PDA

View Full Version : I can no longer access my main file - help!

smeehan
30 April 2005, 09:17 AM
To my great surprise, I found yesterday that I could no longer access my main file. I am getting an Unexpected Quit message. This is what I have done - to no avail - to respond to this disaster:
1. I repaired permissions
2. I shut down and restarted
3. I used Disk Warrior
4. I pulled up my last backup from an external drive, discarded the bad master file, and replaced it it with the backup. Nothing works.

I notice that I can open a sample file that comes with Reunion 8, so the problem seems to be specifically within my master file.

I am running 10.3.8 on a G-4 tower.

Luckily, I also have a G-3 iBook, running a reasonably up-to-date working copy of my master file. That gives me some comfort. Quite a lot, actually, or it would, if I knew why I can't get into my major working file. I am operating at the very outer edge of my technical competence here, so any suggestions will have to be written in very clear and specific language, if I am to understand!

Thanking you heartily in advance -

Susan Meehan

David G. Kanter
30 April 2005, 03:14 PM
. . .I. . .discarded the bad master file. . . .While I'll defer to others on what your next steps ought to be, I want to suggest that

David G. Kanter
30 April 2005, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=David G. Kanter]While I

David G. Kanter
30 April 2005, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=David G. Kanter]Update: I'll report back to her and this forum on whether I have any success opening that Family File on my computer

smeehan
30 April 2005, 08:26 PM
I cannot thank David Kanter enough! David, you are truly kind, knowledgeable and helpful. With your help, not only did I resurrect my file from the Dead, but I learned so much more as well. You are a true teacher and a gentleman to your fingertips.

Isn't it wonderful that Apple and Reunion have inspired so many people to be so helpful! I doubt that other configurations would be able to so that. There is something very special about Apple users, and when you add on Reunion users, well, you're a very special breed, and I'm honored to be one of you.

I thank you very, very much!

Susan Meehan (happy now...)

SGilbert
01 May 2005, 12:16 AM
David didn't tell you he's an insurance salesman, and now he's got access to your entire family!

Just KIDDING!! :-) Good job David! You make us all proud!

Gregg
02 May 2005, 09:57 AM
...File->Repair and the only problem reported was "Removed invalid layout: To Do:". I then did a File->Save A Copy->Compact Copy...After reviewing the symtoms and repair results of this family file with David Kanter, the problem with this file was a corrupted User View named "To Do:". This view was selected as the default view so Reunion would crash right away. Deleting that view was the best solution and David's Repair and Compact did just that.

Thanks David, for fixing this for Susan.