

And if you know that the text is in Reunion, you can use

Find Anything ------> Any Field ------> Contains

to search for the people that have your desired text string anywhere in their record.

Roger

colinc
13 March 2009, 12:24 PM
There is no plug in that I'm aware of.

And if you know that the text is in Reunion, you can use

Find Anything ------> Any Field ------> Contains

to search for the people that have your desired text string anywhere in their record.

Roger
Thanks for that - but you have to agree it is very clunky for a Mac.

Q - How long was Spotlight available before Reunion 9 came out?
A - April 29, 2005, so nearly 2 years.

Q - How long does it take for the developer to bring their product into line with Tiger?
A - Longer than it takes Apple to replace Tiger with Leopard, it seems!

Hey, ho, Colin

fjvanbodegom
13 March 2009, 12:36 PM
In my opinion Spotlight is nearly useless for searching persons, facts and details in the Reunion familyfile.
Suppose you have 20 persons in you file with the name John Johnsson, do you really think Spotlight is usefull ? ?
In Reunion you search for four independant criteria ! !, in Spotlight, you can use only one.
So I think mr. Colinc is yoking with his comment.

theKiwi
13 March 2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks for that - but you have to agree it is very clunky for a Mac.

Well I actually find Spotlight itself kind of clunky, at least without coming to grips with a bunch of syntax it seems getting the result I want is kind of a 50/50 shot usually, where as Reunion's Find Anything usually gives me exactly what I'm looking for - although the ability to search on a string longer than 25 characters would be very nice!! And doing the search inside Reunion doesn't return matches in all the other places that I don't want - like file names if I'm looking for content, or content if I'm looking only for a file name etc

So no, I don't have to agree, and in fact I don't :-)

Roger

ByronSpoon
13 March 2009, 07:33 PM
... but you have to agree it [Reunion's Find Anything] is very clunky for a Mac. ...I disagree. Blame it on inexperience if you like, but the ONLY use I have for Spotlight is to find a "lost" file given that I have some knowledge about its name or contents. I know of no file that Spotlight can examine and tell me to which substructure (e.g., record) within a file that a character string is associated.

Can Spotlight tell me to which checking or credit accounts in my finances database that a specific payee name appears within a specific date range? Can Spotlight tell me to which antiques collectible items in my collections database that an attribute or valuation appears? Can Spotlight tell me to which persons in my family file that a particular geographic location is associated? I think the answer for each of these examples is "no". Spotlight would have to know the specifics of each application's file structure in order to determine this detail, and there are likely nearly as many different file organizations as there are applications.

As a result financial and records management programs have their own Find function, just as genealogy data base programs have their Find function. And I offer that Reunion's Find Anything function is an extremely powerful, versatile, and irreplaceable tool.