PDA

View Full Version : Problems exporting GEDCOM with umlauts to PhpGedView

Rueckert
10 April 2007, 09:10 PM
I have recently upgraded to Reunion 9, and have taken the jump to posting the data on the web with PhpGedView.

I've gotten to the point of being able to get everything up and running nicely... except that I can't seem to be able to export (from Reunion) and import (to PhpGedView) any character with an umlaut on it (

theKiwi
10 April 2007, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=Rueckert]I have recently upgraded to Reunion 9, and have taken the jump to posting the data on the web with PhpGedView.

I've gotten to the point of being able to get everything up and running nicely... except that I can't seem to be able to export (from Reunion) and import (to PhpGedView) any character with an umlaut on it (

Rueckert
11 April 2007, 12:05 AM
Thank you Roger...

What Text Wrangler shows is that Reunion exported the umlauts the way it was supposed to and that MS Word can't read the .ged file properly.

So now it becomes a problem of PhpGedView not reading the UTF-8 .ged file properly.

Anyone out there use PhpGedView that can provide some insight?

Sebastian

theKiwi
11 April 2007, 07:14 AM
So now it becomes a problem of PhpGedView not reading the UTF-8 .ged file properly.

Is it possible that phpGedView is looking for the BOM at the start of the file - Byte Order Mark I think that stands for and since it's not finding it, doesn't handle the file correctly?

The GEDCOM files produced by Reunion 9 for UTF-8 output don't have a BOM at the start of them - the trial version of iFamily for Tiger complained about that some time ago when I tried it out (and wouldn't even start the GEDCOM import because of this).

http://unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html

has some information.

Roger

Tom Robinson
12 April 2007, 03:04 AM
Is it possible that phpGedView is looking for the BOM at the start of the file - Byte Order Mark I think that stands for and since it's not finding it, doesn't handle the file correctly?
You could quickly eliminate this by opening the GEDCOM in TextWrangler and saving it again as UTF-8 with a BOM.

Rueckert
14 April 2007, 04:03 PM
It appears after playing around that the problem was not with Reunion, but with PhpGedView and difficulties importing the data correctly.

But thanks for the lead to Text Wrangler.. certainly a much more useful program than MS Word for working with UTF-8 firles.