PDA

View Full Version : How to divide family histories

kaloskie
27 April 2005, 12:45 PM
I would like to make a CD for my family and my wife's family so that each CD only has the information of each half.
How can this be done?

Jerry

fmlyhntr
27 April 2005, 11:44 PM
I would like to make a CD for my family and my wife's family so that each CD only has the information of each half.
How can this be done?As long as there are no intermarriages between your family and your wife's, this should work. This is how I split mine up to post to rootsweb.

1. *Temporary* break the link between you and your wife and children (this can vary--you may find that breaking the link with your parents will give you more what you want). (Drag one name while in the family field to the clipboard.) Just to make restoring things at the end, put you and your wife up in the bookmarks.

2. Mark all relatives of your wife. Go to find, then to mark groups. Then tell it to mark all relatives of your wife (this is why there can't be any intermarriages).

3. Now go to File: Import/Export: Export Gedcom. You will create a Gedcom of all the marked people. (Whether you include sources is up to you).

4. Restore all the broken links.

5. Open the Gedcom (make a new file) if you want--or to check on privacy filters etc.

Hope this helps.

Christina

kaloskie
28 April 2005, 07:05 PM
Thank you for the ideas. Will give it a try.
Jerry