PDA

View Full Version : Scanned photos size... Way TOO BIG!!

rnkiii
24 April 2005, 03:50 PM
I am a fairly new user of Reunion 8.5 on my G5 iMac. I have a Canon LiDE 500f scanner that works very well, but here is my problem...

When I scan in an old photo to include in Reunion, I generally save it as a TIF file... and then I will link it to the 'MultiMedia' window of the respective relative. The problem comes about when I open that photo using the multimedia window.... the picture, no matter what the size when I scanned it in is HUGE and requires use of the scroll bars to see it all.....

How can I control the size of the view when opening a scanned in photo??

TIA for your help.

Bob K. rnkiii

SGilbert
24 April 2005, 05:16 PM
What program does your scanner use to import to? Most all image programs will let you resize the pics. Try that 1st. Also, in Reunions person page that contains a picture, there's a black dot in the lower-right corner of the pic. Put your mouse arrow on that dot and move it inward to resize the pic.

Not that it should matter, but why tif? Try using jpg as the save format. it's far more universal.

Steve W. Jackson
24 April 2005, 07:37 PM
I am a fairly new user of Reunion 8.5 on my G5 iMac. I have a Canon LiDE 500f scanner that works very well, but here is my problem...

When I scan in an old photo to include in Reunion, I generally save it as a TIF file... and then I will link it to the 'MultiMedia' window of the respective relative. The problem comes about when I open that photo using the multimedia window.... the picture, no matter what the size when I scanned it in is HUGE and requires use of the scroll bars to see it all.....

How can I control the size of the view when opening a scanned in photo??I'm one of those who prefers higher quality pics, and that often leads to what you're experiencing. When you first view the item after adding it in Reunion, look for the lower left part of its window and change the setting there to something smaller, like 50% or even 25%. It won't affect the image file itself in any way, but it will always open at that setting in Reunion's multimedia window views.

= Steve =

rnkiii
24 April 2005, 10:47 PM
Thank You both for you assistance.
Steve, I found the % slider about the same time you replied. Yes, reducing them to 25% works great.

SGilbert, I currently just scan directly to a save flle and do not go through any other software. My aim is to be able to make some 'fixes/ adjustments' to the photos I have but have not gotten to that point as yet. And the reason I use .tif is that I was told that that is a higher quality scan and can hold up to 'manipulation' better with out losing needed information. (But than again what do I know)

Again thank yoou both...

Bob K. rnkiii

conniegene
25 April 2005, 12:30 AM
. And the reason I use .tif is that I was told that that is a higher quality scan and can hold up to 'manipulation' better with out losing needed information. (But than again what do I know)What you say is correct. If you take jpgs and manipulate them 'too much'' and save then again and again you will lose pixels. Converting a jpg to a tif is better as long as you are tweaking it. Once it is where you want it you can save it as a jpg which is more universal and also smaller (I think).

What I am finding is the 'proper' thing to do is to save an original and then tweak a copy to your heart's desire...Yes it takes more space, but in the long run you will save time.

Barb

Dinee
26 April 2005, 05:16 PM
my question would be in relation to the size that the picture is, when we store them in the pics folder that the Multimedia window directs back to, when we create the link.

Should some pics be reduced to a particular size when they are being used for the website.

I'm using a .mac site and I might have 4-5 pictures for one person. Should I reduce the pics to any particular size?

Steve W. Jackson
03 May 2005, 07:28 PM
my question would be in relation to the size that the picture is, when we store them in the pics folder that the Multimedia window directs back to, when we create the link.

Should some pics be reduced to a particular size when they are being used for the website.

I'm using a .mac site and I might have 4-5 pictures for one person. Should I reduce the pics to any particular size?
Choose Web Cards from the Create menu and click the Web Options button. Then choose Media Page from the options, and you'll be able to set the maximum width and height of pictures. It only allows 504 pixels, which I find far too little for some purposes. But images that are larger than this appear to get reduced to that size. I don't know if Reunion does something to the image file, or if it simply uses HTML tags that specify the size (I haven't looked and don't currently have access to my own pages).

= Steve =